Sign in to follow this  
Pvt.mcdonald

Armaholic - all news and info

Hey, so I havnt been able to open armaholic on google chrome firefox or explorer. anyone have similar experiences?

Edited by Foxhound
Title changed, will be moved to general if needed with permission from Placebo!

The server provider has done some maintenance friday night. Since that required a server shutdown on reboot it seems the server refuses to come back to life so a reinstall is required of the software.

No idea how long this is going to take but be prepared we will have lost a few days of content. The databases are pretty up to date (probably just 1 or 2 days lost). But regarding files and uploaded screenshots etc I guess we loose all month of September.

I finally found the courage to see when I last backuped the server to my home server....

And its not even that bad. Last backup was 19th of September, so that means 12 days max of lost files and pictures which were uploaded to the server.

I am still not sure about the DB, as the last DB backup is on my laptop (i make backups all over the place to not loose data if one comp with backups fails) and I only saw now I forgot the power cable and the battery is empty. Maybe I jump on the motorbike and drive to the business to get it to see what DB info we have.

I also saw our server has been disconnected now from the internal network from our host so hopefully they are working on it to restore it.

I asked them to check the HW before reinstalling everything cause the error might indicate faulty hardware but also bugged software. If they reinstall without checking we might be pushed back in time without reason.

I will keep you updated!

[edit]

Hmmm, everytime I update you I forget we also have a nice server located in France thanks to Tom!

That server is not the fictim of this issue, meaning any pages with links to files added after the 12th will at least have 1 working download link!!

Edited by Guest
forgot other server

When the server will back on web, we'll be able to restore the files quickly (4 or 5h I guess).

More news will come this night.

Complete outage.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

If you would like a maybe some of us could help out with some S3 space for you to set up automatic backups to a cloud...

I finally found the courage to see when I last backuped the server to my home server.......

And its not even that bad. Last backup was 19th of September, so that means 12 days max of lost files and pictures which were uploaded to the server.

I am still not sure about the DB, as the last DB backup is on my laptop (i make backups all over the place to not loose data if one comp with backups fails) and I only saw now I forgot the power cable and the battery is empty. Maybe I jump on the motorbike and drive to the business to get it to see what DB info we have.

I also saw our server has been disconnected now from the internal network from our host so hopefully they are working on it to restore it.

I asked them to check the HW before reinstalling everything cause the error might indicate faulty hardware but also bugged software. If they reinstall without checking we might be pushed back in time without reason.

I will keep you updated!

[edit]

Hmmm, everytime I update you I forget we also have a nice server located in France thanks to Tom!

That server is not the fictim of this issue, meaning any pages with links to files added after the 12th will at least have 1 working download link!!

Complete outage.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

If you would like a maybe some of us could help out with some S3 space for you to set up automatic backups to a cloud...

I finally found the courage to see when I last backuped the server to my home server.......

Thanks for the offer, for the db, we've got all necessary, but for the files, it represents a very large amount of GB :D We use the second mirror as backup.

But anyway, I keep your offer in record, we never know ;)

Thanks all for the nice replies and also about the offer(s). Dont worry, I am pretty much settled with those backups. I always do a full backup of the site now and than. I have even 3 different backups from different dates always (paranoid huh). But lately I was a very busy so the manual backup was a bit "delayed".

I have had an answer from the host, it seems the HD we have on the server is broken beyond repair and installing a new HD + OS is the only option.

So, this will take some time to since SunRaa will also have to reconfigure the server and install all thats needed again.

I will report back with any new updates.

Next step : Pre-prod version with a failover, never that again :)

Thanks for you support !

Sorry, I can not give an estimate. The new HD and OS are installed this evening/night. Than Sunraa has to setup everything again but he has a normal day job to do first so can only work on things during the evening. So, he starts on Monday I guess, no idea how long it will take him to do it all again.

Thanks for all the support we are recieving people, we really appreciate all your messages :yay:

Now, onto the next update about the server status.

As you can see the server is back up and running, however this is just the default page you can see now.

We still have to configure the server completely from here and I guess it will be by tuesday evening when everything is back up.

Also on a side note we opted to have the damaged HD connected to our server together with the new one. We are going to try to acces the HD (since the OS does not have to boot from it its possible we could just acces it) and transfer any files from it we can acces. But, we have no idea how much damage there is at this moment so no guarantees all files will be able to be transfered (if any at all).

Edited by Guest
fixed typo

As Fox already said on another topic, the server is back online, so we can start working on. It should take 1 or 2 days more to get a fully working site.

BTW, the message you can see while accessing to the site is normal in the immediate.

ps : we'll keep you informed in this topic and only this topic.

