Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

Please do explain further, while it may be out of bounds for A2 it might be applicable for TKOH or A3 and in future we may make a UH-60 in the same as the apache so having that knowledge could lead to a gameplay change (maybe ).

Please do explain further, while it may be out of bounds for A2 it might be applicable for TKOH or A3 and in future we may make a UH-60 in the same as the apache so having that knowledge could lead to a gameplay change (maybe ).

Yes, please add more! If you're reading this thread then chances are the base BI helicopters probably just aren't enough, so fine technical details are always fun to read from those who have been there and done that. :)

-Mixing unit: This is MECHANICAL and pre-set. Basically, regardless if the head is spinning or not, any input into one of the three controls (pedals, collective or cyclic) causes inputs into the other two systems. This is to counter the various geometries of how the rotors are set up (among other things). So, as was mentioned, when you pull up on the collective, it actually causes cyclic input as well as pedal input. Likewise for each other control. You can actually feel the controls move sometimes when you move another control. Even if you have a complete T/R failure, if you move the pedals back and forth, you'll feel the aircraft pitch fore and aft because of mixing.

Yeah, with all the pilot assist stuff off (SAS, BOOST), pushing the collective full down then moving the pedals will cause the collective to raise a couple inches. The mixer is also what runs your Load-Demand Spindles to the engines (Basically, the throttle).

For more random trivia, the 20 degree cant to the tail rotor provides about 400 pounds of lift while in a hover.

And if you guys are serious about doing a UH-60, I'd love to provide any reference info or photos that I can. If you stay away from H-60Ms and the medevac HH-60s, you won't even have to worry about MFDs. :P

Stay away from the MPD, such a thing would be a travesty my good sir. Nay, should we work on that which contains therein a glass cockpit variant, be therefore certain that we shall pay heed.

That said, it would be just as much of a travesty to ignore the classics, the fathers and grandfathers of today's helicopters, especially of the same type. (funny how we refer to aircraft as female yet when talking about a lineage we use male terms)

Edited by NodUnit

Re read the above and.... Mixing isn't just for the cant, it's also for the tractor (or push, depending on the system) force of the T/R. The Apache may have one less requirement because of the reason you stated, but there's other forces that can be countered with mixing.

My apologies if this sounded too douchey. I meant that I had reread your comment, not that you needed to reread my thesis on helicopter control.

Yes, please add more! If you're reading this thread then chances are the base BI helicopters probably just aren't enough, so fine technical details are always fun to read from those who have been there and done that. :)

I can't post on these forums from work (due to the firewalls) which is where I have the pubs electronically, but in the next few days, I'll try and extract the text on mixing from our NATOPS from the .pdf and post it here. Obviously I can't release the whole thing, but I can put up the excerpt. I'm just honored to help anyway I can.

Yeah, with all the pilot assist stuff off (SAS, BOOST), pushing the collective full down then moving the pedals will cause the collective to raise a couple inches. The mixer is also what runs your Load-Demand Spindles to the engines (Basically, the throttle).

For more random trivia, the 20 degree cant to the tail rotor provides about 400 pounds of lift while in a hover.

Our pubs don't give pounds of thrust, just percent (2.5%). The 400 pounds is a new number I've never heard. Thanks for the knowledge.

And if you guys are serious about doing a UH-60, I'd love to provide any reference info or photos that I can. If you stay away from H-60Ms and the medevac HH-60s, you won't even have to worry about MFDs. :P

I "grew up" on legacy aircraft (steam gauges), so I'm with you. I get to fly the new gucci model (Romeo) now with all glass. In a lot of ways, I prefer the steam gauges. I think our glass displays are similar to the Mike's, although a few software revisions behind. Regardless, I'm happy to help along with SCFan42 as best I can. I know, I know, one step at a time. First the Apache!

Well if we work on the hawks we'll be sure to let you guys know. The only thing is I don't know if we'll be sticking with A2 after the apache or diving straight into TKOH Rearmed.

Edited by NodUnit

My apologies if this sounded too douchey. I meant that I had reread your comment, not that you needed to reread my thesis on helicopter control.

No harm done, my father flew the UH-60A for a few years so I was sure there was more to it than that. I think you've clarified the basics here. :)

I can't post on these forums from work (due to the firewalls) which is where I have the pubs electronically, but in the next few days, I'll try and extract the text on mixing from our NATOPS from the .pdf and post it here. Obviously I can't release the whole thing, but I can put up the excerpt. I'm just honored to help anyway I can.

Yup, I know what you mean with firewalls. Don't post anything that might get you in trouble, OPSEC being what it is; there's some details that we don't need to know. ;)

I "grew up" on legacy aircraft (steam gauges), so I'm with you. I get to fly the new gucci model (Romeo) now with all glass. In a lot of ways, I prefer the steam gauges. I think our glass displays are similar to the Mike's, although a few software revisions behind. Regardless, I'm happy to help along with SCFan42 as best I can. I know, I know, one step at a time. First the Apache!

I don't want to say that a H-60 type is on the list or will be done, but a lot of aircraft are on the table after this. Most of them aren't nearly as complex as the Apache is which helps aid with implementation of them and we can borrow a lot of scripting from the Apache to get them done, but the Apache isn't done yet either. :o

You'd want to go to gatordev for most of the flying parts, since I'm just a mechanic on them. I have a slightly outdated copy of the maintenance manual for H-60As and 60Ls, but I believe those are restricted. I can also take any sort of reference picture needed, at least until next Sept. Though I may be limited to HH-60s for a while.

What I have found through searching are some student handouts released by Rucker. They even say "This product is releasable to students from all requesting foreign countries without restrictions," so it should be good to post a link. They include info on the mixing, particularly the ratios of the degrees changed. I'd suggest downloading the PDFs in case they disappear.

I'm also in no rush to see H-60s for A2. I'd rather see them in TKOH or A3, so that at least some of the flight sim things can be modeled. Though, if I could request something for the AH-64 and H-60s, it'd be aircrew in their "Air Warrior" get up.

Well if we work on the hawks we'll be sure to let you guys know. The only thing is I don't know if we'll be sticking with A2 after the apache or diving straight into TKOH Rearmed.

I missed this before...

I don't really see this as a negative... Except there's no damn CROUCH TOGGLE key in Rearmed! I wish BIS would fix that, although then I'd have to convert everything over to TKOH. I'm sure I could overcome it.

This is not meant so much as an update (well it kind of is...) but rather a quick and short tutorial for those looking to make digital displays not effected by light.

If you use standard materials then your page will be effected by sunlight, causing this http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/AH-64%20Assistance/examp1_zps46878b6d.png

The first step is to use the "Always in Shadow" rvmat function found here http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_RVMAT.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/examp2_zps0e5c4752.png Believe it or not, half of the right page is in shadow and the other half in sunlight, with "always in shadow" sunlight no longer has effect. However this also makes the color dim, the left page is actually using the brightest green in the color palette!

To get the illumination you need to go into the rvmat again and raise your ambient settings to 2.50 each including Link A, this raises the overall intensity of the texture and results in the following.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/arma2oa2012-10-1701-30-39-67_zps1854e7c7.png (DO NOT TOUCH DIFFUSE! You will null the always in shadow.)

Each page is half in the dark half in the light, and again there is no difference between the two but now the display is illuminated and a result MUCH easier to read, even in the darker weather http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/arma2oa2012-10-1701-20-28-25_zps92e5f4b3.png

Use Emissive to set your displays to glow at night, but note that Ambient also effects this, so you will want a low number such as 0.07 to 0.10, if you use 1.00 you're going to nuke your eyes (aka upset the HDR) http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/arma2oa2012-10-1701-38-46-34_zps7ed5620e.png

And finally here is my rvmat http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/rvmat_zpsff2e5da6.png I hope this will help those of you working on digital displays.

Edited by NodUnit

This is not meant so much as an update (well it kind of is...) but rather a quick and short tutorial for those looking to make digital displays not effected by light.

If you use standard materials then your page will be effected by sunlight, causing this http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/AH-64%20Assistance/examp1_zps46878b6d.png

The first step is to use the "Always in Shadow" rvmat function found here http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_RVMAT.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/examp2_zps0e5c4752.png Believe it or not, half of the right page is in shadow and the other half in sunlight, with "always in shadow" sunlight no longer has effect. However this also makes the color dim, the left page is actually using the brightest green in the color palette!

To get the illumination you need to go into the rvmat again and raise your ambient settings to 2.50 each including Link A, this raises the overall intensity of the texture and results in the following.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/arma2oa2012-10-1701-30-39-67_zps1854e7c7.png (DO NOT TOUCH DIFFUSE! You will null the always in shadow.)

Each page is half in the dark half in the light, and again there is no difference between the two but now the display is illuminated and a result MUCH easier to read, even in the darker weather http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/arma2oa2012-10-1701-20-28-25_zps92e5f4b3.png

Use Emissive to set your displays to glow at night, but note that Ambient also effects this, so you will want a low number such as 0.07 to 0.10, if you use 1.00 you're going to nuke your eyes (aka upset the HDR) http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/arma2oa2012-10-1701-38-46-34_zps7ed5620e.png

And finally here is my rvmat http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/rvmat_zpsff2e5da6.png I hope this will help those of you working on digital displays.

Ah cool, nice work around for that, defiantly have to remember that :P

Short and fast progress update of the past couple days; been experimenting with moving map for the TSD page and here are the preliminary results:

ah64d_mmap_1s.jpg

ah64d_mmap_2s.jpg

ah64d_mmap_3s.jpg

The map is 'glued' to the ownship icon and pans with it along with moving under it, giving you a better idea of the terrain and your position on the map. It's scalable so it can go through scales of 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, and 50km.

Short and fast progress update of the past couple days; been experimenting with moving map for the TSD page and here are the preliminary results:

Not that you asked ;) but I only like the third example. The other two just look weird to me. Maybe some combat helo's display the map like that but I've not seen anything like it before.

Oh they aren't examples, they are all the same map ;) note the scale numbers in the top right, between the two arrows.

Has to do with scaling of the map image. Utes is only 5x5km in size so at 10km the whole map is visible. :)

Ah, I see. Maybe you can find a way to add extra sea (i.e. blue) to the edges then so that it still fills the display, rather than appearing as a diamond?

It's a possibility; the black is there because the map can be turned on/off.

That’s a really smart feature, I like that a lot. Scaling is great especially on larger maps ( Landmass/ landlocked).

Will it run for any map your on ?

:)

Awesome, does it work with custom maps with weird grids like Celle, CWR, ect?

The grid system used doesn't affect anything, it works on the size of the map. For Utes this is 5120x5120m, for Chernarus this is 15360x15360m, and so on. If you know the map size in meters then it will work for it.

That’s a really smart feature, I like that a lot. Scaling is great especially on larger maps ( Landmass/ landlocked).

Will it run for any map your on ?

:)

Yes, but naturally we can't make map images for every map out there.

Expect a short video demonstration soon.

The grid system used doesn't affect anything, it works on the size of the map. For Utes this is 5120x5120m, for Chernarus this is 15360x15360m, and so on. If you know the map size in meters then it will work for it.

Yes, but naturally we can't make map images for every map out there.

Obviously, will it be possible to edit 'easily' (I.e, Dpbo, edit the config) for new maps if needed by the users so you guys don't get constant requests to update it?

Map images can be mission based or pbo file based, there's an array that can be defined to allow a range of map images for a particular mission; all up to the mission maker how far they want to go at this point.

Map images can be mission based or pbo file based, there's an array that can be defined to allow a range of map images for a particular mission; all up to the mission maker how far they want to go at this point.

Excellent, so i assume you're just using the topography command to get the maps?