Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

Fallujah City

I can report that Falluja works wonderfully with DAC3, been getting some outstanding gameplay with it.

Great news!

@DMarkwick: could u upload the experiment (mission.sqm)? i'm really intrested in checking it out.

I'd be happy to upload it, but it needs a little pruning as I use it to test other stuff also :) It's not exactly a mission as such, just a scenario. But, there is a "goal" just to make the thing have a direction, but the main thing is the DAC3 activity I suppose. I get varying levels of action due to the way I've set it up, varying from very little action to being overwhelmed :)

I like a lot of randomisation in my scenarios ;)

Well... glad to see the translation confusion resolved... Personally, I'm constantly amazed by how well community members who aren't native english speakers actually cope with the complex techie and/or colloquial conversations that go on here - I don't do a tenth as well on Italian websites!

Anyhow - yes - actually embedding models/addons within the island file itself is of course, a Very Bad Idea, from filesize, ease-of-updating, and several other points of view...

A seperate, associated and required "fallujah_objects.pbo" is of course, a Good Idea for precisely the same reasons...

Basta on that topic...

Ambient Civ capability.... this is an absolute breeze to implement for this particular map since you have all those currently editable A1 models in your pack... theres a few island config entries to do - just some typing, plus each house you want civilians to "live in" needs "invisible doors" added... dead easy - even I can manage it...

Care might need to be taken generating Civs over such a big city of course - but thats a mission design decision - making the capability available is easy enough... Shez - I'll PM you the same explanation and demo model I sent Martin recently on this topic... it might take you an evening to add doors to your buiildings and a couple of zones to your map, but thats all thats involved...

And finally... I managed a wee drive aboot!

This is a HUGE city! - I'm pretty sure there hasn't been anything done on this scale before! I deliberately didn't look at the map and did manage to get thoroughly lost quite quickly! brilliant!!!

I think the A1 buildings fit reasonably well tbh - they don't look entirely out of place, and above all - performance is amazingly good for such a huge field of objects! OK - so detail on the ground is a little thin right now - I'm not surprised - detail usually requires individual placement by-hand, it takes time and theres a lot of acreage to cover... that's allright - Shezan is good at detail - it'll happen in time... Trickiest part will be maintaining that excellent playablilty when the detail starts to pile on... maintaining that balance is one of the hardest parts of good island design - sufficient detail to make the experience a believable one for the player, without slowing things to an unplayable crawl...

Looking forward to watching this enormously ambitious project develop - cityscapes are quite different from landscapes from a design perspective - there are tried and trusted methods now for getting basic landscapes in-game and performing reasonably well, but cityscapes are relatively new - so this project is very much out there testing new terrain-design ground... this many buildings, this close together, on a map this big!? - yet its running, and running well! - An impressive achievement so far... and more enhancements to come!

Well done Shezan!!!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I'd be happy to upload it, but it needs a little pruning as I use it to test other stuff also...

Such as.....????? ;) :D

@ shezan74 mate nice work on the map up in the air it looks great and the FPS are very good too. Can't wait to see some mosques ect that you mentioned will be in next release.

Would be nice to see a few buildings from avagni in there someday :p . Overall great map...glad to see another community map maker pushing the limits of the A2 engine...will be keeping an eye on this one :)

Ambient Civ capability.... this is an absolute breeze to implement for this particular map since you have all those currently editable A1 models in your pack... theres a few island config entries to do - just some typing, plus each house you want civilians to "live in" needs "invisible doors" added... dead easy - even I can manage it...

I didn't know about the invisible doors...that will push away the deadline of this feature in the release...I was hoping it was only a matter of some config...

I will see want i can do..

By the way, thanks again for the kind words!

My new favourite map, this makes urban combat sooo much more interesting!

Finally one big City desert map WITH DETAILS and not just copy the same building 1000 times.

BIG THANK YOU this map rock!

Hey folks,

Just ported crCTI KB Kastenbier Edition on Fallujah City.

Didn't bother to make random respawn points, so 2 fixed respawn points, north & south, and 10 flags to capture. There's quick action.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nc8dl18qulfeeiz/crcti_kb_16_r65.fallujah.pbo

Get the originals for other maps

http://www.vsbw.de/~arma

Run on dedicated server.

