Sign in to follow this  
sgt_savage

The Unsung MOD (Vietnam War) Arma 2 Release

Yeah. Love the vid and the atmosphere. Really great Nam feeling. The new terrain looks brilliant. Great job CSJ. Great job all of you guys.

kind regards

Finally came around testing this. A few things I noticed playing around with it:

The empty LAW looks funny in your hands. But I guess that is because it is carried horizontally on the back. Maybe you could make it disposable?

Weapon damage seems quite high sometimes, two hits to the legs with an M16 are enough most of the time, though that was all around 100m and the dispersion is high. Need to test around more and see how it plays in a real mission, not just playing around in the editor.

I nearly always had some guys with glasses in my US squads, but the "tactical glasses" and "shades (color)" don't really fit ;)

LOD problems:

- Most units don't have their backpacks in first person, though both "LRRP Officer 1" have a white untextured pack. Seen when lying down looking over back.

- Some VC Main Force have a strange stretched polygon something behind them in first person, seen when kneeling and standing. Doh, was from the glasses, see next point:

- Some units can see their own heads (and headgear/glasses) in first person. Seen on VCs, most notable when walking with pistol aimed.

- US units with the big pouches on their lower back have it flying half a meter behind their heads on the third(?) LOD.

- All US units with a boonie hat (LRRP and SF) have LOD issues with their heads. From the second or third LOD onwards either hat, head or both disappear.

Additionally the hat/upper part from head seem to be in the wrong selections in those LODs too, as they are floating/stretched when the unit is killed and somewhere 1m away from where they should be

- Same problem seems to be on some VCs (seen on VC Main Force) with the tropical/rice hat, but not as bad.

Another model bug: You can look through some VC Main Force units, between collar and neck.

Edit: I can take pictures or clarify if needed.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to any updates :)

Edited by Scruffy

From where does it come the watch indicator in the video. Is it a mod or a feature of OA?

It has been reintroduced in OA.

But only in gay easy dificulty, if you play in veteran or above you will not see it.

It can be activated on difficulty 1-3, only not on 4 (whatever the names). Then again you can set even the easiest one to be more extreme than the hardest one on default setting.

To not be completely offtopic:

I dislike the zoom when aiming in Arma and will add a UNS version to the next update of my GUI pack. A first test version that should work for all pistols and rifles can be downloaded here. No other addons required except UNS of course, not signed yet, no guarantee for anything.

Hey Unsung team think I found something for you to adjust,

The sky box - causes major warping when flying aircraft, I think others have reported it as lag, but it isn't lag it seems to be the warping because the sky box needs adjusting or setting up if it hasn't been done.

Hope it helps Team

Bp

Hi, a question and then a bit of divagation.

I'm replaying the wonderful Lowland mission and I was wondering if the tasks are alternative or consecutive.

This time I play less Elias mode and more Barnes' way. Now I have artillery and if they dare to bit I smash them.

And bear an M60 (the second of the squad) and I dispose the load of the bullets as fast as I can:D.

First time the mission ended cause I completed my "tour of duty".

This time I would like to destroy all enemy supplies.

Even if hardened I care my platoon just the same and, for those of you that mind it, I have to comunicate the loss of "4" and "8" after ten hours of gameplay.

"4" was my first Doc, a veteran that carried a stolen Ak 47 and had always a good word in the worst situations.

"8" was my heavy gunner, He saved our a$$ several times and had a respectable toll of scores.

"4" was hit repeatedly by hidden VC while observing a village as I was searching a near canopy I saw from the chopper.

"8" was earning his pay in a blitz on a outpost we scoped pursuing 4's killers, but not before he took down 2 of that rats.

My thinking goes to their widows.

:rolleyes: Ah, someway along "4" we lost "3" as well. By the way he was a rookie.

P.S. I mean no offense to MIA, VC or rookies :D. It's just a joke to congratulate with UNSUNG team.

If some of you consider it spam let me know.

I was thinking about a post as "Letter from Viet-nam" but the spoil risk maybe is too much.

Hi, a question....alternative or consecutive.

Well... stuff just is there in the map. How and when it get's done by the player is totally up to the player. Some stuff like intel can somewhat be called alternative. This due to intel carried by enemy units can be at one end of the map at one point and on the other end at the next point. But the actual objectives/goals/targets are then again consecutive. Pretty much up to the player really. What does one want to do, how does the player want to approach this either self generated objective (like hey let's go check this spot out or ambush that spot or observe this piece for movement or check that village out for enemy or just walk the park and track enemy or attack same objective from a different side that we in previous self made mission got fubared at from that side etc) or actual objective within the mission. (like bunker attack, camp raid, intel checkout, intel gathering, blowing up weapons/ammo/medical supplies etc) Alternative and consecutive, either way. Confusing i know. It confuses me as well just by talking about it. :D

Ah yes...the loss of good men who have served for several missions in your squad out there in the field. Always tragic. Been there. Actually been similar to some actions as you. Carry a 60 with you in the field and just go nuts at anything that moves. Even if it appears to have been a chicken that poked it's head to far above a rice paddy.... I swear he had black jammy's on and carried an AK.... :j: They were all legitimate kills and counted for!

;)

Carry a 60 with you in the field and just go nuts at anything that moves. Even if it appears to have been a chicken that poked it's head to far above a rice paddy.... I swear he had black jammy's on and carried an AK.... :j: They were all legitimate kills and counted for!

;)

So thats how you've been walking through all our beta missions without a scratch!! ;)

All right, now I'm confued :D

About tasks, I wonder what's that triggers the mission end.

And now that I remember.....is it normal that I never receive side missions (only the stuff of the convoy ambushed) nor can request other support than artillery?

