Sign in to follow this  
sgt_savage

The Unsung MOD (Vietnam War) Arma 2 Release

I prefer the Unsung version to be honest more thump thump to it,

No offence of course, though I'd like to see what you could do with the mortars.

I don't think you could get more thumpy, as this sound is an actuall recording of a huey.

I don't think you could get more thumpy, as this sound is an actuall recording of a huey.

You are right, I told the guys not to use the fiat engine sound for the huey :j:

You are right, I told the guys not to use the fiat engine sound for the huey :j:

and i think the engine sound must be louder when you on board in the heli ...all doors open and it sounds like a padded cell:o.from the outside this sounds are very good

Are you kidding? you ever heard the real Huey in reallife? Your sound is movie hollywood style of huey sound

The sound inside has been debated over and over.

If you are cargo, the sound is very loud. If you are crew wired to the comm then the sound is much different.

We have to strike a balance between the both.

While exploring the objets included in the mod, I get the following missing texture error when placing trees in Visitor:

\uns_plants_tree\data\trnka_3_ca.paa

I guess that probably the right one to be configured (as is the one that appears on the pbo) would be:

trnka_3_co.paa

Cheers

I spent nearly 6 years inside choppers, the Huey is unique and the mod captures it very well indeed.

If you skip to 6mins you will see inside the sound Unsung has is sooo accurate.

a54EvNFv8d0

For outside sound, this is by far the best Huey video on the net, unsung nailed it. The first 30 seconds are stunning, get those headphones on and the volume up!

CdmG7eQXJEc

Are you kidding? you ever heard the real Huey in reallife? Your sound is movie hollywood style of huey sound

Yes i have heard the Huey in real life alot of times, I have been Transported all around East Timor in one. The Thump is heard alot better at meduim to long ranges from the actual huey, once you are actually in the huey with the doors wide open you dont get much thump thump you mostly get engine turbine noise washing down inside the chopper.

For outside sound, this is by far the best Huey video on the net, unsung nailed it. The first 30 seconds are stunning, get those headphones on and the volume up!

Oh cmon, haven't you all heared the rumours that CSJ was born in the Huey?

Later he reinvented the wheel for OFP, then arma, and now for arma2...

Oh and one of his hueys is still bringing him back through time, back to NAM :)

He he nice one Gedis, I wish it were true. :D

Yes i have heard the Huey in real life alot of times, I have been Transported all around East Timor in one. The Thump is heard alot better at medium to long ranges from the actual huey, once you are actually in the huey with the doors wide open you dont get much thump thump you mostly get engine turbine noise washing down inside the chopper.

Exactly... :)

Great Mod, quick question, before I create one has anyone developed a DAC_Config_Units for it yet?

One question: I´m using the vegetation included in the mod in a custom map and I would like to know if any of the elements included is designed for blocking the AI from seeing you (or if there is any plan to do so; I read that for your future maps it is the idea). As mine is a quite big map, if possible I would appreciate to have this info in hand before starting to populate the map like mad with bushes that do not prevent the AI to see player :p

Thanks in advance

Cheers

CdmG7eQXJEc

Ha, that's crazy, i've sat behind the right door gun of Huey 509! It does sound incredible in real life.

509bf.jpg

m60b.jpg

One question: I´m using the vegetation included in the mod in a custom map and I would like to know if any of the elements included is designed for blocking the AI from seeing you (or if there is any plan to do so; I read that for your future maps it is the idea). As mine is a quite big map, if possible I would appreciate to have this info in hand before starting to populate the map like mad with bushes that do not prevent the AI to see player :p

Thanks in advance

Cheers

ALL vegetation has View LODs set up and are functional. The main discussion revolves around balance the 'clutter' with actual vegetation placement. Clutter, as to not lower performance, does not use the View LOD which is why anyone and everyone can see through it. Actual placed vegetation has view LODs that will block human and AI line of sight.

Careful on the size of map you use... ArmA2/Visitor are limited... Both of my 25km maps (Ia Drang Valley and Plei Trap Valley) use A LOT of actual placed veg... so again, finding that right balance of vegetation placement and have the clutter fill in the gaps so to speak. IDV is currently at 3.75 million objects and runs great. I took Plei Trap for a trip to see what, if any limitations there are... I hit the 5.75 million objects before I started encountering 'out of memory' errors from Vis3.

CSJ has a 10km map I believe he is around 3-4 million objects and is already getting out of memory errors... so he is having to work around this limitation to bring his map to life.

Hope this answers your question and helps...

Let me know if you have any more.

