Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

OFP? You mean this one? http://www.mechmodels.com/mas/screenshots/ah64_fltln1.jpg then nope that was ours. http://www.mechmodels.com/mas/downloads/manual/frames.htm Franze made the model/config and we split the texturing somewhat...brings back a lot of memories..but it's also partially the reason for this, we wanted to bring that back but as a 2.0, same features but with more depth and we're doing just that (The WPN page script file is actually larger than the whole config of the OFP apache!)

For example in OFP we had Dynamic arming with a full weapon per pylon, here we have extended dynamic arming where you load the pod or rail then select what missile or rocket type you wish to load, so we can mix and match rocket and missile types on the same pylon.

The excellent HWM apache was in Arma 1 http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=1721&game=0 I'm a bit sad to see it not get into Arma 2

The

*shudders* I'm still overly conscious of my voice in those.. we'll probably make more videos including a sort of audio blog but I'll talk to Franze about it to see what he is willing to show and what he feels needs more work before it can be shown.Truth be told I wasn't TOO keen on posting these pictures, I wanted to wait but after 2 months and no word I figured "yeah we're working on it, yep things are being done" ring hallow, it's not meant as a tease but more of a "I'm not bulshittin ya"

oh yeah that's right i make a mistake that's in arma 1 !

@PurePassion : yeah i notice this one but i think that's better with some texture (or a wip for them) in the video and a quick brief like the MFD one about the chopper

The D does look a bit strange without it after seeing it with it for so long, then again I didn't warm up to the D for the longest time, the lack of symmetry of the EFABS was very "Blugh" for the longest.

Hehe, I can understand that, although being ever so slightly nerdy about all things UK as I am, and the WAH-64 always sporting the Longbow radar (and on that note, can't wait/hope to see a British version ;) ), the other versions feel rather naked. That and I my first computer game was Apache Longbow for the Mac (along with Myst)... how times have changed.

Looks lovely, some stunning detail. What sort of texture panel sizes are you working with?

oh yeah that's right i make a mistake that's in arma 1 !

@PurePassion : yeah i notice this one but i think that's better with some texture (or a wip for them) in the video and a quick brief like the MFD one about the chopper

Welp I'll ask Franze about it, several pages are currently "done" but not refined which is why it's mostly been hush hus

What sort of texture panel sizes are you working with?

4096x4096, it was split between two 2048's at first until we decided to use the "multi camo" option (set up a mission where people can have different paint schemes without requiring one anothers addons) so for example Franze could have shark teeth on his, I could have a scorpion tail on mine and whoever else joins us can have their own. The body didn't work well with a single 2048 on it's own despite several attempts of re-arranging and due to the damage system and idea for future paint schemes, didn't want to mirror the body (for example if one engine is damaged we wouldn't want both showing damage).

So far we haven't experienced any performance impacts from the size, but we'll be releasing a downsized texture pack for those that may experience problems.

Using 4096's for my Foxhound, so good to hear you've not run into anything problematic with it. And yeah, best to avoid mirroring in the more obvious places, especially once it comes down to damage being done, then it just looks daft.

Keep it up!

NodUnit and France, love the work and the effort put into showing us all the detail of the bird. I personally like learning detailed and comprehensive things even if it is in a simulation type of game. Hope you keep up the great work.

I've got some mirrored stuff on my cobra and it's not too too bad. I haven't noticed anything truly bizarre going on with the damage textures. It also used 4096 maps.

I know that probably would increment the polycount, but maybe if you mirror , and then add some variations with insigna, or bullet hit, or wreck thing with a plane applyed on the mesh with an alpha channel would be the best. But all depends on the actual polycount model. Bad compromise, more resolution but more polycount too, or less resolution with less polycount.

I've got some mirrored stuff on my cobra and it's not too too bad. I haven't noticed anything truly bizarre going on with the damage textures. It also used 4096 maps.

It's mostly the more visually apparent mirroring that I've always tried to avoid... the case of the old school bullet holes in split windscreens, that were identical on each screen... etc.

The lack of mirror is a mix of damage and future planning for paint schemes such as http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig08/10084622t2.jpg

I know that probably would increment the polycount, but maybe if you mirror , and then add some variations with insigna, or bullet hit, or wreck thing with a plane applyed on the mesh with an alpha channel would be the best. But all depends on the actual polycount model. Bad compromise, more resolution but more polycount too, or less resolution with less polycount.

