Sign in to follow this  
sgt_savage

The Unsung MOD (Vietnam War) Arma 2 Release

Hard to tell... we have a few islands in the mix... some new troops... a few new helicopters...

Primarily focused on getting Khe Sanh (island) built and all of its support USMC cast. (infantry, AFVs, and aircraft)

Quick question, guys....

I downloaded and installed the mod and the first patch last night. I got all my mod folders set, and went in for a go.

I tried Epicenter first. I watched a cutscene, had the briefing load, and when I hit continue.....nothing but a black screen saying "receiving". My game had frozen.

I rebooted, and tried the other two missons.....straight to the black "receiving" screen, in both instances.

Another reboot, turned off all of my other mods (none that I was running should have interfered, but just to be safe). With nothing running but CBA and Unsung, again the same black "receiving" screen.

Now, at this point, I should probably mention that I was running through a Combined Ops start-up, so...

Just for ha-ha's, I went and added Unsung to my (old, original, long time untouched) ArmA2 modline (along with all my other mods), and started up through ArmA2.

And wouldn't you know it, the mod worked!!!

So my question (which would appear to be answered) is:

Is this an ArmA 2 ONLY mod, that will not work with Combined Ops?

And if so, why does it say "for ArmA2/OA" everywhere and all over in the readme, and on the sites where it's available for download?

Will it only work ArmA2 stand-alone, or OA stand-alone, but not Combined Ops?

And if so, how does that even make sense?

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, or if my question is stupid.

It may be my own mistake, or just not specifically enough implied, but...I'd really like clarification.

I just pissed away two hours trying to figure out why this wouldn't work, just to finally get it working too late to do any actual playing. Talk about frustrating.

I'll let you know how my first day in the 'Nam went....tomorrow, I guess.

Hey Ben Endless, the mod works fine for me and I have Combined Ops.

Hi Ben Endless,

I was running ArmA2... then OA... now I am on CO... all worked fine... I wonder what is going on with your setup... Lot's of the crew are running OA or CO and doing fine. A lot of people I've spoken with are running AO/CO and it actually runs better than A2 for them...

Well, now I'm really confused.

I have Arma2, patched to 1.08.74450.

And Operation Arrowhead (Combined Ops), patched to 1.55.75445.

And BAF, which I've run the latest hotfix patch for.

I have several other mods, so I'm about 99% sure my mod folder set-up is correct.

The other mods I usually run are CBA (and CBA_A2 for ArmA2 only), WarFXParticles/Tracers, a Digital Compass mod, a Full-screen Night Vision mod, and HiFi sound mod.

So here's what's weird:

Unsung mod will run through my ArmA2 start-up...with or without all my other mods enabled (I tested both ways).

When running through a Combined Ops start-up, my Combined Ops STOPS RESPONDING (needs to be shut down using the Task manager) everytime I start up an Unsung Mod mission, basically right when it becomes "playable".

Epicenter plays the cutscene, loads the briefing, then hangs when I hit continue.

Lowlands loads, then hangs right off the loading screen. I don't get the cut-scene.

Poison Ivy loads, then hangs right off the loading screen.

In all three instances, I get a black screen that says "receiving".

I go to task manager, which reports that Arma2/OA has "stopped responding".

This happens everytime I go through a Combined Ops startup.

I've tried Combined Ops with CBA and Unsung only, same issue...the program stops responding.

Unsung seems to work as it's supposed to through my ArmA2 start-up, even with all my other mods enabled.

And all my other missions work with Combined Ops, even when Unsung is enabled.

This "recieving" issue only seems to happen on the Unsung missions, through Combined Ops start-up.

I've tried to re-download/re-apply the mod through different mirrors to make sure it wasn't a corrupted file.

I have re-downloaded and re-installed all the latest patches.

Still, the issue persists.

Now I hear that others are running through Combined Ops with no issues, and I'm totally at a loss.

What gives?

I'm no programmer, so I don't know exactly what's happening here, but am I the only one having this problem?

Is there anyone who can point me toward a solution?

I mean, if it's just me, I'm probably doing SOMETHING wrong.

But I've checked and double-checked, and even triple-checked. And others are now telling me this should work.

Again, it seems to only affect Unsung, and only with a Combined Ops start-up....

I just don't get it.

Please help....anyone?

Same thing happens to me since that last patch, everything is fine except MBGNAM and Unsung, both hang on loading and give some "buffer not large enough" error.

Doesn't seem to affect ATI as it still works on my 6870 CF rig but won't work on either of my Nvidia rigs :(

It works in ArmA 2 but not in CO and I also noticed that if I set video memory to default it will work but performance is awful.

I think I already tried it with the latest patch but I'll check again now and thanx for the heads up :D

*EDIT*

I guess I didn't try it or forgot to enable beta because it does work now, thanx again!

Edited by BangTail

I was wondering if it might have had something to do with the latest patches.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX260...a halfway decent card.

And my view distance is about 3600...a bit high, I know.

But hey, at least I'm not crazy! :yay:

I'll play through ArmA2 for the time being.

It's an acceptable solution, now that I know it's an issue with the mod/patch/video card, and not my own stupidity.

Not sure if it's a game issue, or a mod issue specifically, but it might be something the Unsung team would want to take note of.

Anyway, thank you guys.

Here's hoping that the next patch (which should be here by the 24th, along with the PMC), or the next Unsung installment clears this up. Everything is just SO much more convenient through Combined Ops.

I appreciate the fast responses, as well!

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon and it is not fixed (at least not for me).

After I tried it a few more times I got the error again:

Internal error: Rendering command buffer to small

:(

*EDIT*

Lowering the view distance to 2K seems to alleviate it for now.

Edited by BangTail

@Ben Endless

Same here - OA+BAF, latest patch(es) and nothing but "receiving" when I try to open the mode from there. Specs in my sig (so not limited to a specific GPU).

Update - works fine for Arma2 vanilla without OA or BAF. Nice work ! One query, does everyone get flashing textures on Epicentre ?

Edited by cjph

@Ben Endless

Same here - OA+BAF, latest patch(es) and nothing but "receiving" when I try to open the mode from there. Specs in my sig (so not limited to a specific GPU).

Yah, it's not GPU specific, I just realised that my VD is 2K on the ATI machine and that's why it wasn't happening.

If I can add to the discussion... on my own personal machine, my VD is set to 1600...

I find that (for me), not much more is needed...

This is my new favourite mod for ArmA. Well done guys.

Thanks very much for comments. Glad you enjoy the mod.

We should have some new updates out as soon as we finish playing with.. urmm I mean testing.

I just tried both and they worked for me.

posted in wrong thread in error - removed post.

Edited by Dr@gon

Hi,

Have the floating bridges been fixed for the next release? I have been confining my activities to those maps that don't have bridges but there are a few old favorites I'd love to play again.

Floating bridges are in the VTE maps. I believe you posted in the wrong thread.

kind regards

Does anyone have a bug wich is removing ai-shooter teamate in lav-25 and btr-90?

Edit: Yep, after instalation of this mod I have missing shooter in Lav vechicle. When I turn it off, everything is ok.

It looks like units provided in this mod make problems in some orginal units.

Edited by e0s888

Does anyone have a bug wich is removing ai-shooter teamate in lav-25 and btr-90?

Are you sure this is the right thread?

kind regards

This is a pretty good mod, but the armor/air/soft units need some work.

Infantry is top notch though!

Love this mod. I just wish the SF had better Tiger Stripe textures. :(

They are such cool models but the textures just put me off so I don't use them. Any chance you guys could update the textures to be higher quality and a bit more dark green?