Sign in to follow this  
sgt_savage

The Unsung MOD (Vietnam War) Arma 2 Release

)rStrangelove;1885317']Guys' date=' any news concerning improving AI spotting / targetting in jungle fights? I think my last post got buried inbetween the screenshot offensive. ;)[/quote']

Yes, this has been improved since Round 1... We are using objects with View LODs to block line of sight now... Works better... But the problem is the object count is greatly increased. Unfortunately, this is the negative by-product of blocking LoS... and we are bouncing off the limitations of Vis3 and BINPBO. There was a post I made a little while ago that touches on this...

Vis 3 stops at ~5.3m objects... BINPBO cannot properly BIN the island unless you are down to about ~4.78m objects... and then its 50-50 if it works... Most of the time it 'times out' and you island CTDs... so you have to try, try and try again until it works.

So with 4.8m objects on an island, this should block LoS better depending on the island's topography and where you encounter the enemy.

I did some research and found that the AN/PRC-77 was used back in Vietnam. That particular radio is implemented in ACRE (which is something I'd like to use alongside of your mod). My question is, are there radio models made on the RTO's for the vietnam era soldiers for the 77, which the guys back then called "the beast?" Or are they different versions used on the soldiers?

That duck hunter texture in my signature was made by Yac years ago, hopefully we will revisit that camo scheme in the following releases, I quite liked it too :)

thats a shame but atleast you knew what i was talking about :P

pickle has been editing our nam series evolution ready for the new release of unsung mod:

check out the sound and support fx

Airstrike

Rh_RaG0USCY

Mortars

ohXHSEUZ8Zo

and some possible intro's

Intro 1

DOHX1DcYVus

Intro 2

PoeRWxSxMpc

(don't worry that these are on lingor lol)

more soon

Edited by eggbeast

I don't know if this has been asked before but do you guys plan on adding some sniper rifles like the ones purchased for the Marines in Vietnam? Commercial Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 with early Unertl 8x scopes come to mind. Check this page out: Vietnam era USMC sniper rifle

Just wanted to ask because it would be great to try and recreate Carlos Hathcock's sniper missions or any of the other great snipers from that time.

Edited by GD Mast

I don't know if this has been asked before but do you guys plan on adding some sniper rifles like the ones purchased for the Marines in Vietnam? Commercial Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 with early Unertl 8x scopes come to mind. Check this page out: Vietnam era USMC sniper rifle

Just wanted to ask because it would be great to try and recreate Carlos Hathcock's sniper missions or any of the other great snipers from that time.

(X)M-21 and Model 70 are coming...

We need a mounted cal.50 with a scope, now that would rock. ;)

@eggbeast: great, cant wait to test

... Intro 1: ...

I though both intros where good.

If I could add my own twist I would lower the camera into the jungle. Like in stead of going from the sky to the ground you go at shoulder height in the jungle towards the player. With this sound and finish off with one of the two music bits in youre two intro eg. A little jungle creep before the tour :).

Hey all, all these 1 to 4 intros are from a while back so what ever i use i need to re-create it anyway so there might vary slightly.

i have 2 more

Intro 3

HCNkv9IG9g4

Intro 4

cj6FSy80A5M

My main focus is on adding audio to the support menu functions to add more atmosphere.

By way of help if anyone knows of or has any radio audio files, relating to requests for support or resupply it would be very helpful and may be used in Evolution.

Thanks

maybe add Creedence Clearwater Revival Fortunate Son? that's a nice song for Vietnam :)

I've been compiling the mod for the past few days with the help of SAV and PGI, it will be released in 5 sections, It's basically a total revamp with tones of new content and islands as SAV has mentioned.

I'm uploading the release to our ftp for distribution to the other sites. This is a big release and we will need the help of the usual sites and more to prevent bandwidth issues, also we will look at what is required to release to www.moddb.com. There are a bunch of missions ready to go, and will be released shortly. We enjoy seeing other peoples missions and look forward to seeing what you do with this release. Thanks for your patience. It always seems that we set small goals which soon explode into huge addons.

Even with this release we already have more content on the way. the core is done and redone so more islands, units, missions etc will follow.

Edited by cj525

do i have to cancel family weekend (weekend out for the entire family) for this ? (please say yes :P )

do i have to cancel family weekend (weekend out for the entire family) for this ? (please say yes :P )

I would cancel...

To everyone...

Please keep in mind we are working our tails off to get this thing uploaded in a couple of different locations, so when it hits, people have options...

As opposed to a single site that everyone raids... Our hope/intent is to "try" and make the initial distribution "smooth" so that everyone can grab a copy...

But... this is like a 1.2-1.5GB file coming...

It will probably come in 2 different flavors... Flavor A) is a single download... but since we recognize the chance of someone's download timing out, we are creating Flavor B.

Flavor B has the MOD broken down into FIVE (5) pieces... This makes it easier to download without timing out... But we ALL need to work together to understand that ALL 5 pieces are required for the MOD.

We are hoping that we can nail this before the files turn public so everyone is informed. If you go for th single download, great, only one file to DL... but if you elect to go after the 5 piece download, please make sure you download all 5.

We are going to go for a couple of websites so that there is no one strain on a single website.

ArmedAssault.Info has graciously accepted to host it for us. Armaholic has graciously agreed to host the file. We are going to put it up on ARMANAM as well hoping that does not get shut down. And we are hoping to get it up on one of the various 3rd party hosting sites (e.g. megaupload).

Please keep in mind that this will be our last LARGE download like this. This bad boy got away from us and our intent is to get this stuff to the community. Not shut down websites due to bandwidth. So please be patient and appreciative of those websites that are hosting it. Their priority is to host for the community, not for a single download. So if they happen to go down, place the blame on us... We created the content and file size.

Again, we are working on it AS I type this... Hope you guys give us a little wiggle room along with the websites helping us to distribute the MOD.

Cheers to All,

Unsung

that's when download accelerators like getright (there are way better ones) kicks in and helps the client.

but keeping mirrors alive sounds pretty decent for me too ;)

btw, i have my finger on the refresh and dowlnoad trigger = can't wait.

The Intro 4 is the best. The idea with huey is good, but in intro 4 Im feeling the "vietnam".

my friday is clear but without the mod and island i can't do too much yet... will revisit lowlands tomorrow and chase up all the scripts and units that I can, so the Evolution Nam mission pack will only require a little more work once the mod has been released.

as an ex Vietcong gamer I can't flippin wait!

Yeah this is going to be a awesome mod from the first release.

Still uploading............YAWN........*taps fingers*