*Top alpha slot is commanderslot. Best to choose a slot below, and let AI commander build the base.

*Able to buy units away from base

*Able when you have a squad to use unit-switch.

*Able to select the number of flags in mission parameters

edit

updated to version r76.

this version now with full random respawn points around but close to city, and with 50 flags to capture placed in the city.

Sometimes, to start a mission, you have to start it twice

Addon JTD_FireAndSmoke works great to get sense of the battle, but has to run on the server and client.

edit2

small update respawnpoints & fixed location in r76

http://www.mediafire.com/file/znw0hr1i2tz92d2/crcti_kb_16_r76.fallujah.pbo

Regards,

BirdsEye

Thanks to Kastenbier for his continues effort to improve crCTI and to shezan74 for this great map!

Edited by Birdseye

Very very nice map!

Guys have you heard any mission (Domination/PvP or else..)

came out for this map??^^

i dont know if its said before (dont have time to read everything right now)

the airfield is screwed no planes will normaly take off from that place

and it needs better taxi ways (to the end of the runway)

i know its beta but i thought "hey i better let them know or it will never be fixed" :D

great map i realy like the city feeling on this one (bagdhad map was favorite before but this one has me realy think i am in a big city)

the airfield is screwed no planes will normaly take off from that place

and it needs better taxi ways (to the end of the runway)

Yes, a better airport is actually under construction. We're aware of the ILS problem too. I think i've done all right but there is something that is not working well. It's under investigation too :)

i know its beta but i thought "hey i better let them know or it will never be fixed" :D

eheheh :) we've a bug-track on Dev-Heaven (http://www.dev-heaven.net/projects/fallujah ) for the bug report. Those problems are already there :)

Feel free to add new bugs and suggestions!

Best

Caught some military documentary on TV in the week and immediately thought "I must check that location out on shezan's Fallujah map".

Awesome piece of work m8.

Thanks for taking the time to make this map. The size of the city is just impressive and outstanding. For a beta I must say that you are doing really well and have a really nice map going. I always appreciate someone like you taking the time to make something like this for my enjoyment. As others throw ideas around, I think sometimes it is wise just to appreciate the amount of work that must have gone into this. Great work bud.

Hey-

Any chance of a downloadable map, like a real map? :) Something that is kinda marked up with where certain things are?

And, if you take requests, how about something like a communication building or radio station. And a military outpost, if possible, like a headquarters unrelated to the airfield and such.

Outstanding map, really. I'm really excited about it. :)

Hey-

Any chance of a downloadable map, like a real map? :) Something that is kinda marked up with where certain things are?

And, if you take requests, how about something like a communication building or radio station. And a military outpost, if possible, like a headquarters unrelated to the airfield and such.

Outstanding map, really. I'm really excited about it. :)

yeah i agree, but make sure that the "Said" outpost\hq\radio stations and what not are there in rl..no fun recreating real missions in a fake place. because iv found and know of tons of missions that i can create that has to do with fallujah, so aslong as there is actual military instalations in their currect place in respect to the actual fallujah city! so again please move the airport to its currect location please!!!!!!

Dave,

When making a map for a game you must necessarily made some compromises. Compromises are for ensuring maximum playability, a decent landscape, a nice variation of ambient and a challenging area for a wide set of missions.

We have reproduced, with ArmA2 resources, a good representation of what fallujah is. The industrial area (under expansion right now) is placed where the city has his own industrial complex. Also bridges are reproduced in the exact place, as like as the 2 dams for irrigation in the southern area. Main roads are there, as like vegetation is following the real vegetation areas.

The airport is several km west of the city of Fallujah. Placing it in the right size requires a 40x40 km map on A2 scale, that is really big for our actual resources.

Making a 60x60 km map is pretty easy. The problem is the quality and detail of the final work. Maybe good for flying but not for infantry.

