Sign in to follow this  
Honeycutt

suggest joystick for ARMA2

Can anybody suggest a good combo flightstick for ARMA2?

I have a Logitech Wingman 3D but it just doesn't work with ARMA2 (and prob AO). When I say combo I mean collective/cyclic/rudder (or yoke, throttle, rudder [plane talk]) on one stick.

ps. can't wait to fly helos in VTE

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Honeycutt

ArmA supports multiple controllers. For me that works better than trying to compromise with a combo. CH Products fighterstick, rudder pedals do very well in this simulation. If a few more bucks landed in my lap I'd look at getting one of their MFD panels too - never can have enough buttons... :colgate:

Anyway, a good set of rudder pedals makes flying helos a joy. The only thing that'd make VTE even better would be if you could fire small arms out the side doors of the huey.

And yeah - tabasco does make C-rats and MREs much better.

Edited by Evil_Echo

I know what you mean. Separate devices would be the best but I don't have the space for all that (or justify the money for it).

In all other games my current joystick works fine. Flying helos in OFP VTE was beautiful.

I never go into the field without tabasco sauce. Just as important as ammo.

Rgr on space/money.

I'd think the Logitech would work for this. Does it detect the controller at all, have you fiddled with the sim bindings to axis yet/much?

my current stick (logitech wingman 3d) is a pain to map in settings, keeps double binding, too sensitive to X/Y touch (keeps mapping when I don't want it to). And when I finally mapped what I thought was OK it was basically unflyable - kept fighting controls - impossible.

Anyway since that I can't even map it right - so no point. I am running Win7 64, perhaps just ain't compatiple with ARMA2. Some guy in oz had similiar probs with the same joystick. I think as long as i get a stick thats of decent brand and "modern" should be OK. But I wanted to ask as there is a lot out there.

Just looked at CH products their basic stick sounds pretty good (looks aint to hot though) - also expensive - explains why "Pros" would go for this.

Pro - not really. But do fly a lot on selected sims. Have logged 900+ hours on the PMDG 737-800.

CH Products handles well, feels good, has solid support. Never have worry about losing calibration. And it's programmable - handy if you don't like the default response curve for a game. Never had any trouble with their controllers on XP, Vista or Win7 64.

Saitek is the only other brand I'd look at. To me ( opinion ) Logitech handles ok, but their products do not hold up well. If I'm going to spend money I'll spend it once on the good stuff.

But that's just me. One of my clan mates flies helos using a trackball. Can't figure out how he manages, but can't deny he's darn good with it.

Edited by Evil_Echo

copy that Saitek recommended. Once had a saitek stick pretty good except it used the old game port connection.

Going back to your earlier post flying hueys with door guns blazing would be awesome. Never really got to fly the LOH much in OFP VTE but when it flew oh man so fast. Somehow I like the fact that vietnam era helos don't have such precise aiming systems unlike now.

my current stick (logitech wingman 3d) is a pain to map in settings, keeps double binding, too sensitive to X/Y touch (keeps mapping when I don't want it to). And when I finally mapped what I thought was OK it was basically unflyable - kept fighting controls - impossible.

Anyway since that I can't even map it right - so no point. I am running Win7 64, perhaps just ain't compatiple with ARMA2. Some guy in oz had similiar probs with the same joystick. I think as long as i get a stick thats of decent brand and "modern" should be OK. But I wanted to ask as there is a lot out there.

Just looked at CH products their basic stick sounds pretty good (looks aint to hot though) - also expensive - explains why "Pros" would go for this.

My Saitek X52 does the same thing. You might have to adjust the deadzone a little.

I've had some issues with Saitek stick. I had to use the driver that ships with Windows because I had calibration issues with the "updated" driver some Saitek.

Also, after while I had to take the stick a part to clean the pot for the rudder control (twist action on the stick). Thanks to guy on youtube who made a video on how to do it.

Going back to your earlier post flying hueys with door guns blazing would be awesome. Never really got to fly the LOH much in OFP VTE but when it flew oh man so fast. Somehow I like the fact that vietnam era helos don't have such precise aiming systems unlike now.

