Sign in to follow this  
Conure

Bit of community advice!

Hi guys,

I've checked out some reviews and it seems okay, but I don't tend to trust them (DCS Black Shark and X3: Terran Conflict both scored poorly but are my favourite games, I think reviewers just dislike complexity!)

Anyway, how is this game? I very much enjoy Bad Company 2 however I'm not a great fan of MW2 as it is too arcadey. An absolute must for me these days is excellent multiplayer - Does Arma 2 have a large multiplayer community? Any feedback is welcome!

Thank you :)

There are over 100 servers atm, probly over 200, but i havent counted.

Yes, the mulitplayer is good imo, you should download the demo first just to be safe, this game is not for everyone, so give the demo a download and see for yourself. :)

(the demo has multiplayer as well)

It's horrible.

:D haha

Welcome to the forums.

I'm joking. If you find MW2 too arcadish you're in the right place. ArmA2 is great, esp with addons and if you have a problem you can ask here and get a solution within 24 hours.

Next question is what kind of environment you like

1. You buy ArmA2, you get a russian woodland & farmland environment

2. You buy ArmA2:Operation Arrowhead, you get Afghanistan-like env. It runs on its own. If you want both, you need to buy both. An installed ArmA2 + ArmA2:OA is what we call ArmA2:Combined Operations. Some community addons (free) require this btw.

3. If you want the full experience you go to www.sprocketidea.com and get the British Armed Forces DLC (about 9 Eur). You get British units/vehicles/weapons and a new desert environment.

MP wise you should choose a ArmA2 clan which hosts a server in a place near you (good pings = smoother gameplay), join their server and stick to them. Clan servers mostly have passwords, so just ask on their forums and make some friends.

Public servers tend to have more chaotic players, no teamplay guaranteed.

Watch some ArmA2 Movies made by fans on web. You'll find it's really marvelous, and then, you can decide whether you should choose ArmA2 or not.

I can agree with all of the above, brilliant game that puts your graphic performance to the test so i hope your system can take a beating. I see that there allot of people out there that like more complex and more 'real world' like games. But sinds you can see Arma2 as an open engine and its virtually possible to get everything done you can think of in Beyond-HD quality depending on your system.

I started playing this by myself (with my old clantag) last year June And build up a large community of people with the same interests that i am very proud of! Join us for a game and well gladly show you the ropes (hope that the demo can play EVO or warfare), hope to see you around!! :bounce3:

If you want to read more reviews, I recommend the RPS entries on the subject.

They actually played (or tried to) in the "right" way both SP and MP and enjoyed the experience, even with the glitches and bugs. And thats generally happens when someone REALLY try to play ArmA:

ARMA 2 Review (keep in mind that was an early version)

ARMA 2 Coop Experience, with community missions (same as above)

A2: Op. Arrowhead Coop Experience

Welcome to the forums.

Make sure you have a powerful computer to play - your video card matters a lot less than one would think. Massive battles with lots of AI require a strong CPU and lots of memory.

And before you get into multiplayer, play around a bit in single player to get a feel of the game - the number of key assignments can be shocking at first; it takes a while to get used to (and efficient with) the controls. Once you do, A2 is an awesome game with some quirks (that are mostly minor but sometimes can be very annoying.) It's not a game for everyone but if it's your cup of tea, you'll love it.

I think if Black Shark is your favorite game then you can easily handle the complexity of this one ;)

Also good call on the reviews, as they were probably written around the initial release; and the patches and addons have drastically changed the game since 1.02

Take note too that the demo is not patched and BI have done a phenomenal job of debugging to improve performance so don't judge how the game plays on your computer by the demo.

Use the demo to get an idea on game play though.

ARMA plays completely different compared to e.g. BC2 ...

the closest game You can find yet played again different is e.g. Red Orchesta: OstFront41-45 (cause it's more dynamic and action pumped on smaller maps)

or some other team tactictal games with slower pace

I dont like BF2 or MW2, but I did like COD4.

Anyway, the current three games I think people should just buy/try is:

1. Planetside.

2. Arma 2 Combined Ops.

3. Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45 with the mod Darkest Hour.

Does Arma 2 have a large multiplayer community? Any feedback is welcome!

Thank you :)

yes and no

there are lots of servers out there , but if you want a decent game you need to find a nice community or clan to play with..

if you join a public server you might aswell play single player missions(theres more teamwork) where the AI have been scripted to bitch/whine and teamkill you ...