Sign in to follow this  
sgt_savage

The Unsung MOD (Vietnam War) Arma 2 Release

@ Bang Tail, we are very aware of that issue re the rvmat, and we are going to get a fix out as soon as it's done.

@ Bang Tail, we are very aware of that issue re the rvmat, and we are going to get a fix out as soon as it's done.

Nice one mate :)

Thanks for the feedback guys it's much appreciated.

The issue of AI LoS is/has been addressed. problem if you want to say it's a problem is the islands being made now are all individual trees bushes etc not forest sections like back in A1 and OFP. Back then you just made the view geo lod for the 40x40 grid and placed the forest section and volia AI view block. Auto clutter in A1 and A2 do not use geo lods as it would really draw down the performance. So What we had to do is make a few generic 40x40 view blocks eg a thick jungle view block and a grass view block, they have been made but only the jungle view block was implemented in about 70% of the jungled areas, the grass view block was not added yet. They do work but we are tweeking them to get the best AI view block that still gives the AI some view distance.

First tests you could walk right up to an AI in the jungle and he wouldn't see you only if you made a sound or fired your weapon did he become aware of your presence. We have relaxed this but it still needs work. We have made the view block using vertical and horizontal layers so even if a heli flies over head there is a good chance he wont see you. The grass view block sections work very well and will be added for the next patch.

There are also other options we are looking at other then the view block sections but these will take a bit to make and implement.

We don't like being shot at from 200 feet by the AI also so it's right up there on out to do list.

Cheers

Mod no wokrie on dedi :( me sad Keanu :(
A general question but I cant get this running on the dedi because of things like :

cannot load material file uns_sf\data\us_hhl_wound1.rvmat 

I'm getting that one too(on dedi just load mission again and it will pass through).

I'm getting that one too(on dedi just load mission again and it will pass through).

Nice, cheers for that mate :D

But the thing is that our squad uploaded the mod on a server and it dosen't work (wont lunch any mission). Did any one else had this problem?

But the thing is that our squad uploaded the mod on a server and it dosen't work (wont lunch any mission). Did any one else had this problem?

If it's this error message you get then load mission again.

cannot load material file uns_sf\data\us_hhl_wound1.rvmat

My congratulation to the release.

I had my first go yesterday. Placed more or less 200 units in the thick jungle. Movements are pretty smooth, not withstanding the amount of units and the thick vegetation. Lowlands is an outstanding map, I love especially the thick jungle crammed with plants.

During the fire fights I never saw the enemy. :D My AI team mates were shooting like mad, without me ever seeing one single enemy in the jungle. Firefights for human players is pretty tough.

Thanks for all your work you put into this MOD and sharing it with the community. Haven't found a bug so far apart from what has already been reported.

Kind regards

Edited by nettrucker

My congratulation to the release.

I had my first go yesterday. Placed more or less 200 units in the thick jungle. Movements are pretty smooth, not withstanding the amount of units and the thick vegetation. Lowlands is an outstanding map, I love especially the thick jungle crammed with plants.

During the fire fights I never saw the enemy. :D My AI team mates were shooting like mad, without me ever seeing on single enemy in the jungle. Firefights for human players is pretty tough.

Thanks for all your work you put into this MOD and sharing it with the community. Haven't found a bug so far apart from what has already been reported.

Kind regards

Could'nt say it better (am i lazzy ?). So, fully agreeing with this :cool:

During the fire fights I never saw the enemy. :D My AI team mates were shooting like mad, without me ever seeing one single enemy in the jungle. Firefights for human players is pretty tough.

Exactly, but i can't see myself playing like this much, it might be fun a few times but then it ends.

I love this mod but i hope a new less cluttered map will come in near future :)

Exactly, but i can't see myself playing like this much, it might be fun a few times but then it ends.

I love this mod but i hope a new less cluttered map will come in near future :)

Well in case of mission design, the designer should chose the battlefield very carefully. There are enough open spaces on the Lowland map to get some really nice missions done. When playing yesterday in the thick jungle it reminded me a bit of the 1st Vietcong. The atmosphere was really great. I believe that also in real life you'll have troubles to spot an enemy in a dense jungle. Looking forward to eventual new maps (Islands) of the Unsung MOD.

