Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

Franze, I know this is mostly resolved but...

Yesterday I had a good deal out-and-in up to Santa Barbara and it gave me a chance to play with the FLIR and missile options while we were transiting. As my Apache buddy mentioned to me with his system, ours has no selectable "LOBL" mode, only LOAL DIR, HI, and LO. It just reverts to LOBL when there's energy sensed. Same deal on the Apache as he's explained it to me (for HF lasers, anyway).

That may or may not be possible to duplicate within the game engine, but figured I'd at least pass on the info.

Wow! The apache looks stunning! Great job nodunit I can't wait for the release!

Thank you, but I'm sorry, you must, you all must, mwhahha.

Franze, I know this is mostly resolved but...

Yesterday I had a good deal out-and-in up to Santa Barbara and it gave me a chance to play with the FLIR and missile options while we were transiting. As my Apache buddy mentioned to me with his system, ours has no selectable "LOBL" mode, only LOAL DIR, HI, and LO. It just reverts to LOBL when there's energy sensed. Same deal on the Apache as he's explained it to me (for HF lasers, anyway).

That may or may not be possible to duplicate within the game engine, but figured I'd at least pass on the info.

So if the aircraft detects the laser it jumps to LOBL and if not remains in one of the LOAL modes?

So if the aircraft detects the laser it jumps to LOBL and if not remains in one of the LOAL modes?

Correct, if the seeker head detects energy, it just reverts to LOBL and then adjusts it's seeker head angles and logic. Otherwise, it assumes LOAL (x). (x) being whatever mode you put it in (LOAL HI, LOAL LO, LOAL DIR). There's some extra science that goes into it as far as when it detects the energy after it is off the rail (ie, when you start lasing) as long as the seeker head can see it, which it may not initially. This will result in varying max ranges and flight profiles, which can be helpful for cloud cover and target range. You may be able to find these profiles online, but I'd be leery of posting them myself as I'm not really sure of their suitability for release.

I apologize if I'm being a FLIR/Hellfire drama queen. Just trying to provide you guys with the best info for an addon I look forward to.

That's some good info anyways and I think we can implement it; however I see some controls in the AH-64A manual that indicate LOAL mode can be turned off and the missile forced into LOBL mode. Is there any more solid information on that?

Correct, if the seeker head detects energy, it just reverts to LOBL and then adjusts it's seeker head angles and logic. Otherwise, it assumes LOAL (x). (x) being whatever mode you put it in (LOAL HI, LOAL LO, LOAL DIR). There's some extra science that goes into it as far as when it detects the energy after it is off the rail (ie, when you start lasing) as long as the seeker head can see it, which it may not initially. This will result in varying max ranges and flight profiles, which can be helpful for cloud cover and target range. You may be able to find these profiles online, but I'd be leery of posting them myself as I'm not really sure of their suitability for release.

I apologize if I'm being a FLIR/Hellfire drama queen. Just trying to provide you guys with the best info for an addon I look forward to.

Just out of curiousity, what if it doesn't detect everything? does it self-destruct after a few kilometers of flight or when the rocket runs out of fuel? or does it just run out and drop?

That's some good info anyways and I think we can implement it; however I see some controls in the AH-64A manual that indicate LOAL mode can be turned off and the missile forced into LOBL mode. Is there any more solid information on that?

I'm afraid you're exceeding my knowledge... Is there a chance that what you're reading is regarding LOBL remote? You do have to select that as opposed to operating in AUTONOMOUS mode. There's even a whole section in my UNCLASS pub about having to switch it out of LOBL remote to LOAL so the seeker head doesn't fry itself. Maybe the ability to switch between LOBL remote and LOAL autonomous is what it's talking about. While I'm not smart on the Apache, having messed with the systems on two different airframes, I haven't seen a dedicated LOBL option when operating in AUTONOMOUS.

Just out of curiousity, what if it doesn't detect everything? does it self-destruct after a few kilometers of flight or when the rocket runs out of fuel? or does it just run out and drop?

It depends on the missile. The -114B goes off into the sunset until it hits it's gimbal limit, which pretty much means it won't find the energy again. The newer missiles will turn back towards the last known target position to reacquire. Either way, it just runs out of fuel and "falls" to the earth in a spectacular end. No self-destruct. I'd say very few munitions actually have a self-destruct.