To anyone visiting Armaholic now.........as you see there is a different message. :yay:

The Armaholic user is now created on the server.

We are now trying to copy the files from the old damaged disk to the new one. Lets hope the files are still good to go.

Fox, Tom, and everyone else involved with Armaholic, Thank you guys for all your hard work and dedication. Your site is one of the keystones to making modding and playing the ArmA series so much fun. If there is anything i can do to help you guys anytime (webspace, bandwidth, database space, mirroring, moderating, ect ect) just drop me a pm and i will do it. once again thanks for everything and i wish you the best of luck getting your outstanding site back up and running.

Good news!!

We have the website up and running again, and the best is........with the full and up to date DB and with all files! Except one weapon addon which was corrupted we have it all back. :yay:

However, we still need more things to do before we can open the site so for now its on maintenance mode. Tomorrow evening we continue the work.

Any beers can be sent to Sunraa, he did all the work to get the data back and working so far and will continue to do so until all is done! :cool:

webgeneral_4.png

Since Saturday morning our site has been offline. At first it was a scheduled downtime however our server failed to come back to life when it was booted due to a damaged harddrive. This caused a lot of troubles and everything had to be installed again on a new drive.

We had to move all our files and databases from the damaged drive to the new one. We are very lucky this was actually still possible otherwise we would have lost a lot of files and content, but thanks to our admin Sunraa everything is available "as if nothing happened"!!

This was a major happening regarding the work caused and we all should really be thankful to Sunraa who spend so many hours getting things back. He did not sleep much to get it all done as soon as possible.

Still more work has to be done but it was most important to get Armaholic up and running again. Please, do not hesitate to drop Sunraa a comment to thank him for the work, I can't thank him enough so I hope you will all help me with that by leaving your feedback! In addition I will ship him a crate of beer + some extra!

Now, onto the other results of the harddrive crash:

• Everyone who's site is hosted on the .com server should not have to worry that much anymore, it seems like we are able to retrieve all old data (including the databases) so your accounts should be up and running soon as well. Please understand we have to do all this in our spare time so give us this week to get all things done. Sorry for the troubles this crashed caused.
  • We were able to retrieve all the files from the old harddrive but we can not guarantee there were no files corrupted at all. So, please be so kind to report any failing downloadlinks and/or corrupted files in this topic, we appreciate the help.
  • Due to the downtime we were not able to add any new releases and other news from the past days, I kept a list so we will try to catch up as soon as we can but please give us time to get it all done.

I guess this is it for now, we are happy to be back to the community and I would like to thank all of you who showed your support by your messages offering any kind of help and/or just the supportive comments. This shows us how great this community is, support goes both ways, you showed us! Thanks people.

And I can not repeat it enough, thank you Sunraa for fixing all this! Without you this community would probably have lost one of those great community websites supporting BIS and its community.

Armaholic staff.

I cleaned this thread up because most of the replies here (like "Can't wait", "When it will be up" or "can't live without armaholic") are really useless and don't help to clear things.

There is an Armaholic social group where you can join and fill with comments if you really need to.

I notice the Armatech website isn't back yet. It's a great, if not bang-up-to-date resource. Any idea when that'll be back?

Thanks for reporting, no ETA, just: ASAP :)

We've still some troubles with some sites but nothing dramatic, all data are intact, so, no worry, all sites will be back soon.

Ok, all sites should now again be up and running how they were. If anyone is missing something please contact us ASAP. I am going to ask the host to remove the old damaged drive and it will be detroyed. So, if you miss any data let us know or loose it forever :)

So, if you had any accounts or what not on the .com server and yours has not been restored completely yet let us know!!

Note to redhammer.su

- the redhammer issue reported will be fixed of course, no need to report again :)

Sunday morning around 03:00 CET (that is 01:00 GMT and 02:00 BST) the armaholic server will be down and unreachable for approx 10 minutes. Our host will disconnect the old and damaged hard drive.

Prey, prey and prey our new disk will survive this shutdown. :bounce3:

At least my backups are now up to date :eek:

Tried to connect to Armaholic several times in the last 30 min. I'm unable to connect. Is Armaholic down or is that only something I experience?

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks

kind regards

Tried to connect to Armaholic several times in the last 30 min. I'm unable to connect. Is Armaholic down or is that only something I experience?

Thanks

kind regards

I haven't been able to connect to it for like a week. All browsers tried. A friend of mine in another state can connect just fine. (Not that it should matter)

Anyone know whats going on? Been using the site for awhile now with no problems, but now suddenly I can't get on there.

Just get a connection time out error!

Thanks

kind regards

I'm having this problem, started a few days ago. Tried on all browsers, etc.