Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

Does anyone know offhand as to wether or not faces with mirrored UV space with welded vertices generate less extra vertices on a split edge?

A cylinder for example, if the sides were mirrored half and half would it create less vertices on the split than a fully unwrapped side?

Edited by NodUnit

Another update, not much major to talk about, long work week so not much done.

Thanks to NouberNou's help we've managed to get a per frame eventhandler in place which will be used for timing critical scripts, which is fortunate as we already had a few that needed to be placed in a fast running environment. This will also make certain damage effects run a lot smoother.

We improved HELLFIRE functioning by introducing an obscurement element, so that if you do not have an LOS to your target you cannot use LOBL missile launch modes. LOAL modes on the other hand can be launched without having an LOS to the target, though you must get an LOS while the missile is midway through it's flight (for SAL missiles). RF missiles LOAL mode only works against static targets since this forces the missile to rely on it's own radar instead of getting data from the FCR and thus cannot receive accurate target data en route. SAL missiles still require a constant lock on the target to ensure a hit. The FCR scripting incorporates this LOS scripting so now it is much more accurate than in the past where we had to rely on a different mechanism to block certain targets. LOS elements are indicated on the HMD so you know when you have a good lock or not; this applies to all weapons available to the aircraft.

I'll finish up with a few pics:

ah64_112812_6s.jpg

ah64_112812_2s.jpg

ah64_112812_3s.jpg

ah64_112812_4s.jpg

ah64_112812_5s.jpg

And see how far we've come in 7 1/2 years!

ah64_112812_1s.jpg

OH MY GOD MY EYES

Bonus screens:

Loading Pad 1

Loading Pad 2

Absolutely great work guys!!! Love the OH-58 Kiowa in the "OMG My eyes" photo. The Apache looks great in the photos as well, very nice job indeed.

You guys could totally wrastle up a direct replica if you got PuFu to finish his Kiowa... I think the Kiowa in that screenshot is the same model thats out there for A2! :p

Love the heli formation photos especially with OH-58! Awsome work, really looking forward to release!

At the time that old picture was taken, the Kiowa we made for FP wasn't even finished yet - note all the grey on it. I would have direct linked to that picture to show a better comparison but that one is 55KB over the limit and I was too lazy to resize it. Remember, that's from summer of 2005! That was the only scratch built OH-58D made for FP at the time and we built it even though the OH-58D was already in the game courtesy of BIS. It was never ported past FP so the ones you've seen in A1 and A2 are ports of the BIS model, not our old one.

I think Pufu has intended his OH-58D purely for ACE.

Franze, what I'm about to write is for informational purposes, so ignore as you see fit. I know you have to balance playability with systems modeling...

I can't speak to RF Hellfires, but the Laser Hellfire can be shot, regardless of profile mode. In fact, depending on the software of the aircraft, you don't actually set "LOBL," just the various LOAL modes (at least in practice...I can't remember if it's an actual selectable mode...I haven't played with HF mode in a while). In the two systems I've used, you just squirt laser energy at the target, even if a LOAL mode, and pickle the missile and that puts it in LOBL mode. So, that said, you could actually shoot the missile even if you're in LOBL and don't have LOS. The missile doesn't care if it's getting energy or not, it's just waiting to be activated.

Again, I get you're balancing gameplay, and for the "fun factor," the way you described it may just be easier for the user, which is fine by me. Regardless, looks great across the board.

I think Pufu has intended his OH-58D purely for ACE.

On the contrary, especially since i am not part if ace anymore, nor am i using it. ;)

Franze, what I'm about to write is for informational purposes, so ignore as you see fit. I know you have to balance playability with systems modeling...

I can't speak to RF Hellfires, but the Laser Hellfire can be shot, regardless of profile mode. In fact, depending on the software of the aircraft, you don't actually set "LOBL," just the various LOAL modes (at least in practice...I can't remember if it's an actual selectable mode...I haven't played with HF mode in a while). In the two systems I've used, you just squirt laser energy at the target, even if a LOAL mode, and pickle the missile and that puts it in LOBL mode. So, that said, you could actually shoot the missile even if you're in LOBL and don't have LOS. The missile doesn't care if it's getting energy or not, it's just waiting to be activated.