I'm afraid you're exceeding my knowledge... Is there a chance that what you're reading is regarding LOBL remote? You do have to select that as opposed to operating in AUTONOMOUS mode. There's even a whole section in my UNCLASS pub about having to switch it out of LOBL remote to LOAL so the seeker head doesn't fry itself. Maybe the ability to switch between LOBL remote and LOAL autonomous is what it's talking about. While I'm not smart on the Apache, having messed with the systems on two different airframes, I haven't seen a dedicated LOBL option when operating in AUTONOMOUS.

In the AH-64A unclass manual there is a switch for LOAL mode which has settings "OFF", "HI", "LO", and "DIR". Manual says that selecting "OFF" disables LOAL mode and forces the missile into LOBL mode.

It depends on the missile. The -114B goes off into the sunset until it hits it's gimbal limit, which pretty much means it won't find the energy again. The newer missiles will turn back towards the last known target position to reacquire. Either way, it just runs out of fuel and "falls" to the earth in a spectacular end. No self-destruct. I'd say very few munitions actually have a self-destruct.

This is good info too, although due to the nature of the scripting the SAL missiles already behave like this as long as they're in the terminal phase.

Interesting. Like I said, you've exceeded my knowledge base (not hard to do). It does make me ask, "what if it's receiving energy in one of those modes...does it ignore it until it leaves the rail?" Even that doesn't make sense, because the time between the missile leaving the rail and when it sees energy affects it's range (as does the profile selected). So (hypothetically here), if it's in LOAL (x) mode, with energy received, and it ignores it and leaves the rail in LOAL mode, as soon as it leaves the rail (to my thinking), it would detect the energy and adjust, essentially making it LOBL. Then again, this is me just thinking out loud.

Sorry I can't be more help. I may try and ask my Apache buddy again, but I'm not sure if he flies the A model.

So not much to report on this time around, been spending most of my time building missions for the main campaign while Nod plays around with the texturing. Nonetheless, the first glimmers of the skin system have been put in place:

ah64_skin_121912_1s.jpg

ah64_skin_121912_2s.jpg

ah64_skin_121912_3s.jpg

ah64_skin_121912_4s.jpg

This will allow us to implement our damage system in the future while serving as a baseline for customizable skins. Skins can be referenced exclusively to one client and what they might have on their hard drive, the mission file, or a pbo file. Skin files do not have to be shared by all clients. Skin files can be any size so as long as they follow the ^2 rule.

That's all I've got for now, enjoy!

Nice work, great idea for the texture system too, what about for servers running keys? can textures still be loaded clientside without the need for a key?

I take it you're getting close to finishing now that you're working on the campaign? *inhales expectantly* :D

Textures are set by a script after everything has initialized, it is entirely dependent on mission settings for what a texture is set to. This may be changed to link with the arming system but that might be a little complicated early on.

The campaign goes on, usually a mission every couple of weeks. We don't plan to release this then expect everyone else to make missions for it.

Textures are set by a script after everything has initialized, it is entirely dependent on mission settings for what a texture is set to. This may be changed to link with the arming system but that might be a little complicated early on.

That would be pretty cool.

The campaign goes on, usually a mission every couple of weeks. We don't plan to release this then expect everyone else to make missions for it.

Well that's unexpectedly kind...

Edited by Scarecrow398

I... I want to hug you... and hit you at the same time :p

Looking great, can't wait.

Nodunit, Franze, I don't post often in these forums, but I've been lurking for ages. And this is the only thread I've saved a link to my bookmarks bar - I keep checking back now and then. I simply can't wait to be able to fly that thing. I'm obsessed with the AH-64D and the WAH-64, and the versions put out by the Vanilla ArmA game were sort of disappointing.

Is it really in beta? Does that mean a release is close?

Nodunit, Franze, I don't post often in these forums, but I've been lurking for ages. And this is the only thread I've saved a link to my bookmarks bar - I keep checking back now and then. I simply can't wait to be able to fly that thing. I'm obsessed with the AH-64D and the WAH-64, and the versions put out by the Vanilla ArmA game were sort of disappointing.