I can't say what methods will or won't be used, I do know that for the "retreat" and "you're screwed" level of damages will be using proxies.

We'll think about the video ..blog things.

Edited by NodUnit

God I can't wait for this! I assume it will be ready about the same time as ArmA 3?

God I can't wait for this! I assume it will be ready about the same time as ArmA 3?

Check back about 2-3 pages for info on release.

I have got to say that the AH Mk1 model you guys have put together is bloody amazing i've been working on AH MK1s for around 5 years now and have to say there is pretty much every sensor, antenna, lighting system installed and from what i saw of the pilots station you have for the AH-64D is pretty damn spot on for the AH MK1 aswell.

I just wanted to ask though about the TADS and PNVS installed to the aircraft as all british airframes now have the MTADS and MPNVS systems installed which for functionality in the game only changes a few things such as the exterior model and TEDAC installed in the CPGs station. The difference of the operation between MTADS and TADS ingame is pretty negligible.

Anyway congratulations on constructing an extremely close representation of the AH on just the initial mock up and i will be looking forward to how it evolves into a fully fledged member of either 4 Regt AAC or 3 Regt AAC.

Edited by John Doe
Bad Post Layout

For the AH.1/WAH-64 we will probably split that to two generations just like we have Block II and Block III, then reflect the equipment differences between the generations.

Got a quick video today showing the loadout menu and a brief overview of the WPN page:

For the AH.1/WAH-64 we will probably split that to two generations just like we have Block II and Block III, then reflect the equipment differences between the generations.

Got a quick video today showing the loadout menu and a brief overview of the WPN page:

Face-meltingly awesome, these video's just make me want it more and more :(

me too ! your video is just ... wow i loose my word !

Ok folks, so I'm still waiting for Nod to get latest iteration of model + textures so we can start on multi-skins and damage model, made this short vid with the previous version model. Most of you won't notice the difference in this video though as it's not a super-high-rez one.

Playing around with camera angles and scripting, tell me what you think:

O...M...F...G

That looks absolutely epic. I honestly felt like I was watching an updated version of Janes Longbow 2. PHENOMENAL! Everything about it looks sick. From the detail to the systems, to the look of the aircraft, to the articulating pylons (amazing!).

I'm assuming there will be a burst limit (10, 20, 50, 100) on the gun? I did see a message in the video, but just asking. Also will the rounds actually be HE rounds?

O...M...F...G

That looks absolutely epic. I honestly felt like I was watching an updated version of Janes Longbow 2. PHENOMENAL! Everything about it looks sick. From the detail to the systems, to the look of the aircraft, to the articulating pylons (amazing!).

I'm assuming there will be a burst limit (10, 20, 50, 100) on the gun? I did see a message in the video, but just asking. Also will the rounds actually be HE rounds?

Jane's Longbow and Longbow 2 have been a huge inspiration for this project from the start and while we can't really create a true sequel we can still try to get that same feel out of things.

The M230 is limited to 10, 20, 50, and 100 round bursts with a varying cool off period for each one. Wait time after a burst can be as low as 4 seconds or as long as 32. Ammunition type is modeled on the performance of M789 HEDP ammunition.

Franze, the video and the addon look fantastic. I appreciate you guys continuing to work this for us all to enjoy.

One nit... It may be an engine limitation or Blast Core working, but the Hellfire doesn't actually burn its motor when it's in its terminal attack phase. It's, for the most part, ballistic by the time it's raining down on the target. A small issue I'm happy to overlook, but in case you guys were looking for feedback.

We had to have the motor burn for a longer time to maintain an accurate speed without going hypersonic; while we could have scripted the missile entirely we felt that to make it work with the AI (which doesn't use any special scripting to save cycles) we should stick with the basics. As such the motor burns for a lot longer than the real thing. The limitation is due to drag values not working properly (or at all) in missile config; a 2 or 3 second motor burn time only gets you a very short distance before the missile peters out rather than maintaining momentum. To my knowledge this strange magic 'out-of-fuel drag' has not been addressed since ArmA1.

Moar questions!

something that's been playing in my mind, does it (or are you planning to include in the future) have a Defensive suite? i know the MK1 has HIADS which is pretty much bitching Betty but can automatically address detected missile launches or will that be up to the pilot? (either way its a small challenge when underfire :P )

Also do you plan to release once the AH-64D is finished as a individual or wait until all iterations are done and release as a pack? (might want to make a FAQ on the OP seeing its upto 105 pages already :P )