In any case it's great so far.

kind regards

There are enough open spaces on the Lowland map to get some really nice missions done.

Well even in the open spaces your standing to your neck in grass and plants, you feel like you can't breath anywhere.

I believe that also in real life you'll have troubles to spot an enemy in a dense jungle.

No doubt about that, but this is a game so why pick the thickest of the thickest when it so easy becomes a pain. Also in real life things are bigger, in ArmA everthing is tiny which makes it even harder to spot movements, your senses in real life works A LOT better than in ArmA(vision/hearing).

Well even in the open spaces your standing to your neck in grass and plants, you feel like you can't breath anywhere.

Sounds like we need chemical defoliants or napalm. :) There was a napalm addon for ArmA back in the day by Mondkalb that burned away some of the vegetation. Could be useful.

Although the mod is WIP I love it nonetheless. I didn't need to tweak any settings, the whole thing runs as smooth as butter for me. Firefights with Charlie can be a bit challenging at times as people have already said but other than that it's great. Jungle patrols have a great atmosphere.

Right then, the mod is out and no kittens got hurt!

We have been having some games over at Zeus and it has been sweet so far. The plan is to have 'Nam nights on saturdays (you're always invited warrior, as is anyone else for that matter I suppose). You'll need ACRE tho (if ever there was a mod that screamed for ACRE, this be it).

One thing we were missing a little bit was backpack functionality, but at the same time we didn't want to ruin your spiffy models. So how about this: You put on the backpack proxies so the models can carry a backpack, and then create an invisible backpack (just a config job really, as I understand it). That way we get to have our cake and eat it.

Whaddaya think?

Edited by Hund

I really like what I see thus far with this mod! I don't want to see the jungle "defoliated". It should be as-is; thick and lush! Now that being said, if the AI could get to a more realistic sight before firing, that would be ideal. I know you guys are working on it so I'm sure you will come up with something that will make it better.

Keep up the great work!

I really like what I see thus far with this mod! I don't want to see the jungle "defoliated". It should be as-is; thick and lush! Now that being said, if the AI could get to a more realistic sight before firing, that would be ideal. I know you guys are working on it so I'm sure you will come up with something that will make it better.

Keep up the great work!

yeah i totally agree..dont make defoiated! my uncle as some of you may remeber me saying from previous posts was in the army and IIRC was in the 4th infantry, then became a sniper in a LRRP team on one of his later tours! and from all the hundreds of pics he showed me..some of which was actually taking by him and the LRRP team of enemy objects(like one was from a mission he did where they had to scout a supply depo along the "Ho Chi Minh trail"), and i can tell you that the guys of unsung took it easy on there jungle island(lowlands map)! as he said most engagments his team encountered was on accident on most occasions(and he said most times even the NVA\VC was just as suprised as his team) and that it happened so close most times that the pointman could stab the enemy pointman lol! and he told very bone chilling true stories of hand to hand combat that they did(and i dont lie about this..it was creepy shit he talked about..stuff u dont see on the history channel\docs\movies)! and on top of that he had another 3 hour talk about missions and shit he did while being the platoons "Tunnel Rat"...thats a storie for another day cause i doubt this comunity cases about my uncle and his crazy stories of nam!

but yeah my uncle was very impressed about all this, and even tho he knew nothing about arma and all that, i had to..in a 1 long speech explain what arma was..what the comunity and these forums were, and how it links and supports togather(comunity + BIS)! and i explained how the "Unsung Mod" is not a paid game developers company and you guys are just pretty much some friends who like many many other bi comunity members\mods do this for free and for fun! and i know..i know this is an extremly long and irrelevant to this thread, but......on behalf of my uncle(who requested me to say this!!!)

