Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Private Military Company (ARMA 2: PMC) DLC

it can fire many types of devastating ammunition, including frag-12, HE, HEDP, HEAB ...

Yea but why the drum mag? That's been done to death, IMO it'd make it look less cliché with a normal straight mag... unless you've finally added changable magazine proxies? :rolleyes: (doubt it)

Anyone know if there'll be a lite one, because i can't buy it straight away and i love mp

This is so awesome I can't even explain! Keep up the good work BIS. I'm loving these DLCs!

Yea but why the drum mag? That's been done to death, IMO it'd make it look less cliché with a normal straight mag... unless you've finally added changable magazine proxies? :rolleyes: (doubt it)

If you want a straight mag fed shotgun there's already the saiga and to a degree the M1014, May as well push the boat out to the ridiculous if you're going to show what's possible

The AA-12 looks awesome, had a grin on my face when I noticed the Huey going down.

The main thing I am looking forward to is BIS missions where you play as a squad member rather than the leader. Soo much more fun and immersive.

because this weapon uses both drum and normal mag type ... and if i'm not mistaken also chained ammo for vehicle use ...

This will only work if they don´t implement the team-death penalties of Arrowhead or (worse) Harvest Red.

Agree with this, in CWC you were the only important character in your squad, and if the whole squad got killed you could still finish the mission and continue the story. (though in Harvest Red, you get control after two missions, and after that IMO it's the best campaign ever)

They say this PMC thing will have a significant story, with probably many important characters in your squad, so they probably can't just let the player go on if the whole squad goes down.

This will only work if they don´t implement the team-death penalties of Arrowhead or (worse) Harvest Red.

The AI being beyond your control shouldn´t be a punishment to the player: if they get shot up, and the AI commands the squad, the player can do nilch to prevent them from dying. This was one of the major reasons why I didn´t play beyond the second mission of harvest red for a long time, because Miles would keep running in front of everybody´s mom and their machine gun.

How CWC did it was unrealistic, but much better a solution, gameplay-fairness wise.

That's a why such missions should be designed where your team doesn't consist of characters essential to the story. It's hard to do that though and still make a compelling story. BI's initial approach was with the FA system used in Harvest Red. Unfortunately that was not really sucessful. It should be less of a problem since they said there will be at most 2 playable characters, but the kind of missions you see in CWC revolve around larger teams/multiple teams.

Ideally, they could use the Resistance method; the status of your team persists throughout the campaign (where reinforcements are available from time to time). IMO that's the best combination of realsim and immersion. This system allows you to continue if things go bad, but also provides incentive to complete the missions without massive casualties. This can probably be effectively combined with CWC's theme of giving the player little/no authority over the events that take place, but would be challenging/impossible to create a story with interesting characters.

It's quite a dilemma. On one hand I really enjoy the banter between Fowley, Kozlowski, and Bormioli (was that really his name?) in CWC, as well as Berghoff, but it's also annoying when they are KIA and you can rest assured knowing they'll just reappear in the next mission. It would be nice if a campaign could be designed such that no matter what happens (obviously except the player dying) you could continue and things would still make sense, but that's just an impossible amount of outcomes to consider, especially while trying to maintain an interesting story.

I know alot of people don't have money to throw away, but complaining about paying for DLC for this game seems insane to me. Some of you guys don't know how good you got it. It's really not that expensive. AND you don't have to buy it. The people who make this game deserve to get paid and paying for just the original game gives them no incentive to create anything new.

Some complain saying this community supplies plenty of stuff for the game so we don't need any more DLC, or feel it should be free.

First, appreciate that it won't end up like BF2 where the community is the ONLY supplier of new content and don't ever upgrade or improve the game at all. Instead paying for this stuff is worth it. We get professional quality stuff. And many engine improvements alone can be worth most of the money. Seriously, the amount we pay for the game compared to the hours on top of hours that we play it is cheap. Find anything else out there where you can spend 40-60 dollars and use it for months and months and months. Especially for you guys that live the game, playing 40 or more hours a week.

Second, the community content shouldn't be an excuse to have free content. You get addons that don't work well or don't work well with each other. Or addons that don't get any support from the maker after their first or second beta release never seeing an alpha.

Sometimes you get someone that makes some good quality stuff, but it's usually only in one direction. Good models, but no campaign or missions, or a mission maker using vanilla units. Outside of ACE and maybe BWMod everything is in pieces. If ACE and BWMod made SP missions, Campaigns with story etc. Then you would have a complete package, Like Project REality was with BF2. And modders don't always have time. Project Unkown released awesome helicopters but hasn't ever been updated. And i like the SU-33 that has the folding wings but no one has ever made a cockpit for it. Then there are others making the same models, so we end up with 6 different Black Hawks instead of other things.

So paying for DLC just to make the game better, with better quality everything, and you don't have to worry about a bunch of addons for missions. Now we can play and make missions with fewer and fewer addons because BIS is making them part of the game.

AND BIS takes our input. They watch these boards and create things we want. BF2 takes your money and then leaves the game moving on never looking back, or making stuff we don't want or need.

Anyway, I am the only Victim here so stop playing the victim. It's worth every penny.:yay:

because this weapon uses both drum and normal mag type ... and if i'm not mistaken also chained ammo for vehicle use ...

