Sign in to follow this  
Hellhound

"Zeroing" Temperature on the TWS scopes

Hi there, i was playing in the editor and noticed that you can't see anything through the TWS scopes at winter, so i was thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to "Zero/adjust" the temperature so you can still see the surroundings in winter, just like you would with the range. It's probably not very realistic (not sure how they work in real life), but seems like a nice feature to have, so what do you guys think about it?

Only if it exists as such in real life, I wouldn't know. Making stuff easier for the sake of making it easier isn't my idea of a good simulation. During cold weather I would expect a great amount of contrast between the highs and the lows, neutralizing the contrast in the edges of the spectrum. I think they (and in particular the NVGs) are still too powerful compared to (what I expect from) the real world counterparts.

I think that the terrain should be hotter and have more contrast all year 'round. People shouldn't be easy to see in the noon day sun in the desert... they would be colder than the sand and the pavement and stuff.

I think that the terrain should be hotter and have more contrast all year 'round. People shouldn't be easy to see in the noon day sun in the desert... they would be colder than the sand and the pavement and stuff.
The air is warmer than the ground most of the time in winter. This is true also for high elevated deserts at night. The middle east knows a lot of cold weather. Back from my days in Leopard II I dont know about "FLIR calibration" other than contrast and brighness of ther display itself...FLIR is somewhat absolute..it can only show what it sees...if it cant see it can't show you. A cold rock on a cold place is invisible...FLIR is no all round wonder Instrument and definitely no a all seeing eye. You still need MKII eyeballs to detect and declare a TI target...since FLIR does not show "the colours" and it can't look thru transparent objects like glass etc.

Most bad friendly or false fire incidents in the last decade happened because of weapons operators depending on FLIR or CCD TV only.

The higher resolution of simple lensatic optics it more and more missed in modern combat systems depending on CCD TV exactly because of this reason...a good simple lens can be better at least in daylight because it has no restriction in colours or resolution.

The air is warmer than the ground most of the time in winter. This is true also for high elevated deserts at night. The middle east knows a lot of cold weather. Back from my days in Leopard II I dont know about "FLIR calibration" other than contrast and brighness of ther display itself...FLIR is somewhat absolute..it can only show what it sees...if it cant see it can't show you. A cold rock on a cold place is invisible...FLIR is no all round wonder Instrument and definitely no a all seeing eye. You still need MKII eyeballs to detect and declare a TI target...since FLIR does not show "the colours" and it can't look thru transparent objects like glass etc.

Most bad friendly or false fire incidents in the last decade happened because of weapons operators depending on FLIR or CCD TV only.

The higher resolution of simple lensatic optics it more and more missed in modern combat systems depending on CCD TV exactly because of this reason...a good simple lens can be better at least in daylight because it has no restriction in colours or resolution.

I think flir can look through some things that the eye can't see through. It has to do with the permeability of materials at different wavelengths. Glass I think is opaque, aluminum is reflective, and some plastics and stuff are transparent under certain TI wavelengths. That might be a little too much detail, though, I would be happy if the landscape in the summer was a little warmer.

Edited by Max Power

I really don't know what is going on with TI versus date. It sure doesn't look like variance in ambient temperatures, or the automatic contrast adjustments in TI view is messed up.

Observing background stuff only, on the desert map, using setDate [year,month,day,hour,minute]:

setDate [2000,12,8,12,0] gives a really dark display. 8th of december, mid day.

setDate [2000,12,9,12,0] gives a bright display. 9th of december, mid day.

Try running this and observe for a few minutes (in TI view):

qq = [] spawn {setAccTime 4; while{true} do {setDate[2000,1,floor time,12,0]; sleep 1}};

Something is out of whack, and I can not using the best of my will consider it an effect of ambient temperatures. Unless there are some random temperatures going. Unless a dev comes around and sheds some light on what is going on, I'm just going with "we have good TI days and we have bad TI days" :p

I really don't know what is going on with TI versus date. It sure doesn't look like variance in ambient temperatures, or the automatic contrast adjustments in TI view is messed up.

Observing background stuff only, on the desert map, using setDate [year,month,day,hour,minute]:

setDate [2000,12,8,12,0] gives a really dark display. 8th of december, mid day.

setDate [2000,12,9,12,0] gives a bright display. 9th of december, mid day.

Try running this and observe for a few minutes (in TI view):

qq = [] spawn {setAccTime 4; while{true} do {setDate[2000,1,floor time,12,0]; sleep 1}};

Something is out of whack, and I can not using the best of my will consider it an effect of ambient temperatures. Unless there are some random temperatures going. Unless a dev comes around and sheds some light on what is going on, I'm just going with "we have good TI days and we have bad TI days" :p

wow, i just tested this with the latest beta , and after say 1 min (with the acc. time init) the screen goes into a strobe-light effect , very weird. Even after using the TI the whole game is f**** up, i had to abort the mission to get back to the editor.

Be aware when testing this, because this is effectively what's causing an epileptic seizure to some people.

I use the direct setdate or the spawn, and I don't get any strobing. I did get the strobe once while messing with it, but I have no idea what I did to cause it. Frankly, I have never seen that happen before :D I don't think it's a bug, just something we did to confuse the game.

oke, i used them both :D but i noticed the clock was going crazy when it happened. I tested both dates and didn't see any difference in brightness, maybe you pressed n and had white hot and black hot mixed up.

Hmm, weird. I'll do some more checking. I was (in case it matters) on the desert map in an abrams tusk as commander.