Sign in to follow this  
TacKLed

Artillery Bombardment?

Is there a way to have Artillery randomly bombard a city WITHOUT scripting?

Another question: Is there a way to have choppers land and unload troops while under fire because my choppers just flying around when under fire then doing what the waypoint says.

Edited by TacKLed

No.

Set the waypoint behavior to careless. - IMO, the best way to use a transport chopper is to set one up as empty, put in a pilot, put in gunners grouped to each other, but not grouped to the pilot.

Put this in the pilots init box...

this setVariable ["BIS_noCoreConversations", true];

You can also put this in the pilot init box, if you want...

this setBehaviour = "CARELESS";

Put this in the gunners iinit box...

this setCombatMode = "RED"; this setBehaviour = "COMBAT";

The scripting is fairly simple though just make it BOOM all around the city.

Have done bombardment with just triggers, but you still have to set up a bunch of stuff ( arty module etc ) and put a couple lines in the init fields. So yeah, kinda can, with difficulty. A scripted version can be a lot easier.

some arty scripts

_i = 0;
       while {_i < 20} do {
           _k = createVehicle ["Sh_105_HE",[(position _base select 0), (position _base select 1),50], [], _size, "NONE"];
           _i = _i + 1;
           sleep 1.0;
       };

or for larger bombing

_i = 0;
       while {_i < 6} do {
           _k = createVehicle ["Bo_GBU12_LGB",[(position _base select 0), (position _base select 1)-50,50], [], _size, "NONE"];
           _i = _i + 1;
           sleep 0.1;            
       };

or larger area

_i = 0;
       while {_i < 40} do {
           _k = createVehicle ["Sh_122_HE",[(position _base select 0), (position _base select 1),50], [], _size, "NONE"];
           _i = _i + 1;
           sleep 1.0;
       };        

or illumination

_flare_types = ["F_40mm_White","F_40mm_Green","F_40mm_Red","F_40mm _yellow"];
   _flare_max = (count _flare_types)-1;
   _theflare = _flare_types select (round random _flare_max);
   while {_i < 30} do
       {
           _rand_flare = random 100;
           _flare = _theflare createVehicle [(getPos _base select 0)+(_rand_flare-50), (getPos _base select 1)+(_rand_flare-50), 180];
           _i = _i + 1;
           sleep 20+((_rand_flare+10)/10);
       }; 

or random stuff falling from the sky

_bomb_types = ["Sh_122_HE","Sh_125_HE","ARTY_Sh_122_SMOKE","ARTY_R_120mm_HE_Rocket","Bo_FAB_250","Sh_105_HE","G_40mm_HE","Bo_Mk82","Sh_85_HE","GrenadeHand","SmokeShellPurple","SmokeShellOrange","ARTY_R_227mm_HE_Rocket","ARTY_Sh_82_WP","ARTY_Sh_105_ILLUM"];
       _bomb_max = (count _bomb_types)-1;
       _i=0;
       while {_i < 40} do
       {
           _thebomb = _bomb_types select (round random _bomb_max);
           _rand_bomb = random 200;
           _bomb = _thebomb createVehicle [(getPos _base select 0)+(_rand_bomb-100), (getPos _base select 1)+(_rand_bomb-100), 180];
           _i = _i + 1;
           sleep 5+(random 10);
       }; 

or a mortar barrage

_i = 0;
       while {_i < 6} do 
       {
           _k = createVehicle ["ARTY_Sh_82_HE",[(position _base select 0), (position _base select 1),50], [], _size, "NONE"];
           _i = _i + 1;
           sleep 2.5;
       };
       _i = 0;
       while {_i < 6} do 
       {
           _k = createVehicle ["ARTY_Sh_82_WP",[(position _base select 0), (position _base select 1),50], [], _size, "NONE"];
           _i = _i + 1;
           sleep 2.5;
       };

just exec one of these with the co-ordinates for _base

Another question: Is there a way to have choppers land and unload troops while under fire because my choppers just flying around when under fire then doing what the waypoint says.

Yes. It involves disabling AI target and autotarget, and repeating the LAND command until the helicopter is done unloading. CARELESS can be used but you can also use STEALTH (so the helicopter doesn't use lights).

Using an invisible Heliport marker makes things easier. If your chopper has gunners, they even might fire back while the helicopter is landing and unloading. You can have multiple choppers land together if you want.

You can create helicopter landing mission of this using my PlannedAssault mission generator. Download the resulting mission and inspect the mission.sqm and plannedassault/transport/*.sqf files how to do it. Feel free to edit the mission (it's yours) or reuse the scripts.

Does 0=[] spawn {...code...} in a triggers activation field count as "scripting"? :p

Yes! :p When a (new) person knows pretty much nothing, about nothing, which is usually the case in here. (No insult intended to anyone, 'cus I still know nothing, myself!)

And, sorry, TacKLed, I have been so busy trying to figure out some probs I was having, I forgot about this thread. (I know I am seeing RED from searching today, sheeesh!)

And, please, be a little more clear on what you want in regards to an artillery bombardment. Scenario?

EDIT: BTW, _William, I answered him as I did about the helo because it seemed as though he just wanted (or, could use) an editor solution. About STEALTH, that will not work as good as CARELESS. And for night, and about lights, yeah, there is really no good way to get the chopper to unload troops and keep the lights off without scripting of some sort.

Edited by CyOp