Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 73968

I'll say it definetly is a welcomed addition, but the current implementation (like others have said) is going to cause problems.

Not sure what you'll change it to, but it does need to be changed.

That's exactly why I can't understand such changes. Makes me wonder who suggests such changes (I'm programming for allmost 25 years now).

The only thing you read is:

"but stop trashing something because you find it not useful for You ..."

So for who is it usefull ?

Same for the getVariable default value thingie. I've checked one of my current A2/OA projects, out of some hundreds getVariables blablas there were only about 10 who needed a default value.

But that's only from the guy who made the most played MP missions for A1, A2 and OA.

And it's not what counts.

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

But that's only from the guy who made the most played MP missions for A1, A2 and OA.

JPEG medal image gone to your head much? GetVariable default very welcome here thanks (I look forward to replacing my own wrapper with a native version of same) and I'm certain I will use _x_index frequently.

Wow. That's going a bit too far bro.

There are a lot of scripters here, and some of them (including myself) will certainly find these new features quite welcome. If it's really going to be an issue then it can be changed like Dwarden said...

Posts like that will only draw more of the criticism of Domination that made you stop developing it, Xeno. Think a bit more before you post next time. ;)

Like Defunkt and Big Dawg KS here, I think many will find this addition quite useful, but I too think the implementation should change so as not to cause conflicts.

Something like _forEachIndex just strikes me as quite long.

To those that have used .NET that's nothin' :)

I do think _xi is an excellent suggestion!

Thank you for the update BIS. I don't know what you did, but this patch fixed all my texture LOD issues. Good job!

I do think _xi is an excellent suggestion!

Me too. It won't break as much code as _index but is still short and straightforward.

Search complete, found '_xi' 0 time(s). (0 file(s)).

I'm happy with that :)

Search complete, found '_index' 240 time(s). (72 file(s)).

Not too happy about that. Need to figure out what is in forEach loops.

Very nice beta! :thumbsup:

Especially glad to see the fog fix.

Now that many of the nasty bugs are squashed, please take a look at some of the highest voted feature tickets, that would really help gameplay.

Bullet-in-chamber accounting

Realistic reload animation

Increase the atmoshpere of foul weather

Laser beam end to glow where it hits the ground

Iv'e been having some random CTD's with these latest betas when playing arma 2 singleplayer missions and campaign.

I don't know what you did, but this patch fixed all my texture LOD issues.

Can you share what HW/OS/drivers you are using?

After some more tests with 73968 I noticed it's the opposite for me - this build gives me worse (slower) texture loading and LOD issues.

My spec below and I fully understand I'm on the lower scale of the PC spectrum with my dual core etc ;)

Windows XP Pro

Intel C2D E6850 @ 3.41 GHz

2 GB RAM @ 1066 MHz

1 x Seagate ST3250620AS SATA-II 250 GB HDD as C:

1 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ SATA-II 1 TB HDD as D:

GeForce GTX 260 896 MB with drivers 191.07 WHQL

Command line: "D:\Games\ArmA II\Expansion\Beta\arma2oa.exe" -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -profiles=d:\games\ARMAII~1\ -bepath=client1 -name=KeyCat

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Can you share what HW/OS/drivers you are using?

After some more tests with 73968 I noticed it's the opposite for me - this build gives me worse (slower) texture loading and LOD issues.

My spec below and I fully understand I'm on the lower scale of the PC spectrum with my dual core etc ;)

Windows XP Pro

Intel C2D E6850 @ 3.41 GHz

2 GB RAM @ 1066 MHz

1 x Seagate ST3250620AS SATA-II 250 GB HDD as C:

1 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ SATA-II 1 TB HDD as D:

GeForce GTX 260 896 MB with drivers 191.07 WHQL

Command line: "D:\Games\ArmA II\Expansion\Beta\arma2oa.exe" -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -profiles=d:\games\ARMAII~1\ -bepath=client1 -name=KeyCat

/KC

My system specs:

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Intel i7 @ 2.8 GHz

8 GB RAM @ 1600 MHz

Ati Radeon 4870X2, Catalyst 10.9a drivers with the latest application profile

I have to do a bit more testing though, because the problem occured again after I changed a few settings in Catalyst Control Panel and Arma launcher. :)

Can anyone please confirm, whether -winxp parameter is still valid in multigpu + Vista/Win7 setup? And/or do I have to rename Arma2oa.exe to Arma2.exe to get crossfire working?

V-sync still locking my framerates, not disabled

Edit, scratch that, working now, tks

Edited by Dwarden

Very nice beta! :thumbsup:

Especially glad to see the fog fix.

Now that many of the nasty bugs are squashed, please take a look at some of the highest voted feature tickets, that would really help gameplay.

Bullet-in-chamber accounting

Realistic reload animation

Increase the atmoshpere of foul weather

Laser beam end to glow where it hits the ground

Yeah, I agree but be before moving on to new gameplay-related features, it would be really really really really nice to look into some of the current gameplay related bugs for the next patches as well. There are some really nasty bugs in the system right now, which have an immensely negative impact on PvP online games, like Warfare sessions.

