Sign in to follow this  
ray243

Making convoy move in a line?

Now, I've check the other thread on flying in a straight line, but this is different, I am having a vehicle convoy, and I want them to move in a straight line. Now, I have already searched high and low for a similar thread but couldn't find one.

So, its simple. I have the leading car, and 2 other car behind. I have all of the people in the car sync to the driver of the leading car, to make a convoy( Because I do not know jackshit about scripts, or that convoy script) then, I set the leading car's driver to move in a line formation, and tried both careless and safe, but for some goddamn reason, the car decides to change lane, and move like a snake.

All I want is to have all the cars in a damn straight line! Whats wrong with this!?

Also, does anyone know how to make all the cars keep at a equal distance?

Or how to use scripts/the convoy script someone made?

You want it moving in a column then, not in a line.

If you would have used the forum search, you would have seen this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96828

And this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=90208

But it's of course easier to let others do the research for you...

§7) Search before posting

If you have a question, please use the forum search function before posting to make sure that it hasn't been answered before. There is a big chance it has, not only does searching help to keep the forum free of multiple threads it will also help you to get an answer much quicker.

Ahh, okay, somehow, I'm a idiot.

Great, welcome to the group, the first step is admitting you have a problem. :yay:

That was a joke. ;)

Ahh, okay, somehow, I'm a idiot.

I second that! :p (JK)

And W0lle, I couldn't help but laughing at your first sentence. :) (I guess a civi would not get 'it'.)

ray243, is this convoy in your group? If not, and since it is just 3 vehicles, you can set each vehicle (and units in it) as separate groups, with their own waypoints. This will help them move along a little more precisely.

Also, about the waypoints, for the very first one for each vehicle, you can set it immediately in front of the vehicles/s (while zoomed in). Set a delay of a couple or more seconds (added) to each vehicle following the lead vehicle. This will help keep them off each others rear, at least for a little while.

If you do the above... at a turn, you can set the lead WP a little past the turn, #2 in the middle of the turn, and #3 a little behind that. That helps, too.

Yes, it's all more 'work', but may be worth it to you. - Bare in mind, the AI is not known for its driving ability. Whether one set of WPs for all, or separate, if you get them moving along to their destination reasonably well, just be satisfied, and don't frustrate yourself. :)

EDIT: Oh, yeah, if you want to try separate waypoints, you can do one complete route for one vehicle, then copy and paste. If nothing is named, you drag the paste close as possible, then do a 'lil 'fine tuning'. If vehicles are dif types, you can group what you want to the 'original', then delete the 'original', and the waypoint will be attached to the new vehicle.

Edited by CyOp

You want it moving in a column then, not in a line.

DOH! That went smooth over my head!

Like he said:

_grp setFormation "COLUMN";

I second that! :p (JK)

And W0lle, I couldn't help but laughing at your first sentence. :) (I guess a civi would not get 'it'.)

I hope you don't seriously think you could possibly know anything about someone's real life knowledge or experience based on a gaming forum. :rotfl:

Just to explain that so your not offended, I'm a Veteran and I didn't get 'it' either. :rotfl:

Edited by callihn

DOH! That went smooth over my head!

Like he said:

_grp setFormation "COLUMN";

I hope you don't seriously think you could possibly know anything about someone's real life knowledge or experience based on a gaming forum. :rotfl:

Just to explain that so your not offended, I'm a Veteran and I didn't get 'it' either. :rotfl:

No, smarty :p, but that one was waaay to obvious. Also, which I did not tell about, but was running through my mind, was a real life incident that was funny as heck (you had to be there, probably). I am still laughing thinking about it. :D Maybe I shoulf PM you. You really would be ROTFLYAO!

No, smarty :p, but that one was waaay to obvious.

I didn't think it was too obvious, sometimes even the simple things get overlooked. :p

I went right on with telling him how to get them in a line. :icon_ohmygod:

It is pretty common for people to use the word line to refer to a column, often as "a single file line".

If your going to be in the idiots club you have to get past the first step. ;)

No wait, change it to retard. That sounds better.

OK, OK, enough. You guys quit being mean to your self. :) As stated, things get over looked sometimes.

ray243, you came back in, and did not bother to tell us if you got your convoy setup (like you wanted).

Yeah, right now, with my constant crashing, its so hard to fix it. I can upload the mission file incase you guys want to have a look at it.

Yeah, right now, with my constant crashing, its so hard to fix it. I can upload the mission file incase you guys want to have a look at it.

OK... go.