DISCLAIMER: This can be a long, and boaring\lame speech kinda thing lol, but was requested to be said to you guys at the unsung mod team, on behalf of my uncle!

so to the Unsung Mod-From the words of my Uncle Ronnie: many people dont understand the importances of our history, and how we learn from the past! and even tho this is a game, like many other war games(i guess he meant like the d-day invasion games) it allows people to see and understand what young guys(well he meant young at that time haha) like him and the thousands of other nam-vets went through! and it sheds light on that fact of what it means to fight for the man next to you! (as he told me) most wars fought like ww2 was a war that gave the u.s. a reason to fight..a reason to be patriotic! where as vietnam(as he explained) after the first week of being in country, that whole "patriotic and fighting for freedom" BS goes right out the window,(and as he put it) it is one of the first wars where soldiers fought for 2 reasons, and 2 reason ONLY...the first is for your life, secound is for the life of the men next to you..as unlike many other wars your in a place that has absolutly nothing to do with the u.s.(whether ppl believe so or not) so your not fighting for the freedom of your country..noir are you fighting for anything that the u.s. should be involved in!

so all in all my uncle just wanted to say thank you for what you are doing, and whether you guys know it or not, your doing a great deal for anyone who served in nam(as by getting ppl inteserted and involved and forther more giving ppl knowlege of what soldiers did in nam..and so all those that served and died in nam can get the respect they deserve!

and i would like to give my thx to you guys as i now know what my uncle meant by this game gives ppl more knowlege on nam..as since iv been interested in nam(since a1 release of uns mod)i have learned alot more of what these guys went throw, and i now have more respect! and forther more, i can proudly say that since when i was young my uncles stories of working with the "Jolly Greens(elite & original of the CSAR)" had inspired me to do the bit of combat search & rescue(CSAR) i did in my limited serve in the united states air force! and i can proudly say i got to serve with the modern desendents of the jolly green giants\pedros(who are still very much alive and kicking)!

END Of Lame Speech lol

@Unsung team: Anyways i got a few questions:

1. as you may have read i served in the usaf with the csar fella's and so that gives me the feeling to want to play as my nam-counter parts..so on that note!!! any chance to see some HH-53B's or HH-3's in nam-camo paint job? and maby a modified\re-skined air crewmen to make PJ's or some other type of csar ground force unit to go with the JGG's Helos?

2.another question? any plans for some fast attack jets or sumthing that the FAC's can call in for CAS?

3. this one kind of goes with the second question but any chance for Napalm..that like stated\reqested above can actually burn for awhile and burn away vegitation and trees..to clear for quick insertion\exstraction???

well thats it for now, im sure ill have more questions and requests but for now im at work so i wont bother ya guys too much lol!

p.s. sorry for this long annoying post, have a great day and keep up the outstanding work fella's!

Dave,

yeah i totally agree..dont make defoiated! my uncle as some of you may remeber me saying from previous posts was in the army and IIRC was in the 4th infantry, then became a sniper in a LRRP team on one of his later tours! and from all the hundreds of pics he showed me..some of which was actually taking by him and the LRRP team of enemy objects(like one was from a mission he did where they had to scout a supply depo along the "Ho Chi Minh trail"), and i can tell you that the guys of unsung took it easy on there jungle island(lowlands map)! as he said most engagments his team encountered was on accident on most occasions(and he said most times even the NVA\VC was just as suprised as his team) and that it happened so close most times that the pointman could stab the enemy pointman lol! and he told very bone chilling true stories of hand to hand combat that they did(and i dont lie about this..it was creepy shit he talked about..stuff u dont see on the history channel\docs\movies)! and on top of that he had another 3 hour talk about missions and shit he did while being the platoons "Tunnel Rat"...thats a storie for another day cause i doubt this comunity cases about my uncle and his crazy stories of nam!

but yeah my uncle was very impressed about all this, and even tho he knew nothing about arma and all that, i had to..in a 1 long speech explain what arma was..what the comunity and these forums were, and how it links and supports togather(comunity + BIS)! and i explained how the "Unsung Mod" is not a paid game developers company and you guys are just pretty much some friends who like many many other bi comunity members\mods do this for free and for fun! and i know..i know this is an extremly long and irrelevant to this thread, but......on behalf of my uncle(who requested me to say this!!!)

