Sign in to follow this  
dr. hladik

New mergeConfigFile scripting command

I believe this was explained in good detail before but I will try to summarize it again:

it touches the very low level parts of the engine and allowing this command to be mission specific would require major overhaul of many parts of it that would take many months of work with extremely high risk of braking many aspects. So certainly not possible for any patch.

The way we want to design it in the end is that in sp it will be possible to use it as well as in mp on any server that is not worried about cheating.

Right, okay. :) No worries.

Either way, it'd be quite a wonderful addition, EVEN if its only application were to allow addon editors to edit their addons without having to restart the game constantly. As it stands now, it CAN be used for all kinds of fun stuff for mission makers as well (like changing the displayname of a particular unit or maybe editing armor values on the fly etc etc.). Looking forward to the official update. :bounce3:

Regards,

Wolfrug

OK, so this command effects object's configs in real game time, not just at mission start yes? I'm thinking in particular about a possible solution for a current development I have, where changing one of the sky textures in real game time would be really good.

OK, so this command effects object's configs in real game time, not just at mission start yes? I'm thinking in particular about a possible solution for a current development I have, where changing one of the sky textures in real game time would be really good.

No, it changes the config on the fly, but they are only in effect when the object is created.

So Im quite sure your idea doesnt work unfortunately, it only works when you re-load the island.

Yup. Same with sound configs. I find I actually have to restart the mission twice for the changes to take effect. So.

1. Edit sound config.

2. Restart.

3. Restart.

4. Listen to the changes.

5. Goto 1 :)

But it sure beats restarting the game for each change :D

So, if it is run in the mission init, then the change will be in effect for that mission?

If not, would a possible workaround be to have it saveGame immediately, then loadGame immediately?

So, in the mission init:

1 - mergeConfigFile

2 - saveGame

3 - loadGame

(4? - loadGame again)

? :)

What happens if you create a global custom vehicle via createvehicle, and another player joins via JIP ?

Can you use this via __EXEC(mergeconfigfile ... ) in description.ext?

can only say: idea of the day!!! :yay:

tried it and it works.

You might want to try this. init.sqf wouldnt work, since the models are already loaded, but description.ext is loaded before, I think.

Ah - that does look like a f'n brilliant idea. :)

Before I test it, can someone confirm, though, that the effect of a mergeConfig in the .ext will only apply to that mission? So, let's say we make the Apache a flying cow for purposes of an absurdist mission, if we load a new mission, it will go back to a helo? :)

Ah - that does look like a f'n brilliant idea. :)

Before I test it, can someone confirm, though, that the effect of a mergeConfig in the .ext will only apply to that mission? So, let's say we make the Apache a flying cow for purposes of an absurdist mission, if we load a new mission, it will go back to a helo? :)

Nope, once you mergeconfig once, it stays that way until you restart the game.

However, you could simply create a properly tagged, different version of the vehicle (MADCW_Ah64), which won't override anything, and you should be fine. This is the thing with this command: once you go about overriding (i.e. replacing) default classes, you'll screw up the game for yourself until you've restarted, sadly.

Regards,

Wolfrug

[73625] New: mergeConfigFile script function

1. start mission with AH-64

2. run mergeConfigFile ["c:\Arma2OA\EDITED_CFG\AIR_e\ah64.cpp"]

3. restart mission

4. your chopper should be using data from given config file

1. If I use the command in step 2, from there the #include paths inside ah64.cpp will start from? "UserDir", arma2oa.exe current working directory, or something else?

2. Is the syntax at BIKI correct or why you don't use the 2nd parameter?

3. If I use -profiles=x:\profiles -name=alef, and 2nd argument "true", will be the the "UserDir" mentioned the BIKI x:\profiles\Users\alef\ ?

Is mergeConfigFile support yet?

I try sample mission attached to issue:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/14163

and get follow error:

Error in expression <mergeConfigFile ["test.cpp",false]>

Error position: <["test.cpp",false]>

Error Missing ;

The same error, I get then try call mergeConfigFile in my mission;

-

arma 2 CO: beta version 1.55.74858

Is mergeConfigFile support yet?

mergeConfigFile was removed completely in 1.55

Xeno

mergeConfigFile was removed completely in 1.55

Xeno

Thanks a lot,

:(

I saw it as a useful feature.

Hope there is some way of getting it's functionality back, because it was a dream for addon work. Dangerous as hell for missions though.

My guess is , its not to be in Official patches, but will be in betas?

My guess is , its not to be in Official patches, but will be in betas?

Until proper system to handle its multiplayer effects is in place, the only way to use it is to "downgrade" to the last beta that had it.

Ooof... Unfortunate series of events with this bone. Just realized today as I went to utilize it. :(

Until proper system to handle its multiplayer effects is in place

Somewhat promising though!

Edited by Gnome_AS

Is BIS still thinking about reestablishing this? I currently HAVE to use this, I've gone so far as deleting the BAF and PMC addons which require 1.57 so I can run the 1.54.73968 beta. For any kind of complex modding it is irreplaceable, as it removes the need for the tiring "change one number, pbo it and restart Arma2, load the mission and try it" routine.