TAB Lock on Infantry in OA

Lock obscured targets at extreme distances

SACLOS missile range too short

Certain missiles lack manual guidance

Some cars can drive faster off-road than on roads

M2A2 and M2A3 armor values inverted

Bullets lose too much damage over distance

Aircraft countermeasures too effective

Please look into (some of) those gameplay issues as well soon!

Did some more testing regarding the Z-fighting/flickering and it somehow seems to be related to your elevation as well.

If you are on a roof it doesn't matter if you are prone/crouching/standing the Z-fighting/flickering is still there but if you are on ground level the Z-fighting/flickering is almost completely gone (as long as you crouch/stand).

Can someone else try these two simple missions and see if they experience the same?

Stand up and zoom in max in scope on the house ~500 m ahead of you (approx ~120 degrees) and notice close to perfect building and bushes (i.e no Z-fighting/flickering). Now go prone on road and look again and you will see the Z-fighting/flickering back (as reported before).

Load the next mission (or go upstairs in the house to your left) and look at the same house/objects from the roof. No matter what stance I have the Z-fighting/flickering is back when elevated on the roof.

http://keycat.no-ip.com/files/A2OA_B73968_ZF.zip

Please share your result and maybe try other elevations as well - lets help BIS nail this one for good!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

KeyCat, the behaviour you mentioned seems to be covered by issue #14276. Standing too close to objects (for example on top of a building) also causes z-fighting to reappear.

KeyCat, the behaviour you mentioned seems to be covered by issue #14276. Standing too close to objects (for example on top of a building) also causes z-fighting to reappear.

Thanks MadDogX, I think you are correct and it's probably not the elevation itself. Maybe that could explain why it re-appears in prone position (i.e to close to grass/ground/etc)?

/KC

Hmm...waiting for the big AI patch including forcing AI to obey commands directly. For example: if you have to cross roads quickly or simply run to another position with AI as teamates you are still pretty f*kd up.

Why is it not possible to override current commands with strict-direct overlay eg switching from "default" into "follow my order/lead" and vice versa? Commands will stay the same - only the AI should follow them quickly and without doubts.

Fix the old "AI cant use handguns" bug. AI should only use pistols if enemy is in very close range ~50m or in small buildings.

Fix the "AI shoots with AT on single soldier" bug. Or improve different ammo types for AI usage against group of soldiers (group = min 3 units).

Fix the "AI fire with AA on vehicles while own AT units and enemy aircrafts are in range."

Fix the pilot AI - they still crash into hills and buildings. Maybe let the default AI fly higher or slower so they are able to manoeuvre without crashing their helicopters and planes?

Fix the "AI gets distracted by aircraft" bug. Possible solution - if AI dont have AA weapons they should have their eyes and weapons pointed on ground targets. There is no need to aim/target at flying helicopters/planes with rifles or machineguns. Maybe make an exception if aircrafts are on ground/starting/landing or hovering.

Cross fingers that BIS devs will have enough time to play with/against AI and to fix/improve the AI.

Hmm...waiting for the big AI patch including

Fix the old "AI cant use handguns" bug. AI should only use pistols if enemy is in very close range ~50m or in small buildings.

Fix the "AI shoots with AT on single soldier" bug. Or improve different ammo types for AI usage against group of soldiers (group = min 3 units).

Fix the "AI fire with AA on vehicles while own AT units and enemy aircrafts are in range."

Thats right.Would be nice to see this fixed.

@NoRailgunner

GL4 provides a Force move command which overrides any other actions made by AI's.

[73921] Fix: Flooding of RPT file by "Cannot find Object" and similar messages after client disconnection.

My server .rpt is still flooded (without anyone disconnected) with messages like:

21:37:46 Client: Object 3:710 (type Type_70) not found.

21:41:00 Server: Object 3:753 not found (message 124)

Is it a mission error? I have no clue...

I'm happy with that :)

Precisely my point, and precisely why I was 'avoiding' plain ol' _i.

Sooo, are IR strobes still broken/rebroken?

IIRC, 1.54 fixed em, but now when I or the AI via "Fire" use them, it gets thrown, it never blinks/flashes (with or without NVG), and 10 seconds after leaving the hand it vanishes from the ground. :(

Can't say it was this beta, could have been any since 1.54, been a while since I used a strobe. If it's relevant, using Arma2 + OA + BAF.

Edited by Baron von Beer

I think that one of the beta patches has somehow altered the way that the weaponDirection command works for moving vehicles. I have made a script that makes an Mi-17's MG rounds assume the direction where the gun points, effectively eliminating the aiming difficulty caused by the rounds inheriting some of the helicopter's movement vector. In the beta version the script has stopped working properly, with the setVelocity command still working but the vector is considerably different, resulting in almost the same behavior as without the script.

This is the script triggered by a "Fired" EH on the chopper:

_unit=_this select 0;
_weapon=_this select 1;
_bullet=nearestObject [_unit,_this select 4];

_dir=_unit weaponDirection _weapon;
_speed=speed _bullet/3.6;

_vel=[(_dir select 0)*_speed,(_dir select 1)*_speed,(_dir select 2)*_speed];
_bullet setVelocity _vel;

In non-beta the rounds land at the center of the aiming reticle even when moving. In beta the movement vector of the vehicle becomes a factor, making the weaponDirection command inaccurate and useless. If this isn't fixed, I have no idea how else to produce the intended effect of the script.

Edited by Celery