Requirements:

Polish pack

ACE

Mercenaries

OA

Afghan village by OPX

CAA1

http://www.mediafire.com/?vqq2lqcrq8jd0zb

Another mission, same shit, but less stuff required. All you need is mercenaries pack and OA, ACE, and OA.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

http://www.mediafire.com/?u1cjab6wc2tmylr

Requirements:

Polish pack

ACE

Mercenaries

OA

Afghan village by OPX

CAA1

http://www.mediafire.com/?vqq2lqcrq8jd0zb

Another mission, same shit, but less stuff required. All you need is mercenaries pack and OA, ACE, and OA.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

http://www.mediafire.com/?u1cjab6wc2tmylr

Thank you for being clear about your mission requirements. Since I do not have 3 of the items...

would someone that has all that installed be so kind as to take a look at the mission?

I'm trying different things to get a convoy to work. If you can understand it, there's a convoy manager here at http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8389&highlight=CONVOY

And second, though Wolle's links did help. I'd like to say that I have spent hours, and I mean HOURS going through hundreds of pages because to be honest, the search function isn't the friendliest of attributes to this forum at all times. It's like a woman, you have to catch her on a good day to get what you want out of her.

I just wish that some people around here could step off their high mountains and stop being so derogatory towards people. I understand that some are lazy, but that's not everyone of us. Sometimes you just have to help out and break it down Barney style for us.

EDIT: Yes, I probably have been searching for tooooo long. I'm so stressed, that I took time to just play today and forget about the problems. I do have to say, that for me, A2: OA is bittersweet, it makes you so mad sometimes, but then when it works, I love it.

Anyways, didn't mean to offend any, guess I was venting, I really do appreciate all input and advice whether it's written in crayon or however it's given, cheers.

Edited by Raptor 6 Actual
A recount of words-

I'm trying different things to get a convoy to work. If you can understand it, there's a convoy manager here at http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8389&highlight=CONVOY

And second, though Wolle's links did help. I'd like to say that I have spent hours, and I mean HOURS going through hundreds of pages because to be honest, the search function isn't the friendliest of attributes to this forum at all times. It's like a woman, you have to catch her on a good day to get what you want out of her.

I just wish that some people around here could step off their high mountains and stop being so derogatory towards people. I understand that some are lazy, but that's not everyone of us. Sometimes you just have to help out and break it down Barney style for us.

A lot of problem with search is not the software, but the way people enter thread titles. The fact that too many people do not search well enough, and then post additional threads, does not help, either. And sometime, the person just does not know the correct term to search for to pull up what they need, which will sometimes lead to even more unnecessary threads. -- But, yes, search on forums does sometimes seem like a WTHeck endeavor, and can be a lesson in patience.

'I' rarely start a new thread. What I try to do is at least find a thread that is as close as possible to what I need help with and post in it. Or, one that is at least similar, and the thread OP has been answered.

BTW, what exactly are you 'going on' about with the, "high mountains", stuff, and what not. Also, I do not believe that anyone here (in this thread or in the forums) has ever called "everyone" lazy (about searching)! Anyway, why are you even posting that in this thread?

Guess you have been searching too looong, huh? :p

EDIT: Speaking for myself, I know one time I mentioned to someone about searching. I know I did that because I was sooo frustrated with searching forever through unnecessary threads, and I happened to come across a new unnecessary thread. I believe that probly most people that respond like that (about searching) had the same experience. But, again, yes, sometimes it is really hard to find stuff, and the person gives up and starts a thread.

Edited by CyOp

It's like a woman, you have to catch her on a good day to get what you want out of her.

Hehe, well I guess the same can be said about A2/OA herself :p

I don't think it's about high horses, at least not for most, and certainly not wrt convoys. But sometimes we just don't know. I've tried fighting the convoy stuff many times and with many "tools" (such as the manager), but all hell tend to break loose once you get into contact, at least in confined spaces (such as city streets). The fact that the AI is completely unaware of editor placed objects such as road blocks doesn't help a bit either.

So, I think most of us just gave up.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Wow indeed. Very smooth. I'm betting script using forceSpeed with limited speed or something. I've had the same results through the streets of Elektrozavodsk (?), but I never tried those speeds. However once mine got into enemy contact - well, forget smooth :o Wonder if this dude managed to get around that.

Wow, how in the world did he do that?

Actually, it isn't too hard to get that. I just used CyOp's advice about turning the convoy into individual groups rather than one large group, and then placed conditions on the waypoints for each unit, like:

this distance LeadCar > 20

and then for the next car:

this distance LeadCar > 40

It worked beautifuly. Though I did use "this forceSpeed (getSpeed LeadCar)" a couple of times...

yes please! if you dont mind of course? i would even find it very useful and im sure many others would too.

and btw thanks for sharing the info you posted above!