Clever veterans always found a way to improvise. Grease pencil marks on the windscreen to aid in aiming, modified weapons, crazy techniques, etc. I loved the crazy-like-a-fox types, they'd find a way to save your keister when no one else would.

rAh9UxHkPnE

I've got the Saitek X52 Pro and very happy with it.

Had the normal X52 before. The Pro version seems the same but with coloured lights and supposed better build quality.

I'm using Saitek Cyborg X. Cheap and does the job well, flying choopers is awesome. Annoying leds though.

5435_Saitek_Cyborg_X_Joystick_USB_Gaming_Controller_-_PS38_xl.jpg

XBOX 360 controller. Best helo control for me. I had a fancy joystick but was a pain getting the helo to behave. With the controller, I can spin on a dime so easily (set triggers for pedals) and there are 2 analog joysticks for precision control of your helo.

Here is a link that may help you if you want to try it.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=104434

FYI, if you have a wired xbox 360 controller for your console, you can plug it in to your PC via USB. There may need to be a driver updated or installed to help. But if you have Windows 7, I think it's virtually pain-free.

I own an X52, but I don't use it for Arma as the Xbox 360 controller is better. If Arma had better flight models and not a "fly by wire" kind of feel then I would take advantage of the x52. Arcade style flying does not deserve the grace of the mighty x52 :)

My xbox controls are also posted in the thread kite linked to by chance.

29407_179x179x55a87c5b70.jpg

I have this one and like it: a Cytek Cyborg Evo Force.

I use that one too but I like the look of the X one above as the throttle is in the wrong place for me on the Evo. Will check out the X maybe as a replacement.

I got the Saitek x52 Pro here with the rudder pedals. They're awesome!

Too bad that after about 2 years, the potentiometers on the twist grip and the rotary axes have become unresponsive... it might be time to switch them out...

Other than that, I have no complaints... it's a really great stick for it's price...

Cheers

I use the Saitek x52 and I love it. I use my Momo steering wheel pedals for the rudder lol. It does the job until I can get the real pedals. Plus I use the MOMO to drive all the land vehicles anyways.

I got the Saitek x52 Pro here with the rudder pedals. They're awesome!

Too bad that after about 2 years, the potentiometers on the twist grip and the rotary axes have become unresponsive... it might be time to switch them out...

Other than that, I have no complaints... it's a really great stick for it's price...

Cheers

I had the same problem, fixed it by cleaning the existing pot. A guy on youtube posted on how to take the stick apart to clean it. Make sure you use Tuner Cleaner.

I've got the Saitek X52 Pro and very happy with it.

Had the normal X52 before. The Pro version seems the same but with coloured lights and supposed better build quality.

The better build quality makes a real differencem, the springs are stiffer what is better for a flightstick...but...the aluminium centering cone on the stick needs some lubrication after a while, I tryed all types and a drop of Mo²S lubricant once a month works best for me. Edited by Ulanthorn

I had the same problem, fixed it by cleaning the existing pot. A guy on youtube posted on how to take the stick apart to clean it. Make sure you use Tuner Cleaner.

damn, wish I knew that before i snapped my X52 stick at the base trying to "twist the axis back to neutral" I thought that it had gotten loose or something.

But yeah, I broke the stick off the base doing that. I have a logitech extreme 3d Pro and I am quite happy with it. I just had an idea pop into my head to use my X52 throttle with my logitech stick in the arma game... Gonna try that out and see how that works :)

Thought this thread and took its course and died (natural death of course). Still live and kicking I see.

I bought a Saitek x45 from ebay before. I know its not the latest model and 2nd hand but lets wait and see. I did consider the Saitek Cyborg which has been suggested a few posts back. Might still be on the table if the x45 doesn't work out.

Also i have tried a gamepad with 2 analog sticks which I have used succesfully with Grid. The thing is the sticks movement range is limited and as we know helicopter control needs a gentle touch - could not get it to work the way I wanted in ARMA2 - plus how the hell are you supposed to fly with a gamepad!