Sign in to follow this  
mic1402

missing textures

hi, i've been trying to make a test island but i have encountered a problem.

some of the buildings and all the roads show up white in bulldozer and are not see-able in arma 2. how do I fix this?

Do you have a message that appears at the launch of Buldozer?

Did you put the addons in P-> ca?

Which buildings and roads?

White Roads?? Only one thing i can think of there. After installing BI-Tools 2 which makes your P: Drive you have some preinstalled stuff like roads2. However these roads do not work! You have to go into your arma2 folder and search for roads2.pbo. Take this and unpbo it. After that copy it over to the right folders and overwrite everything in it. Example: P:\CA\Roads2

Maybe that was it. But i dont know what could be the problem with buildings. Do you use standard arma2 buildings or do you want to use custom buildings?

im using standard arma 2 buildings. could it be because i've mapped the working drive to z: instead of p:?

you remapped it??? as far as i know you should never ever do this! remap it to p: please that should fix it :)

Hi guys...

A couple of points...

White anything in Visitor means missing textures... white buildings means that the buildings/buildings2 pbo hasn't been completely unpacked, or somehow the data folder with the textures is missing - something like that anyway... white buildings = improperly unpacked and assembled P:\CA in some way...

Read this post for a brief general explanation, plus a link to Alliex's "Setting Up P:\CA Tutorial" - which you might find helpful...

Roads are slightly different... In order for them to work with Visitors internal Road Network tool, the road models have to be unbinarized MLOD models - with "memory points" so they snap together... These special road models are supplied and installed along with Visitor - they're the readymade "Roads2" folder you get... You NEED these models for the road network tool to function properly - BUT... all you get with the Visitor install is the MODELS - no TEXTURES... so the roads appear white... you can fix this by unpacking the Roads2 pbo like Commander says - but DON'T overwrite EVERYTHING - just drag over the "Data" folder with the textures - DON'T overwrite the .p3d models or you lose the special unlocked memory point ones and the Road Network tool won't work properly...

Searching this forum section for "Roads" should bring up the two or three big thread discussions theres already been on this topic... like This One

One thing you'll see mentioned but might not find easily tho is Aliex's Roads Tutorial, which explains all of this pretty well... Allie gave away his project & vanished a while back and a lot of his links are broken - I've kept the Roads tut afloat in my download bucket - so you can get it HERE

Read that thoroughly... you might need to do a tools reinstall to get the MLOD road models back if you've overwritten them... other than that Allie explains the whole setting up procedure pretty well...

As far as remapping P:\ is concerned - technically that shouldn't be an issue... but you know what BIS tools are like - they all do their job just fine, but they're totally unforgiving - theres no safety net... if it doesn't like something it'll simply fail without much explanation, even over something as simple as one missing "\" in a path... Not designed for beginners - that's OK - nobody stays a beginner for long ;)

Unless you have a pressing reason for remapping I'd leave everything absolutely default in all areas...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

you can fix this by unpacking the Roads2 pbo like Commander says - but DON'T overwrite EVERYTHING - just drag over the "Data" folder with the textures - DON'T overwrite the .p3d models or you lose the special unlocked memory point ones and the Road Network tool won't work properly...

B

Oh really??? Overwriting worked fine for me.... Or do you mean something like snaping one road-network onto a nother like for example road1 to road2_specialpart??

Anyways im getting offtopic.. just listen to bushlurker he knows far more then me, thank you again for helping me bush... damn "\" :P

@bushlurker thanks! that was the problem. roads 2 only contained p3ds and one the buildings that didn't work (house ruins) had no data folder.

edit: wait thats odd, in buildings 2.pbo house ruins has no data folder?

edit2: also, how do you make grass? the forest tool doesn't work very well.

Edited by mic1402

I'm guessing you haven't done Sgt Ace's Tutorial...

The forest tool doesn't work at all - or at least it's just a legacy item left over from Operation Flashpoint days... you won't be happy with the results...

You really should do the tutorial - the whole thing start to finish - whether you think you need to or not - it introduces a few key concepts - like how grass and clutter is made, satellite layers... all the basics... At the end you'll not only have a grasp of the basics required to make your own terrain, but also some ready made files defining surfaces, clutter, groundtexture layers... you can adapt these for use on your own project and since you'll have used them all before - you'll understand what they all do...

Seriously... it's well worth taking an evening off to do the tutorial - you'll bypass the entire "how do I make grass" level questions stage entirely...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

that's the tut i followed! it just says how to set-up visitor, im using that island to test on. the tut has nothing about grass and clutter.

Theres grass on the island tho when you test it...

Take a closer look at the files...

The tutorial basically uses a single surface definition - everything gets grass... normally you'd use more, of course... You assign each surface type a colour - these appear on the Mask_lco bitmap - they're defined in the Layers.cfg, along with the closeup ground texture for each... The actual mixes of different grass and clutter models are defined in the Clutter.cfg, and the Surfaces.cfg defines which groundtexture gets which clutter mixes... The main config.cpp file pulls it all together and defines other stuff as well...

A good idea at this stage is to look at a more complex example... theres been a few demo terrains released... HERE's one of mine... it was just a demo of some Falklands Islands heightmap data, but it has working 3-way sand/grass/rock surface definitions with a Mask_lco file to match, plus appropriate clutter and layer files, groundtextures, rvmats, etc... looking over a few examples like these should give you a good idea of how more complex terrains are defined...

Searching in this Forum section is a good idea too - keywords like "clutter", "mask", "satellite", etc will produce plenty of info... Essentially, you're going to be making a "Mask_lco" of your own - so search for any and all info on that - plus take a look at the Falklands one... If you really can't find the info you need by searching this section - ask here - usually someone will be along to help...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

ARRGH. sorry! it was my fault!:o the grass works, I've just been playing arma 2 with very low terrain detail lately. *facepalm*