PGI

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Ha, that's crazy, i've sat behind the right door gun of Huey 509! It does sound incredible in real life.

Great pics!

That was very kind of you, thanks for the detailed info. I love the vegetation UNS included so I will need to do my best to avoid the strong temptation to fill every hole in the map with bushes... :p

Cheers

Edited by geloxo

Hi geloxo,

the way my new map is setup is that any veg you can not hide behind is placed using clutter. Low grass, rice, small bushes that kind of thing.

All larger plants are hand placed. So the tall grass you can hide in, larger bushes etc.

The mem err I get is only that my pc is old and does not handle the volume I would like it to. In V3 if I view the whole map on screen then V3 will lock up.

The map in game plays the same as 'lowlands' or 'chernarus'. I actually get better fps with the new map then I do on lowlands.

Hi all,

first up just to add to the general positive throng ! Excellent mod, really immersive and for what ever reason some of the most intense protracted firefights Ive ever endured in any of the Flashpoint series or mods. So easy to set up a handful of squads either end of a Paddy field area and let them hammer it out ! An understated thank you to all involved. I have nothing to add on the bugs front that hasnt been said, though none of them really infringe on this superb effort.

That said....a wee problem. works as advertised in ARMA II no problem. However in OA I get a problem that has been mentioned on this thread but not replied to (apologies if Im wrong about that) I get all the infantry classes appearing in the empty objects in the editor, that means I cant select them as a player. Groups can be placed but the units cannot be selected as player. All the vehicle classes appear in the right selection boxes. Any ideas, I have ARMAII standalone install and OA on Steam ?

thanks again for your awesome efforts guys.

Hi all,

first up just to add to the general positive throng ! Excellent mod, really immersive and for what ever reason some of the most intense protracted firefights Ive ever endured in any of the Flashpoint series or mods. So easy to set up a handful of squads either end of a Paddy field area and let them hammer it out ! An understated thank you to all involved. I have nothing to add on the bugs front that hasnt been said, though none of them really infringe on this superb effort.

That said....a wee problem. works as advertised in ARMA II no problem. However in OA I get a problem that has been mentioned on this thread but not replied to (apologies if Im wrong about that) I get all the infantry classes appearing in the empty objects in the editor, that means I cant select them as a player. Groups can be placed but the units cannot be selected as player. All the vehicle classes appear in the right selection boxes. Any ideas, I have ARMAII standalone install and OA on Steam ?

thanks again for your awesome efforts guys.

Have you installed the latest patch? Try this:

http://www.armanam.com/datas/downloads/Unsung_MOD_Patch_1.rar

Sav

Exactly... :)

True but that is the same for any chopper the turbine is loud inside, but I guess I have to disagree a little cos I always heard the thump with the doors open, especially when pulling G same as it is in the flyin coffin, very loud thumping then of course.

Its a great shame the arma engine cant model the shake/bounce from the thump when you pull positive G, now that would be cool, plus the thump sound could be added inside to that premise as well.

#Bigpickle flies off to dreamland thinking about how cool it would be# :D

Have you installed the latest patch? Try this:

http://www.armanam.com/datas/downloads/Unsung_MOD_Patch_1.rar

Sav

Thanks Sav, but I already have the patch installed, so the problem remains. I tried dropping the enitre contents of the addons folder into the BAF addon DLC module for OA but the effect was the same (that is to say bypassing the need to activate the @UNS expansion in OA). Im not desperate to solve it as Im perfectly happy playing it via ARMA 2. Only problem is I spend most of my time with ARMA OA playing online with my mate head to head, and he dosnt have ARMA II only OA so we cant fight it out in the jungle just yet. I wonder what it could be and what my setup has in common with the other guy who had the same issue ?

edit: same issue as Clharris1995 on page 19 of this thread.

thanks

Nick

Edited by nickmow

Hi geloxo,

The mem err I get is only that my pc is old and does not handle the volume I would like it to. In V3 if I view the whole map on screen then V3 will lock up.

The map in game plays the same as 'lowlands' or 'chernarus'. I actually get better fps with the new map then I do on lowlands.

Thanks for the info and great to hear about that.

By the way, you may be interested to try a little program called CleanMem, which actually makes programs to get rid of the unused RAM, reducing the workload and resources being used. I have been using it for a long even with Arma2 game, and makes OA executable to drop from 750MB memory used down to 50MB as soon as the game starts. As soon as game runs it increases memory usage but it will periodically clean up memory so that the exe only loads whatever it needs at any time and not the whole map, for instance. It may be useful for Visitor in your case too.

Cheers