Sign in to follow this  
-EC-M.O.R

AI Pathfinding in Vehicles on Takistan

Hello!

I don't visit the forum frequently atm, so i'm sorry if i'm double posting.

My question:

Is there any specific opportunity to make my ai drive only on roads? It is very annoying when there's a long, 1-2km road with "light" curves and my ai is driving only through the mountains, bounces off a rock and dies. If anybody knows a solution, plz let me know!!

Thx for the help

Edit: 5 Vodniks from Chak Chak to Sakhe, 3 commited suicide in the mountains, why are there roads?! I'm confused....

Edited by [EC]M.O.R

It would be nice if for the next ArmA 3 game, that they put -very- much more effort into the AI in general. It means so much to the game to have a strong and intelligent AI. This is for the reasons M.O.R mentions, and also for battle intelligence in combat. The AI needs to be able to know what vehicle or soldier it is controlling and it really needs to know its surroundings and have awareness of what is a road and what can be used as cover.

If ArmA 3 could really bring improvements it will become very popular!

You're absolutely right. The ai is the thing, that makes this game so interesting and special. Of course it is the hardest part to program and dev. and of course my post shouldn't be an insult on the dev's , no way.But its so..damn..You know i'm sitting at the frontline in my mission, i need backup, but my drunken AI-drivers are somewhere in the mountains. :rolleyes:

Sure, i am patient, i am since i got arma2 last year. And i always see improvements from bis and i know that bis is one of the smaller dev-studios,but thats exactly why i love them and their product. It's just a hint for the next improvement..

M.O.R;1762667']Hello!

I don't visit the forum frequently atm' date=' so i'm sorry if i'm double posting.

My question:

Is there any specific opportunity to make my ai drive only on roads? It is very annoying when there's a long, 1-2km road with "light" curves and my ai is driving only through the mountains, bounces off a rock and dies. If anybody knows a solution, plz let me know!!

Thx for the help

Edit: 5 Vodniks from Chak Chak to Sakhe, 3 commited suicide in the mountains, why are there roads?! I'm confused....[/quote']

The AI driving is an old known issue. Normally in mission design when the waypoints behaviour is set to safe the AI stays pretty much on the road. It's a mess if you're grouping different vehicle types with different speed together though. This is really an old issue that couldn't be overcome until now. Who knows if it will ever be.

kind regards

... Normally in mission design when the waypoints behaviour is set to safe the AI stays pretty much on the road. ...

Not to forget, put them also in Column formation - no surprise if they go offroad while in wedge formation ;)

But even then, they will still have some trouble :(

With all the improvements in the AI between ArmA 1 and ArmA 2... and there are many note-worthy achievements.... AI path-finding is a fundamental step backwards it seems. They feel like they've become functionally worse.

However, to be fair, the AI live a very complex world and it's only increased in complexity going from A1 to A2.

Infantry are pretty good at what they do. It would be nice if someone would teach squad AI to step over fences like the player does so they can keep up with the player... but overall, they do ok (mostly).

Vehicle AI is a shining black eye on the otherwise impressive repertoire of abilities. If there is one thing that betrays the "Intelligence" of AI and breaks the suspension of disbelief (immersion).... it's watching a tank attempt to drive a clear path between A and B... or watching Helicopters in formation or attempting to land in combat.

Make sure that the AI behavior is set to "Careless" or "Safe".

Otherwise they'll ignore roads.