Is it really in beta? Does that mean a release is close?

Actually we're still in alpha as there's features we still need to implement. When those features are implemented we will be moving into beta which I hope to not take nearly as long as alpha has.

The details on this addon are amazing. I'm really impressed. You guys make this look easy.

This looks amazing. After seeing the integrated MFCDs and the interchangeable pages on it, i imagine, what about an A-10C? Huh? :3 (I'd be more than willing to do it myself if i knew how to implement said MFCDs

NodUnit and Franze have done superb jobs in making this beauty, the attention to detail is astounding. It flies like a dream and the MFCD pages & the FCR are incredibly useful. The IHADSS greatly aids in target engagement and the PNVS is really fun to use. All in all, despite being in alpha and knowing that they want to add even more, it's already a high quality addon and feels damn near done.

th_ArmA2OA2012-12-3114-54-04-74_zps60c2f054.png th_ArmA2OA2012-12-3114-48-35-26_zpsb08b4d10.png th_ArmA2OA2012-12-3114-59-59-83_zps0afaee71.png th_ArmA2OA2012-12-3115-01-32-44_zps629b7196.png

th_ArmA2OA2012-12-3115-07-00-78_zps79b7d687.png th_ArmA2OA2012-12-3115-08-33-57_zpsd63e613d.png th_ArmA2OA2012-12-3115-14-10-63_zpsaed6ac8f.png th_ArmA2OA2012-12-3115-14-33-27_zps3390c864.png

(Click for larger)

Hey b00ce, nice shots, glad to hear you like our bird, how was basic?

This looks amazing. After seeing the integrated MFCDs and the interchangeable pages on it, i imagine, what about an A-10C? Huh? :3 (I'd be more than willing to do it myself if i knew how to implement said MFCDs

Changeable pages itself is probably the easiest part, having them actually linked to commands on the other hand..well that's something else. Each page takes over what the missing HUD had as well as extra functions such as jammers on the ASE page and scaleable maps on TSD. You'd have to ask Franze about that but it's likely to be a LOT of work.. A-10C is something we've given thought to but that would be a TKOH or Arma 3 thing rather than A2, otherwise we miss out on the lightening pod's camera, them clouds and the by comparison VAST terrain that would make fixed wing all the more sensible.

I wanted to say thank you all for your encouragement and patience, there have been a lot of hiccups and bumps along the way (collapsing a 1000 layer psd and saving it for example) but we should be getting into the final chapter of things, we decided to make the skin system a useable feature from the get go rather than let others do all the work. For example, all birds will have a "clean" and "weathered" skin, the A's is already done (please note this is only diffuse, no normals or ambient shadow) http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Acompare.jpg We will likely also use this to create the grey apache texture rather than release it's own kit. Thank you for not giving up on us folks, we WILL get this bird out there, someday soon I hope...

In addition Franze is also working on some tutorial missions for those that don't want to read a great big manual to understand what everything is and does alongside the campaign missions.

Dsylexci has a video on youtube showing a Picture in Picture (apparently using ArmA 2's engine). Is this something that you all are able to implement or is it just a concept that isn't worth dealing with at the moment?

Either way, I've been keeping track on this WIP and hope that you get to have a Happy New Year in between all of the hard work you are putting in.

Do you have a link to said video?

Hey b00ce, nice shots, glad to hear you like our bird, how was basic?

Basic wasn't too horrible. I think it got it kind of light. Some of the other platoons got absolutely ROASTED on more than one occasion (Like having to low crawl through a mud puddle on an FTX for calling it a camping trip). None of our people were dumb enough to say something like that, at least not to the company commander's face. :z:

Also, I think this is the video Raptor was talking about. Its VBS2.

BpCo9Zmieoc

The video is at best Arma 1 and at most VBS2, the HUD symbology in the top is completely different (360 flat radar vs top down, fuel and armor indicators horizontal vs components and single fuel bar) , ACE 2 still uses some of Arma 2's native. The additional information below the Fuel indicator with time and location information, alongside the replaced speed above these two also suggest VBS2 HUD.

Edited by NodUnit