Sign in to follow this  
milkyway12

Windows 7 problem

Game ran fine on vista. I just put a fresh copy of windows 7 in , full reformat.

Now i go to start the game. It wont start , says launching game , then it shows my mouse with the circle around it then , i see it in process than it goes away and nothing comes up.....

Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 ..... Running the game with Steam.

Edited by milkyway12

Check the .rpt file to see if any clues.

Windows events

Drivers up to date?

Hope that shows something of use.

Beyond that many better experienced people on here than me may be able to help

Game ran fine on vista. I just put a fresh copy of windows 7 in , full reformat.

Now i go to start the game. It wont start , says launching game , then it shows my mouse with the circle around it then , i see it in process. But nothing comes up.....

Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 ..... Running the game with Steam.

run as Admin?, chk your firewall?

Still nothing , steam says all files are working fine.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Firewall is green across the board.

Trying to run as admin , still nothing.

Guess ill just try and reinstall , dont see how it will do anything considering all the files were normal

Edited by milkyway12

Did you do a verify of integrity of cache?

theres also a steam thread here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73554

for issues, it could be window 7 but running the game on steam could have its own

issues with preventing the game from running.

Found this post:

System: Windows 7 64bit

Arma2: Steam ArmaOA:Steam

I've found on windows 7, even when running everything as Administrator; there can be problems

with running various commands outside of their directories (e.g. running 'reg' outside of the system32/syswow64 folder).

Anyway, a solution to get the combined ops working if all the other solutions seem to have failed is to run

the _runA2CO.cmd file from within the system32/syswow64 folder itself (copy/paste it into the folder to run it there).

I know this isn't an ideal solution, but I'm hoping what I've found will allow a more computer-savvy user to work

out what permissions need changed etc to allow the commands to run from within steams armaOA folder.

Since posting this I have worked out the problem that prevents some users from using the required commands.

If you type "path" into the command prompt (run -> cmd) and it does not list "C:\WINDOWS\system32" below,

then you won't be able to run the Combined Operations file until fixing it:

Right Click on My Computer

Goto the Advanced Tab (Advanced System Settings link on windows 7)

Go down to Environmental Variables

Where it says "User Variables" - Click New

Name: PATH

Value: C:\WINDOWS\system32

Then also add

NAME: PATH

Value: C:\WINDOWS\sysWoW64

You should then be able to run the _runA2OC.cmd from the arma2OA folder if you run it as administrator.

If you've set up your administrator permissions properly, you should now also be able to run it straight from Steam.

If you still can't run it from steam, but can run it directly by running the _runA2OC.cmd file - then it may

be best to make a shortcut to that on your desktop for now until a proper fix comes along.

I hope this works for you, if you need me to clarify anything or have a better way to fix this,

please contact me on steam - wmckendr.

Thanks.

Would any of this help you?

Ill try it out in a moment. Game is at 98%. I did the path test and windows c was listed under there. If it doesnt work i will still try his solution , thanks for finding it for me.

I just reinstalled the entire game , still a no go.

I am trying to accomplish what he said to do , but i ran a compat check on the cmd file and this is what i got after a fresh install http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/128/yupyup.png

I just tried what he did still a no go. I dont understand brand new operating system fresh install of the game twice , still a no launch.

Edited by milkyway12

There is no target line. I just looked under them like i did vista and no target line.

Any one else willing to take a shot? I would really like to play the game

Couple things to try:

-Try running it without Steam. AFAIK, you can't do that with the regular version, so install the beta (it adds it's own executable and doesn't overwrite any other game files) and try running that.

-Disable any anti-virus/-malware software.

-Have you updated your drivers recently? (If so, try rolling back to an older version; if not, try new ones)

-Did you let DirectX, etc install along with the game? Try downloading the latest DX from MS. On a related note, do other games still work fine?

-Are you trying to run combined operations with only ArmA2 or OA installed? (Sorry, have to ask)

-When you reinstalled the game, did you use the appropriate nuclear option or just the standard uninstall? By that I mean cleaned the registry, all leftover files, etc.

-Addition to what someone else mentioned: try running Steam as admin, then the main game executable from Windows Explorer as admin, then finally the beta as (you guessed it) admin.

Hope something in there helps. I have the Steam version with Win7 64bit running fine, so that shouldn't be the root of the problem.. Good luck getting it working.