Sign in to follow this  
IrishDeviant

New Aircraft Addons: Vote for your favorite!

Vote for which you'd like to see in Arma II first:  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for which you'd like to see in Arma II first:

• A-10C Thunderbolt II (BIS Replacement, Improved model and scripting)
    • F-35 Lightning II (BIS Replacement, Improved model and scripting)
    • F-22 Raptor
    • EA-6B Prowler
    • B-1B Lancer

I voted for the EA-6B. I would like to see it on JDog's USS Nimitz alongside the already existing F14.

Tino

Voted for the prowler because I want more naval warfare and that it would bring a whole new feel to the game, and because I want the game to extend more in quantity at this point, I feel like the game fails to expand on different types of warfare, to me the aircraft of ArmA are more than the loadout it carries.

that it would over-power the relatively small game world of A2

Shucks, no SR-71 for me.

Anyway, this thread makes me a happy camper, way to go! :yay:

I voted A10. Prowler isn't all that heavily armed so it wouldn't be of much use. There aren't any cable cars in the mountains of ARMA.

The EA-6B Prowler is an "Electronic Warfare" aircraft. It is capable of carrying the AGM-45 Shrike and it's successor the AGM-88 HARM (both are Anti-Radiation AG Missiles), and it uses these missiles to take out SAM installations and Surface to Air mobile targets. However, it's primary role is that of a Command-and-Control Forward Observer. It's like an FAC in the air. Much like the AWACS to a degree, but with higher speed capabilities, and the ability to strike targets on it's own. It really will be a valuable asset to have in any mission which requires air craft.

The Prowler is also capable of jamming enemy radar (such as from a Tunguska or a SAM site), and is able to relay positions of those radar installations to strike aircraft (like the F/A-18 or A-10, etc), or is able to engage those targets itself. In Arma II, this could be represented by simply adding a 'persistent lock' to those ground targets so that strike aircraft pilots can easily identify their location. Obviously much discussion will go on with the scripters that I work with to fine tune it's abilities into something that is not only realistic, but also gameplay friendly. But, you get the idea. The Prowler is a support aircraft to other aircraft. Not a heavily armed 'Army of One' type aircraft. War is a team sport, and the Prowler is the Quarterback. (For those outside the US, the quarterback passes the ball off to others to score the point, and sometimes runs the ball in himself)... Analogies just aren't as fun when you have to explain them. lol

Edited by IrishDeviant

Well, it would seem that the Prowler has the most support, so the Prowler it is. (Understandably, the poll has only been up a day or so. But, I'm bored and want to get started. lol) However, it will be a couple weeks before I'll have any meaningful progress to report.

I started this page here for everyone to follow the progress.

The EA-6B Prowler is an "Electronic Warfare" aircraft. It is capable of carrying the AGM-45 Shrike and it's successor the AGM-88 HARM (both are Anti-Radiation AG Missiles), and it uses these missiles to take out SAM installations and Surface to Air mobile targets. However, it's primary role is that of a Command-and-Control Forward Observer. It's like an FAC in the air. Much like the AWACS to a degree, but with higher speed capabilities, and the ability to strike targets on it's own. It really will be a valuable asset to have in any mission which requires air craft.

The Prowler is also capable of jamming enemy radar (such as from a Tunguska or a SAM site), and is able to relay positions of those radar installations to strike aircraft (like the F/A-18 or A-10, etc), or is able to engage those targets itself. In Arma II, this could be represented by simply adding a 'persistent lock' to those ground targets so that strike aircraft pilots can easily identify their location. Obviously much discussion will go on with the scripters that I work with to fine tune it's abilities into something that is not only realistic, but also gameplay friendly. But, you get the idea. The Prowler is a support aircraft to other aircraft. Not a heavily armed 'Army of One' type aircraft. War is a team sport, and the Prowler is the Quarterback. (For those outside the US, the quarterback passes the ball off to others to score the point, and sometimes runs the ball in himself)... Analogies just aren't as fun when you have to explain them. lol

I'm aware of its role. If you can duplicate it I'm all for it, otherwise it'll still be fun to cruise around in.

We DEFINITLY need a SA-2 SAM. Man, I did one for Operation Flaspoint, and could probably port it to ArmA 2, but I have abolsutly no idea about RVMAT etc. and so it would look ugly as hell.

EF-111 Raven! its a niiiiceeee Bomber/reconnaissance-plane/strategic strike aircraft with a unique ejection system :-)

Wouldn't a EA-18G Growler make more sense as that's the plane that's going to replace the Prowler in the near future..

Not saying an EA-6 wouldn't be cool ;)

^ stick with the A6, I want to see something different. I miss the aircraft carrier decks from when I was growing up in the 80's, with eight or ten different planes. Now it's just two dozen F18's.