Sign in to follow this  
msy

A question puzzles me for years why separating the laser designator & battery?

A question puzzles me for years-- why separating the laser designator & battery?

Since OFP:R when use tripod laser designator you must load the battery first. At that time the laser designator might be made based on the model of AT launcher. When ARMA1 came, we have a new portable one, but there is still a battery in the magazine gear. Then ACE brings more kinds of laser instruments, but also with a battery respectively.

Now ARMA2 and ACE2 is still the same.

I know these laser machine must need battery to work properly, but I don't know why isn't the battery in the machine initially but as some kind ammunition which occupies a blank of ammo gear?

If it's the design of the game maker or a restrict of the game engine?

Edited by msy

Why doesn't anyone answer me? If I made serious grammar mistakes in the content or I wrote it in the wrong column?

The battery will eventually run dry, meaning that it is essentially a resource like any other (e.g. ammunition). So if you're out on a really long mission/trek/persistent campaign, you might find yourself unable to use the laser designator if you haven't been clever enough to stock up on batteries.

Not really sure WHY exactly they decided to model this particular thing 'realistically' (it's not like the flashlights on the guns in OA have batteries, amirite?), but I'm not complaining :)

Regards,

Wolfrug

Maybe because the player should know that some devices don't work instantly just by pressing a single button. ;)

...and yes BIS are not consistent/logical in their design of realism.

The battery will eventually run dry, meaning that it is essentially a resource like any other (e.g. ammunition). So if you're out on a really long mission/trek/persistent campaign, you might find yourself unable to use the laser designator if you haven't been clever enough to stock up on batteries.

Not really sure WHY exactly they decided to model this particular thing 'realistically' (it's not like the flashlights on the guns in OA have batteries, amirite?), but I'm not complaining :)

Regards,

Wolfrug

You mean the battery has its energy that can be used up in the game? I don't note this phenomenon before. I will try again. THX for reminding me.

Engine limitation. For a hand held item to be able to do something via the "fire" action it needs to have a magazine. I have not seen anything in the base configs of the game to suggest that it will run out.

You mean the battery has its energy that can be used up in the game? I don't note this phenomenon before. I will try again. THX for reminding me.

ACE2 simulates this as far as I know, I don't think batteries ever run out in the base game though.

It's probably just because of technical limitations. The RV engine does not yet support "magazineless" weapons (or weapons with perminantly fixed magazines). The closest you can do is just make the magazine take up no inventory slots, but you still need it to be able to fire the weapon.