Here some links from real fallujah images (sorry, too big images to be embedded without a moderator kick :) )

http://op-for.com/images/Fallujah-pointsofinterest.jpg

We actually have reproduced (or work in progress):

North and south bridge (completed)

Fallujah hospital (work in progress, available on beta)

Industrial district (work in progress, available on beta)

Government center (work in progress, available on beta)

Railroad station (not started yet)

Jolan Park (completed)

On this image:

http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,121966,00.jpg

We already have the US Marine Base north west of the city and we're working on other FOB's. Some road blocks could be placed, but i've decided to let them to the mission creator's fantasy. So roads are clear and everywhere available for vehicles in the original map.

thats cool to know but still it would be best to have the airport in its exact location..if not, IMHO i would remove it altogather if it cant be placed in the exact location it appares in real life! which wouldnt make a difference because first off, if your not gonna make the map large enough for a proper air war(which 20x20 is smaller then takistan and that is still too small IMHO)! then there shouldnt be no need for a airport, second i just want an acurate..actual iraq city map! meaning i want(as i always and mainly do) beable to take rl operations\missions\situations and add them to arma...but with out having to compermise shit!

now obviously the only actual limit to this is making every building the smae as its rl counterpart(which is impossible unless u want to make over a million new houses..which even if you did no computer in the world would beable to use it lol) and thats ok....but having an airport where there is none...on a map that is of a real place sucks, i would just recomend removing the airport or better yet expanding the map..which i dont see how that will afect anything(and i know, i know im not an map maker..but i have made a map before and know most of the limitations) so why not expand the map and just have the airport in its real location..you dont have to put a tree or bush in every place outside the main boarders of the map..maby just around the area the airport is suppost to be!

plus if you do that there is no point in putting bushes and grass in places that you wont see it anyways(cause most likly ppl will only go strait from the airport to the city) so you only need to add grass to the areas that will be traveled!

anyways i know, i know i seem like im trying to down your project or trying to tell you how to do your project...fact is since your way talanted then ill ever be...i cant do this myself(so please no post from ppl bitching like "well..if you dont like it do it your self" cause obviously if i could i would lol) so again in no way(even if it seems like it) im not trying to dictate your project..im just giving my opinion which regardless of what ppl thing...that is the way to get the best out of anything.....so on that note good luck buddy and i hope im not annoying you or anyone else..i know im being picky but its jsut im excited to have a map thats not only a real place but for once in arma history is acurate to the max it can be made acurate!

if you need any help with anything let me know and ill help if its something i can do..like i said above i can use most tools that is required to make maps however im no where as good as you with them said tools, but im more then willing to put my money where my mouth is(menaing i wont sit here and bitch, with out actually helping you to get it done) so hit me up if i can be of assistance!

Dave,

I'm pretty sure you're not trying to down the project :) I was moved by your same ideas at the beginning of this project. And i'm still keeping the realism-reality idea on top.

Airport has been placed outside the city, in a semi desertic flat area.

The main purpose of this map is urban context, so the airport could be "ignored" since it's away from the main city and doesn't change in any form your approach to the area. There are a lot of gras/bush/desert/rock areas all around the city from where you can start your missions, and airport is very small if compared with the main city.

Sorry Dave, Maybe in a future we will release a version without the airport. For now, our efforts are devoted to make the inner city itself a better place to play.

Its not to hard to pretend that the airfield is TQ if you really wanted to. It is not that far from Fallujah anyhow.

Got my mission on this map to .9 tonight :D

This map is awesome only problem is the airport is too close to the city, everything else is superb.

Only things i would like is destructable buildings but using the OPX models it isnt feasible. And Ambient Civs

Also for the requests above seriuosly play this map more almost everything requested is there just due to teh size hard to come upon.

I'm pretty sure you're not trying to down the project :) I was moved by your same ideas at the beginning of this project. And i'm still keeping the realism-reality idea on top.

Airport has been placed outside the city, in a semi desertic flat area.

The main purpose of this map is urban context, so the airport could be "ignored" since it's away from the main city and doesn't change in any form your approach to the area. There are a lot of gras/bush/desert/rock areas all around the city from where you can start your missions, and airport is very small if compared with the main city.

Sorry Dave, Maybe in a future we will release a version without the airport. For now, our efforts are devoted to make the inner city itself a better place to play.

hey buddy thanks, glad the airport was moved, and no worrys with removing it completly, i like it on the map, just not in the city as its not thier in rl but now you atleast got it near\around the area it is in real life so im more then happy, and again bro glad you dont think i was diss'in this project...its totally oposite im actual too...too...too happy for this project that sometimes i get too carryed away with myself and fell like a lil kid at christmas, and cant control my happyness hahaha!

and of course im still here if ya need help!

Dave,