I know this. It's just personal preference I guess. It'd be nice to see an AA12 for once without big ugly drum mags.

Of course Dwarden, now that you've said this you'll have to back it up ingame by giving us both. :p

Looks good...but what amazed me most was how smooth the video....wish i could run as smoothly on my HIGH END PC!

Anyway, I am the only Victim here so stop playing the victim. It's worth every penny.:yay:

Word.

BIS stuff has great value. I don´t like the Operation Arrowhead campaign, but the SP missions and the maps are great, and there´s tons of cool stuff to use in missions. For example, the useable UAV has made Manhattan tons more fun.

This DLC, like the first one, will provide very good value for the money... at least, that´s very likely.

Plus, ever since MGS4, I´m a sucker for PMCs. So much stuff you can do, way outside the constraints put on regular militaries. You can go to places you couldn´t with a regular army when using PMCs.

Edited by InstaGoat

May as well push the boat out to the ridiculous if you're going to show what's possible

What, that it's possible to model it with a drum mag and not a straight mag? The only thing that's really worth demonstrating here (from a technology standpoint) is the implication of shot ammunition (which is what I am hoping that means). Everything else would have already been entirely feasible.

And it's nothing against BI, their artists or the much appreciated new content, it's just that an AA12 with drum mag just screams cliché to me. Let me put it this way, I'd have been a little more impressed if they went with 8rnd (I'm not sure of the actual capacity, sources seem to be conflicting) straight mags; it'd show a little more restraint on behalf of the designers not to conform to unnecessary expectactions.

Anyway, think nothing of it.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Oh mah gawd... the trailer for this is sick. Definitely buying (and I didn't get BAF).

I would not get your hopes up now. in the ION thread i mentioned that a picture featured a suburban with a hatch in the roof with no weapon visible (suggesting shooting from vehicles). but upon closer inspection there is actually a minigun mounted....

Arma2-PMC-ingame-sshot-07.jpg

As much fun as a minigun mounted SUV sounds, i would rather be able to shoot from vehicles. There's enough cars with guns on them. ADD THIS FEATURE BIS! (it's already in VBS2 so i know it's viable in-engine).

So, the AA12 thing is a little overboard. what's next, an m4a3 that fire HEIPT rounds? and as i said before, queen's gambit 2.0.

I can't wait for pre-ordering to become available on Sprocket!

looks like another solid DLC, I'll definitely be getting it, what baffles me still is people continue to complain about these things like someone is holding a gun to their head forcing them to buy it...if you don't want it, don't buy it...pretty simple.

That's a why such missions should be designed where your team doesn't consist of characters essential to the story. It's hard to do that though and still make a compelling story. BI's initial approach was with the FA system used in Harvest Red. Unfortunately that was not really sucessful. It should be less of a problem since they said there will be at most 2 playable characters, but the kind of missions you see in CWC revolve around larger teams/multiple teams.

The other way would be to add system simillar to "essential" tag in Bethesta rpg games, where character important to storyline couldn't be permanently killed untill untaged. Since we have pretty nice medic module in ArmA2, "essential" character instead of dying would be disabled and useless like any badly wounded troop, until dragged into safety and treated by medic or other squad member.

Of course such function should be adjustable via difficulty menu, or placed in campaign way it will work only at lower difficulty level.

It may be not realistic, but if there already "immortal" command in ArmA2 (allow damage false), so why not?

ADD THIS FEATURE BIS! (it's already in VBS2 so i know it's viable in-engine).

It's not implemented very well in VBS2 as far as I can tell. AI seems totally unable to use it, and the method probably wouldn't be too viable for example for shooting out of windows or other confined compartments.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't add anything useful IMO.

What? Im FORCED to buy another DLC ... this its an outrage!

*Joke* ... nice, very interested in engine updates :)

The other way would be to add system simillar to "essential" tag in Bethesta rpg games, where character important to storyline couldn't be permanently killed untill untaged. Since we have pretty nice medic module in ArmA2, "essential" character instead of dying would be disabled and useless like any badly wounded troop, until dragged into safety and treated by medic or other squad member.

Of course such function should be adjustable via difficulty menu, or placed in campaign way it will work only at lower difficulty level.

It may be not realistic, but if there already "immortal" command in ArmA2 (allow damage false), so why not?

That doesn't keep in the spirit of CWC though, which was the whole point IMO. Many of CWC's missions put you into a very chaotic environment, with very little intel and if you were lucky, some guy to bark orders at you. Essentially none of the missions ever went according to plan, and many of them ended with you retreating, or the similiar urgency that you were never safe where you were. Of course this was all by design, it helped when often times the majority of your squad or other friendly squads would be wiped out. There always seemed to be at least some cost to succeding.

It's not implemented very well in VBS2 as far as I can tell. AI seems totally unable to use it, and the method probably wouldn't be too viable for example for shooting out of windows or other confined compartments.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't add anything useful IMO.

well, it wouldn't be useful except for the fact that you could better simulate being ambushed and being able to effectively provide fire support from someplace other then the main gun of the humvee. Like if there was no gun, the vehicle wouldn't be completly useless in a firefight/ambush and would be able to hold up it's end of the fire when trying to shoot it's way out of a killzone...uh yeah...

Imagine the lag between the driver and potentially four or more shooters in 'net based MP games.

That would be my definition of cluster-loving.