Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

ToraBora Afghan. Mountain map (OA)

Hello all,

I've started working on a second map called ToraBora for Operation Arrowhead. It's a 10kmx10km Afghanistan mountain map with altitututes ranging from aprox 2000 to 2750m.

The base of the map is the heightmap of my previous project Aiaktalik, altough reworked, tweaked and modified. The overall height of the map is reduced and roughened up. Also the sat map is completely redone to suit the Takistan textures i've used from OA. Furthermore all objects used so far are all from OA aswell, rocks, trees, bushes etc. This time i will add a few trails / dirtroads and some other human created elements like a FOB, some Mujahideen fortifications in the mountains and a few quala's. It will however remain outback terrain, so dont expect real cities and villages etc...

Here are some pics of the map:

ToraBora1.jpg

ToraBora2.jpg

ToraBora3.jpg

The pics are take with a viewdistance of 10km, the mountain ridges in the back are aprox 3km away.

Edited by Chill xl
Images > 100 kb

Tnx.

There will be less rocks for sure, it will remain a rocky mountain area though... The rocks are already mostly done and are far better positioned then Aiaktalik. The open areas will be more open and you will see alot less rocks and boulders there. The whole terrain has way more "micro" hills, so the need for rocks etc to provide cover is less needed.

Im guessing the other topic is an accidental duplicate! This looks very nice though!

Will there be any tunnels/caves like the real Torra Bora cave system in Afghanistan?

Looks nice! the satellite-map probably needs to be a bit darker or more grassy (or both) around the trees though (and more details overallt), but yes, very nice! excellent hightmap and everything!

Edited by McNools

Wow, perfect ambush terrain. Should make for some scary hunting. You know, as in the cat can easily become the mouse if not careful. ;)

Love it!

Could use more grass though! Looks way too sandy for mountain area.

Looks epic, any plans on some greener areas of the map? Like fields and lush areas in the land between mountains?

Like fields and lush areas in the land between mountains?

This

Thats exactly what I was thinking

very nice! this is based of the real "Tora-Bora" or is suppost to simulate that area? meaning did u use a real satmap of the "Tora-Bora" terrain? or did you make it your self?

either way it looks good!

it'll be nice to see this, and the northern takistan map released. good work!

Any chance of seeing some snow on the higher areas? With the new snow particle fx system I reckon it would fit in nicley.

th_takistan.jpg

This is one of my favorite spots on takistan and I have a feeling its the kind of terrain you are trying to replicate. Unfortunatly its area on the map is very small and right on the edge of theisland so its not very usable but if you would like to check it out as a bit of inspiration its grid referance is 010 071. The ground has a nice dirt and rock texture which I think would fit in perfectly on your island. Also the smaller bushes and patches of grass populating the area makes it a lot harder to spot enemy units.

Either way I really appreciate the effort you island makers go to and I'm sure I will use it how ever it turns out.

Snow on the top of the highest mountains would be awesome, esspecially since most A-Stan maps are pure desert.

Are you planning on adding some dirt paths/roads and passes on the edges of some mountains for more variety and combat oportunities? I've also seen in real pics of A-Stan multiple levels of tiers to some shorter mountains with opium/poppy fields and farms which could make 'Capture the Hill' type missions have more scenery than a flat mountain surface.

Edited by Devil Dogs SF

Snow on the top of the highest mountains would be awesome, esspecially since most A-Stan maps are pure desert.

Are you planning on adding some dirt paths/roads and passes on the edges of some mountains for more variety and combat oportunities? I've also seen in real pics of A-Stan multiple levels of tiers to some shorter mountains with opium/poppy fields and farms which could make 'Capture the Hill' type missions have more scenery that a flat mountain surface.

Everything he said.

Snow on mountain tops, paths, poppy fields...All would add a great level of immersion into this map.

I like it :). I enjoy missions on Aiktalik, so i will definitly look forward for this one :)

As long as there are Roads and Paths, there can still be a lot of stones. Realy like the oppertunity for some cover in the open grounds.

Would it be possible to get a location with enough space to build a little custom Airbase? There was an ideal spot in the South East on Aiktalik, but the Airstrip wasnt level enough and there were just to many rocks around :rolleyes:

Either way, it will be awesome, thanks :yay:

Wow new nice map i like aiktalik also.

But pls make this time some grass and some little villages.´Only mountains become fast boring

yeah, that already super aitalik was superb, apart from too many rocks, tearing everything goes TORO BORA

can you make levels like this below

Tnx for all the great feedback, some excellent ideas! Am already working on some of them...

The terrain in the video shows more or less what i'm after, altough im not sure if i will go into creating all those terasses. The grass and such is already being incorporated atm.

Any chance of seeing some snow on the higher areas? With the new snow particle fx system I reckon it would fit in nicley.

th_takistan.jpg

This is one of my favorite spots on takistan and I have a feeling its the kind of terrain you are trying to replicate. Unfortunatly its area on the map is very small and right on the edge of theisland so its not very usable but if you would like to check it out as a bit of inspiration its grid referance is 010 071. The ground has a nice dirt and rock texture which I think would fit in perfectly on your island. Also the smaller bushes and patches of grass populating the area makes it a lot harder to spot enemy units.

Either way I really appreciate the effort you island makers go to and I'm sure I will use it how ever it turns out.

I can't agree with this enough. This is perfect fire fight terrain.