DISCLAIMER: This can be a long, and boaring\lame speech kinda thing lol, but was requested to be said to you guys at the unsung mod team, on behalf of my uncle!

so to the Unsung Mod-From the words of my Uncle Ronnie: many people dont understand the importances of our history, and how we learn from the past! and even tho this is a game, like many other war games(i guess he meant like the d-day invasion games) it allows people to see and understand what young guys(well he meant young at that time haha) like him and the thousands of other nam-vets went through! and it sheds light on that fact of what it means to fight for the man next to you! (as he told me) most wars fought like ww2 was a war that gave the u.s. a reason to fight..a reason to be patriotic! where as vietnam(as he explained) after the first week of being in country, that whole "patriotic and fighting for freedom" BS goes right out the window,(and as he put it) it is one of the first wars where soldiers fought for 2 reasons, and 2 reason ONLY...the first is for your life, secound is for the life of the men next to you..as unlike many other wars your in a place that has absolutly nothing to do with the u.s.(whether ppl believe so or not) so your not fighting for the freedom of your country..noir are you fighting for anything that the u.s. should be involved in!

so all in all my uncle just wanted to say thank you for what you are doing, and whether you guys know it or not, your doing a great deal for anyone who served in nam(as by getting ppl inteserted and involved and forther more giving ppl knowlege of what soldiers did in nam..and so all those that served and died in nam can get the respect they deserve!

and i would like to give my thx to you guys as i now know what my uncle meant by this game gives ppl more knowlege on nam..as since iv been interested in nam(since a1 release of uns mod)i have learned alot more of what these guys went throw, and i now have more respect! and forther more, i can proudly say that since when i was young my uncles stories of working with the "Jolly Greens(elite & original of the CSAR)" had inspired me to do the bit of combat search & rescue(CSAR) i did in my limited serve in the united states air force! and i can proudly say i got to serve with the modern desendents of the jolly green giants\pedros(who are still very much alive and kicking)!

END Of Lame Speech lol

@Unsung team: Anyways i got a few questions:

1. as you may have read i served in the usaf with the csar fella's and so that gives me the feeling to want to play as my nam-counter parts..so on that note!!! any chance to see some HH-53B's or HH-3's in nam-camo paint job? and maby a modified\re-skined air crewmen to make PJ's or some other type of csar ground force unit to go with the JGG's Helos?

2.another question? any plans for some fast attack jets or sumthing that the FAC's can call in for CAS?

3. this one kind of goes with the second question but any chance for Napalm..that like stated\reqested above can actually burn for awhile and burn away vegitation and trees..to clear for quick insertion\exstraction???

well thats it for now, im sure ill have more questions and requests but for now im at work so i wont bother ya guys too much lol!

p.s. sorry for this long annoying post, have a great day and keep up the outstanding work fella's!

Dave,

I truly do not know what to say to that... and I always have something to say... Tell your uncle thank you for the kind response. It is feedback like this that makes our efforts worth while. Makes the details we include worth while. Makes the minutes, hours, weeks, months worth it in the end... This has always been our intent... we are quite passionate about the Vietnam Conflict and we hope to convey to others what all fighting forces that participated went through while stationed there... this is not limited to the US forces... many countries/nationalities served...

We always set out to try and recreate an environment based on our knowledge from what we've read, researched, viewed pics of.... I hope the time we spent on this shows... From your uncle's feedback, it looks like we are in the ballpark...

1 - Yeah, I thought we had plans on creating a 3 or 53 in the future... that is up CSJ's alley since he is the copter guy... hopefully he has time...

2 - yes, we have plans for fixed wing aircraft... we had a Skyraider running around along with a Phantom... need to check on those... somewhere in the motorpool...

3 - Agreed... we need to develop a good napalm script... can't have Nam without napalm...

For some reason when this mod is active it causes any other map's water ambient sounds to be the jungle sounds. Approaching any coastline also causes the jungle ambience to get very loud.

I truly do not know what to say to that... and I always have something to say... Tell your uncle thank you for the kind response. It is feedback like this that makes our efforts worth while. Makes the details we include worth while. Makes the minutes, hours, weeks, months worth it in the end... This has always been our intent... we are quite passionate about the Vietnam Conflict and we hope to convey to others what all fighting forces that participated went through while stationed there... this is not limited to the US forces... many countries/nationalities served...