Maybe the other features like air strike and ammo drops in the diary are there from a standard module text?

Ah, the chickens are the worst. They stand fearless on the door line like a sentinel and prevent me to enter. They refuse to respond to my salute too :mad: I'm scared of them 'cause surely they are the minds behind all.

Ah, the chickens are the worst. They stand fearless on the door line like a sentinel and prevent me to enter. They refuse to respond to my salute too :mad: I'm scared of them 'cause surely they are the minds behind all.

The chickens are up there with clowns... freaky things they are...

Hey Unsung team think I found something for you to adjust,

The sky box - causes major warping when flying aircraft, I think others have reported it as lag, but it isn't lag it seems to be the warping because the sky box needs adjusting or setting up if it hasn't been done.

Hope it helps Team

Bp

So what is the Sky Box? Can you turn it off to eliminate the Lag?

Can you post pictures of this ?

causes major warping when flying aircraft
I see nothing unusual when flying around the island.

All right, now I'm confued :D

About tasks, I wonder what's that triggers the mission end.

And now that I remember.....is it normal that I never receive side missions (only the stuff of the convoy ambushed) nor can request other support than artillery?

Maybe the other features like air strike and ammo drops in the diary are there from a standard module text?

The mission is set up so that a player can enter and leave the base area about 25 times. How long away from the base and how long the missions he/she does while he/she is away from the base area doesn't matter. You can do 25 x 2 minute missions or 25 x 6 hour missions. It's basically 25 move outs from the base area. At the 25th time the player get's a message that this is his last mission and when he returns he's outha there and back to the world.

Side missions, there actually are no side missions. Yeah the convoy message is the only one. I never did any other messages. There's more stuff going on, but i figure players would find it eventually and get surprised to suddenly find friendly forces somewhere next to some burning wreck or fubared vill. You never get secondary missions or can ask for air strike's/ammo drops as indeed that's features coming from one of the bis modules. I had to activate that to have the BIS arty module to work. Side effect it gives secondary ops in the briefing while the mission maker doesn't have those. Didn't want that didn't need that, that don't work, but it's there as it's part of that module.

Chickens??!!! Where!!!!???? :eek:

(blast 'em with a shotgun. That always works if they stand in a doorway.)

Roger that.

So If I destroy all enemy supplies (if they are limited) but don't return base enough times, mission never ends.

Good to know cause I returned base one time in 10 hours (two now that after sunset I found me in a storm, blind and kms away from my Playboy posters, but fortunately found a taxi). I loaded the Slick like Santa's sledge :D

Is it possible that AI can't use M79 or stolen weapons? Or are they only lazy? They have the same magazines yet :confused:

Now I'm really tempted by an MP mission, don't know if my rig would perform right.

Anyway thank you again for the mod and the answers

Edited by puzzola
I hate typing errors

I can't use the lemon grenades, I assumed it was because I am using ACE2. Its no big deal I just need to pack more grenades next time :cool:.

Can you post pictures of this ? I see nothing unusual when flying around the island.

I might have experienced this. Using CO, was flying an AV-8, ~2-300m Due east in the south of the map. I got these "pauses" that lasted a few seconds and at the end I was warped ahead as if I'd been moving all along. Only time I've ever seen anything like it in game, but at the time wasn't sure if it was the map, the AV-8 being goofy in the beta patches, etc.

I'll try and reproduce it, and get more specific details, if this is indeed related to the skybox issue Vengeance mentions.

Roger that.

So If I destroy all enemy supplies (if they are limited) but don't return base enough times, mission never ends.

No no... my bad. Must have understood you wrong. It does end if you destroy the enemy supplies. That's just another option for the mission to end. There's if i remember right about 30 supplies locations that you can destroy. If 18 out of them are destroyed the mission will end as well. So yeah actually 3 ways of ending mission.

1) Do a total amount of 25 base out/base in moves.

2) Destroy 18 logistical objects/locations (medical supplies/fuel/ammo/weaponry/trucks)

3) ...die...

And there it is.

Sweet, I must find out as much lairs as I can.

Chickens and goats are accounted as supplies? :D

Sweet, I must find out as much lairs as I can.

Chickens and goats are accounted as supplies? :D

Those are intelligence officers. Take one out and you get a free case of beer....

...supplied and served by the enemy to a bunker near you.

I might have experienced this. Using CO, was flying an AV-8, ~2-300m Due east in the south of the map. I got these "pauses" that lasted a few seconds and at the end I was warped ahead as if I'd been moving all along. Only time I've ever seen anything like it in game, but at the time wasn't sure if it was the map, the AV-8 being goofy in the beta patches, etc.

I'll try and reproduce it, and get more specific details, if this is indeed related to the skybox issue Vengeance mentions.

It happens in the northern area a lot over the swamps I think, It was me that suggested that the lag people are experience when flying isn't lag but warping because the sky box might be configured incorrectly. After speaking with a few modders they spoke about this subject and suggested it might be a real possibility, something about heights needing to be input at levels that have continuity through out the level or something.

I would say that examine the sky box data for say Takistan or Chernarus and compare to the lowlands data.

I will try to dig into this and get all the info on it CSJ to give you the means to know what the heck I'm on about, as you know me and Arma I'm not fully sure my self will get back to you by PM mate.

hmm i wonder if it has anything to do with the extreme cliffs near to the swamp, they are almost vertical and cause strange white patches to show up in the terrain

Sorry for the strange request, but I'm at the house of a cousin of mine and would like to show him the Lowlands intro. I gave him the addons but not the missions :p.

Is there a way you can send me the Uns_lowland_operation real time?

thanks

Edited by puzzola
Done