Sign in to follow this  
bracer

Emita City

I would like to see 2 versions, a Pre-War and a Mid/After-War version like it is now. If that's not possible, keep it how it looks now, a war torn city.

Alright! Sounds wonderful! Glad to be of assistance to your project. Do you have a map to show us how big the city will be?

Well, I'm honestly not sure how big it will be yet, it all depends on the performance.

I could choose to use those blocky buildings without interiors and make it endlessly big,

but my intention is to make alot of variation in the city and make sure there's plenty of hiding places and interiors.

This costs performance though. So we'll see...

I guess the important question is how big it should be upon beta-release?

I'm currently aiming for 3x2km urban area, I think that's approx twice the size of Zargabad city.

Then depending on the feedback I get i might make it bigger or smaller...

The ultimate goal is of course to fill out the whole 5x5km terrain with urban area! :bounce3:

So maybe 3x3km detailed city and the rest I fill out with purerly textured blocky houses?

A totally different discussion is how big the surronding area should be,

like forests, smaller towns, farms, mountains or open areas for base building? What's needed? Is it needed?

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

I would like to see 2 versions, a Pre-War and a Mid/After-War version like it is now. If that's not possible, keep it how it looks now, a war torn city.

Yeah, I'm still thinking about how I should do it.

My latest thought is to keep the destroyed urban areas somewhat seperated from the main city, like a suburb or in the outskirts...

Two versions would be cool though, one totally clean and one that's really messed up!

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Lookin' good!

Thanks mate!

Edited by bracer

Looking great!

I would say that some surrounding countryside outside of the suburbs would be nice. Gives the possibility for mission makers to have their forces on the outskirts, looking at a sprawling city skyline, and think "how the %^& am I going to clear out this place"

Performance is always a factor. I have a decent machine and Zargabad chugs when I have a big mission playing. I like some enterable buildings, but most of the time I just want to get to the roof to snipe. I'd say one or two of those kinds of buildings mixed with blocky performance friendly buildings is good.

As to a pristine and war torn version, I think it may be good to have a small section (10-20% of the entire city) to be war torn. Mission makers that want that war torn feel can build around there, and the rest of the city remains a pristine canvas for mission makers. Just my 2 cents.

You should make the city vibrant and varied, like one side is the suburbs for all the rich and well-off people, then there's a middle class neighborhood, filled with less expensive homes and virtually no parks. And then you have the ghettos, with run down apartments, lots of chain fences, poorly kept streets, maybe you can add the war-torn part of the city somewhere inside of here.

And then you have the financial district, where people from all walks of life come to work in a labyrinth of various businesses and enterprises, filled tall skyscrapers, dark alleyways (perfect for an insurgency *wink**wink*).

And of course the tourists' destination. Every major city has one. San Francisco has Fisherman's Wharf, Seattle has Belltown. This should have at least 1 famous landmark, a lot of shops and probably a pier over the city's ocean, if it has one.

And, of course, the University District. Drawing influences from Seattle's own UD, yours should have nightclubs, bars, a soccer stadium, a lot of bus stops, small apartments, and a lot of restaurants.

And, finally, you should have an industrial part of town, one where you can find hundreds of cargo containers, docks, and smoke stacks. Maybe you can somehow install the Chernarussian Electrical Grid somewhere in here.

Well, that's all I've got for now.

P.S. I'm not good at modding or texturing, but if you need help in any other way, I'd be glad to pony up my services.

Have you personally played the Baghdad or Fallujah city maps and seen the SCALE of them? I would love to have a western style city on that size.

I really have no idea how mapping for arma 2 is since I'm used to the SDK with Valve's source games like half life 2 and so forth, but I would first make the city, with just about all un-enterable buildings for the alpha/beta, just to get a feel, then gradually replace with more complex, enterable buildings and see how performance goes.

Also sanders has some good stuff right there.

Have you personally played the Baghdad or Fallujah city maps and seen the SCALE of them? I would love to have a western style city on that size.

I really have no idea how mapping for arma 2 is since I'm used to the SDK with Valve's source games like half life 2 and so forth, but I would first make the city, with just about all un-enterable buildings for the alpha/beta, just to get a feel, then gradually replace with more complex, enterable buildings and see how performance goes.

Also sanders has some good stuff right there.

Yes, I have tried both of the maps and like them alot, they're enormous.

The reason I started this project is as you say, it would be nice to see a western style city that size.

But my first priority is still to make each single streetcorner lifelike and interesting to have a fight in, by placing many open buildings, nice backyards and alleys.

So I build it one street at a time, making sure it has a purpose and doesn't look random.

Size is secondary, so instead of deciding a size already,

I will gradually increase the size after alpha/beta.

Emita's urban area is bigger than Zargabad's already.

And performance is still very much acceptable, smoother than Zargabad.

I agree, @WeaponsFree.

@jsanders, thanks for the tips! I'm trying hard to make the districts feel different.

Feel free to PM me some links or photos if you have ideas,

but keep in mind that all I have to work with is the Arma 1/2 buildings.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Helps alot.

Cheers

Yeah, how is progress? If you need a beta tester let me know as well..

Hey guys!

Progress is going well!

I'm learning how to make my own objects and how to customize the Arma1 objects, so that has taken some time.

But the map is still growing!

I'll try to provide some screenshots later tonight of some new stuff.

A small teaser of the suburbs and a warehouse:

n579LMQb7bg

Still missing some details, like street lamps.

The interiors look nice and flexible from what we saw in the vid...I think it's nice to know that you are making this city and seem to love using the Undead mod so you are probably making the island very good for zombie missions.

Yeah, the zombies are doing a good job stalking the player through buildings and tight alleys, so it's hopefully gonna be a good map for that. I might add the mission I use where you begin at dawn and have to search the city for guns and flashlight before it gets too dark. Scary stuff.

Anyway, infantry works well on the map.

AI vehicles on the otherhand, they have a hard time driving properly around some parts of the town.

The warehouse is still on an experimental stage.

Thanks for the comments dudes!

@Giorgy: Have you checked the other clips named "City project" on my Youtube channel?

But those videos are alittle outdated since alot have chaged,

so I guess I should post a major update here soon with a new proper video!

This is perfect and is exsactly what I have been looking for, for a while now :)

To be honest: I can hardly wait to see new videoclips of your splendid city. Please do keep it up, and fill the map as you wish it to be yourself! Afterall you're the creator, thus being the "city mayor". :)

Hm a mayor's building. Like a capitol building where one could have a huge last stand against a zombie apocalypse.

Here is some new photos overlooking the city.

Some of the areas are still under development, so it's due to change...

Ignore the satmap.... Need to make one from scratch.

Overview from the southwest:

19309770.th.jpg

Overview from the east:

35827480.th.jpg

Overview from the northeast:

51394733.th.jpg

The harbour:

19310415.th.jpg

Airfield in the city:

51016595.th.jpg

Some more....

Overview from the southeast: