Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

Look's nice.

Someone should start a ticket to get this to be the permanent ACE AH64, the BIS one is terrible IMO.

Why is it so bad?

show some respect dude...

BIS did a very good job in the modelling departement, but you know, there are a lot of factors that make things harder for BIS than NodUnit.

saying BIS did a "unrealistic model" is just not right

I imagine BIS had better references than you do, unless you happen to be an Apache crewman? It might not be 100% accurate, but considering we got it for free, it's awesome.

People tend to forget that BIS (and any other Game Developer for that matter) have something that we addonmakers don't have: a deadline.

Imagine every modeller at BIS could put as much time in his works as we can, no deadline forcing them to finish a model....i guess we would still wait for ArmA 2 instead of being excited about the announcement of ArmA 3.

That said, the BIS models are as good as they could make it with the given deadline. Sure there is room for improvements but for a company these improvements have to pay out.

So as PurePassion said, show some respect, BIS did the best job they could.

Does IMO mean anything to you?

The BIS AH is acceptable, it does it's job.

But if you compare it to this not taking the fact that Nod is a modder not a dev this wins hands down.

Edit: Inb4 someone says to make a better one than the BIS Apache, I can't. I suck balls at this, I tried, I failed.

Edited by Archosaurusrev

Does IMO mean anything to you?

The BIS AH is acceptable, it does it's job.

But if you compare it to this not taking the fact that Nod is a modder not a dev this wins hands down.

Edit: Inb4 someone says to make a better one than the BIS Apache, I can't. I suck balls at this, I tried, I failed.

You want from BIS to do one model of helicopter like 3-4 years? because Nod is doing that Apache since arma 1

anyway that vanilla A2 Apache model was created by BIA - VBS2

Edited by RobertHammer

You want from BIS to do one model of helicopter like 3-4 years? because Nod is doing that Apache since arma 1

anyway that vanilla A2 Apache model was created by BIA - VBS2

Nod has been doing these helos for years, BIS made the helo in a pretty short time.

Nod has allllll the time he needs.

For the record BI's model has existed since VBS1 as an edit of the AH-64A.

http://community.bistudio.com/wikidata/images/4/4f/Ss_vbs1_ah64_pic_001.jpg

http://www.pcgamersworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ARMA2-Arrowhead-vehicles-Apache.jpg

Three reasons they can't have as much detail..one as you said deadline, two concern for performance and three, a more casual method of modelling. For example if you were to look at my tail rotor up close compared to BI's, you would see that theirs lacks as much detail BUT the pieces are more rounded, whereas mine has far more yet is far less rounded, when you break it down you can see it easily.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/breakdown2-1.jpg (though the six sided cylinders on the arms are now 8)

Likewise for the main rotor, not a single cylinder exceends 6 sides. But the thing is these parts will always be in motion with the eye viewing the general shape and the detail there rather than how rounded things are.

When it comes to texturing the general consensus is that focal points should have more detail than the sum of the object, should the same not be true for modelling? Using less to achieve more? When you look at these pictures are your eyes perceiving that the rotors pitch links are four sided boxes? or that the scissors are five sided? That the radar wires are 3 sided?

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/pic1.jpg?t=1310567013

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/pic2.jpg?t=1310567017

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/pic4.jpg?t=1310567022

No you you're busy focusing on the engines, the nose sensors, wheels and other larger pieces and only seeing the small as a whole, for the distance you will generally be you'd never be able to tell the difference between a four sided cylinder pitch link vs a 12 sided, not to mention your focus degrades as you get ingame and have many other distractions such as the background, and finally with the pieces in motion the chances simply drop more. As our technology grows organic models increase in quality yet some vehicles remain a step back because there is too much focus on making everything, even that which the eyes will not focus directly on, smooth and rounded as opposed to using less in those area's to create more overall. It's like having a tank cannon with 24 sides and an extrusion for the barrel, sure you get no visible edges but how much are you wasting by having so many and that extrusion that no one will really ever see.

Edited by NodUnit

Well here's a brief glimpse of what lies ahead for the helo..philes...tell you what I'll just stick to the term rotor head. texuring phase is still very early but I couldn't resist playing with the oh so fun normal maps. http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/riv1.jpg?t=1310583801 (still not done)

Best part is that just like actual rivets, they are barely visible at distance.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/riv2.jpg?t=1310583803

next update will probably have the whole bird set up with rivets and bands...time to OCD it up.

Edited by NodUnit

He said unless TKOH is expanded beyond a civilian sim then no.

Edited by NodUnit

Btw, HOW did that guy get RTT in TOH?

Is he a dev just testing it?

The community preview exe provides the possibility (i.e. the little mirror)

The community preview exe provides the possibility (i.e. the little mirror)

Errr, so the exe has RTT in it in planes and the like or does it allow modders to do it?

I'll go see....

Hmm, I seem to only have the normal application/shortcut whatever you want to call it.

I'mconfus.jpg

the TOH pbo contains all the info u need to get it to work with in the TOH community preview, it allows modders to add it to their things but only preview in the takoh exe. This very well means that at some point it is possible that A2 will be expanded to have this functionality by itself.

This very well means that at some point it is possible that A2 will be expanded to have this functionality by itself.

...and that would be cool. Although from what I've seen so far it's a little jerky. I'm sure there are lots of tweaks still to be done.

Wanted to try a small change of pace from all the shading after realising I screwed up and need to make the shaded parts white multiplay layers so they can work with any colors and that I need to remake all stencils because they somehow merged with the green paint long ago FFFfffffRrrrgh...screw that lets paint a camo. So here is a early peak at what the future AH-64 Saraf will look like.

IS-5.jpg?t=1311221572

IS-6.jpg?t=1311221574

IS-3.jpg?t=1311221575

Is-2.jpg?t=1311221578

Edited by NodUnit