We always set out to try and recreate an environment based on our knowledge from what we've read, researched, viewed pics of.... I hope the time we spent on this shows... From your uncle's feedback, it looks like we are in the ballpark...

1 - Yeah, I thought we had plans on creating a 3 or 53 in the future... that is up CSJ's alley since he is the copter guy... hopefully he has time...

2 - yes, we have plans for fixed wing aircraft... we had a Skyraider running around along with a Phantom... need to check on those... somewhere in the motorpool...

3 - Agreed... we need to develop a good napalm script... can't have Nam without napalm...

thanks for the reply bud! and before i wrote this response i had called up my uncle to tell him i passed on what he told me too, and i read to him your responce and i can swear i could hear him choking up a bit! and he said, even tho he doubts he will actually come and join us on here and play, he said he will always be happy to help out in any other way...just pm me with any questions or anything you may need, may you need his or my help!

OnTopic: thanks for the reply on my questions...glad to here! and if we get them csar birds...rest ashored there will be tons of nicly made missions using them, and hell i know of actual accounts inwhich i can make missions from, that would include nearly everything(units\air\ground) in the uns mod!

btw love the layout of the airbase on fob..one suggestion for the airbase if i may! it would probly be nice to including "parking zones" for the aircraft...maby sumthing like this http://www.gingerb.com/VIETNAM%20Binh%20Thuy%20Seawolf%20322%20on%20Flight%20Line.jpg meaing the area to the left that has the sign on it that says "26B"! and since them things are already in your mod it should be easy to implament along the open area near the left end of the airbase(by the 2 hangers or adjacent from the hangers next to the housing area? but again its just a suggestion it looks perfect how it is now!

good luck gents, and thanks again for this alsome mod!

Dave,

Jungle sounds to loud ??? not realy:rolleyes:

Yes, really. You can roll your eyes all you want but I'm talking about the ambient sounds overriding ocean sounds and disregarding the Music slider in the options...the authors asked the community to report all bugs to help them in being squashed so that's what I'm doing. If you aren't experiencing this issue, be thankful about it and enjoy the mod, but don't be dismissive just because you don't know what I'm talking about.

thanks for the reply bud! and before i wrote this response i had called up my uncle to tell him i passed on what he told me too, and i read to him your responce and i can swear i could hear him choking up a bit! and he said, even tho he doubts he will actually come and join us on here and play, he said he will always be happy to help out in any other way...just pm me with any questions or anything you may need, may you need his or my help!

OnTopic: thanks for the reply on my questions...glad to here! and if we get them csar birds...rest ashored there will be tons of nicly made missions using them, and hell i know of actual accounts inwhich i can make missions from, that would include nearly everything(units\air\ground) in the uns mod!

btw love the layout of the airbase on fob..one suggestion for the airbase if i may! it would probly be nice to including "parking zones" for the aircraft...maby sumthing like this http://www.gingerb.com/VIETNAM%20Binh%20Thuy%20Seawolf%20322%20on%20Flight%20Line.jpg meaing the area to the left that has the sign on it that says "26B"! and since them things are already in your mod it should be easy to implament along the open area near the left end of the airbase(by the 2 hangers or adjacent from the hangers next to the housing area? but again its just a suggestion it looks perfect how it is now!

good luck gents, and thanks again for this alsome mod!

Dave,

Thanks for the input mate. We really do appreciate it, as PGI said, it's comments like this that make it all worth while! :)

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Yes, really. You can roll your eyes all you want but I'm talking about the ambient sounds overriding ocean sounds and disregarding the Music slider in the options...the authors asked the community to report all bugs to help them in being squashed so that's what I'm doing. If you aren't experiencing this issue, be thankful about it and enjoy the mod, but don't be dismissive just because you don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks! We'll look into it and add it to the bug list. :)

Thanks for the input mate. We really do appreciate it, as PGI said, it's comments like this that make it all worth while! :)

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Thanks! We'll look into it and add it to the bug list. :)

Sweet, thanks. Great map by the way, I said 'wow' out loud when it first loaded in the editor after dropping a player unit. Haven't yet seen this kind of density with almost no drop in performance, well done.