Again, I get you're balancing gameplay, and for the "fun factor," the way you described it may just be easier for the user, which is fine by me. Regardless, looks great across the board.

That mode of operation for LOBL was through information gathered from a variety of sources, so I've no doubt the real story may be totally different. Most sources seem to give the impression that LOBL mode requires laser energy prior to launch - this may be referring to an older model of missile rather than the most recent variants. If the latest models made in the past decade don't need laser energy at launch in LOBL mode then that is certainly changeable, though it'd be nice to know if it was the same for older versions.

That mode of operation for LOBL was through information gathered from a variety of sources, so I've no doubt the real story may be totally different. Most sources seem to give the impression that LOBL mode requires laser energy prior to launch - this may be referring to an older model of missile rather than the most recent variants. If the latest models made in the past decade don't need laser energy at launch in LOBL mode then that is certainly changeable, though it'd be nice to know if it was the same for older versions.

The missile itself doesn't care if there's energy or not. It just gets told to launch and depending on what mode it was told prior to launch makes it adjust when it looks for energy and what profile it flies. I'm over-simplifying it a little bit, but you get the idea.

I think the issue may be whether the aircraft software will let the user launch the missile without energy. I'm not smart enough about the Apache to tell you, either way. For the Navy -60s, changing it to LOBL really only changes symbology (range, constraints, etc) as far as the user is concerned. Obviously it affects when the missile looks down, too, but I'm just talking from the user's point of view. The missile will still leave the rail when you press RELEASE CONSENT even if you aren't pressing the laser trigger. I know that doesn't give you the full answer, though, since we're talking about the Apache. I just have a hard time believing it's that different, but I've certainly been wrong before.

Tell you what, I know an Apache guy. Let me ask him and I'll get back to you. It may take a couple of days.

When are you going to get the addon? It seems that this addon will never see the light in the ArmA2 community addons, I hope to try it before arma3 or you can stick it up your ass addon. :yay:

@Metralla

Oh boy, it seems you need some extra guidance. Luckely I am here to take your hand and show you the right path. In your case this path leads out of this thread (so you are banned from the thread) towards the light which shines from us moderators. To enlighten you we sent 1 infraction your way for flaming.

When are you going to get the addon? It seems that this addon will never see the light in the ArmA2 community addons, I hope to try it before arma3 or you can stick it up your ass addon. :yay:

WOW! He doesn't ever have to release this mod if he doesn't want to. If you haven't noticed this mid is the best best that ArmA has ever seen. The detail alone is remarkable. He obviously takes pride in his work and isn't going to release it until he personally is satisfied with its completion. He's not getting paid to slave over his pc and create this amazing addon. Do you have any idea how much time goes into a model? Even a small handgun takes a long time to do, especially done in the perfect way that this Apache is. Then he's got an endless process of coding to give us all the options and capabilities that these AH-64's will have. I can't believe the nerve of some people. You can definitely pinpoint the angry little boys who are bullied on a daily basis because they get on forums and take out all their aggression

^^ please ignore the troll, he cant read any posts here anymore anyway.

I'm really looking forward to actually being able to know more precisely were rockets will land.

I cant wait for this its going to be really cool and detailed. You are great keep up the good work!

keep up the good work guys and dont listhen to some stupid plp who just talk and throw words u guys are great for what ur doing and ur work is also amazing keep it up

FYI, a few pages back we discussed that if it appeared ArmA3 was right around the corner and we would be unable to get it completely done for A2, we would release in alpha/beta state.

Well that was..strange, don't worry folks we aren't deterred, and we appreciate your support.

Got an answer back and it's as I expected and similar to our system. Whether energy is leaving the turret or not, the missile is coming off the rail when you pickle it. Shooting in LOBL will still change the seeker head angles and symbology, and the upgrades do some extra stuff, like adjusting the ballistic path (G-load and look down), but the system doesn't care about laser energy and will release the missile when told to.

Hope that helps.

gator, that helps a lot and I'll change LOBL guidance accordingly to match.

@Franze

well... that alpha/beta state allready looks pretty rock solid :)

I agree... I know I dont know really, but from all the footage... you really have a solid working addon... Alpha/Beta tester, I would love to be... keep me in mind. :)

Great Job Guys!!!

-VRCRaptor