Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

They already have my sounds with other special sounds there :)

Yes sorry about that Robert, it appears that sounds will come last but I still have a keen interest to have some from your sound pack if you are still on board with that.

will you be making one with out the dome on top?

Sure are!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2012-10-1114-24-26-26.png?t=1349985332

Also if anyone is interested in an AN-ALQ-144 (disco ball) for their helicopter I would be happy to share mine if you want one that changes color pending on: shadow, camera angle, helicopter angle, time of day and direction of sun.

Examples for those interested.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2012-10-1115-22-12-14.png?t=1349987234

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2012-10-1115-22-16-35.png?t=1349987260

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2012-10-1115-22-19-26.png?t=1349987294

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2012-10-1115-22-23-03.png?t=1349987330 (you can see how the shadow changes the pink into a blueish color in this one)

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2012-10-1115-22-25-07.png?t=1349987359

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2012-10-1115-22-28-01.png?t=1349987391

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2012-10-1115-07-09-44.png?t=1349989094

Edited by NodUnit

This is because most of the stuff you see on the ENG page derives animation sources from two things: rotor RPM and torque. If it isn't linked to those two then it's just set on a simple timer based routine. There are hooks in the scripting for more complex engine management, but in the short term I needed to keep it simple to make sure all the animations worked as desired.

Note also that the helicopter starts up instantly with no APU, ENG1, or ENG2 start! :)

Gotcha. I figured there was more to the story. Looking forward to this.

Looking at the video again, have you guys considered doing a menu similar (not the same but similar) to the ACE interaction menu rather than the Action menu, then assign each menu option to a key binding, so you could say, assign it to numpad one, then hit say 'A' for arming, 'I' for IHADSS or 'B' for burst; Or do you guys have something else in mind?

Looking at the video again, have you guys considered doing a menu similar (not the same but similar) to the ACE interaction menu rather than the Action menu, then assign each menu option to a key binding, so you could say, assign it to numpad one, then hit say 'A' for arming, 'I' for IHADSS or 'B' for burst; Or do you guys have something else in mind?

Critical actions are already linked to keybindings; we're using Binocular to change gun burst, salute to turn FCR on/off, and change sights to select a sight and mode. We use the Custom User action keys for additional stuff like MPD page cycling and gun tracking modes.

Critical actions are already linked to keybindings; we're using Binocular to change gun burst, salute to turn FCR on/off, and change sights to select a sight and mode. We use the Custom User action keys for additional stuff like MPD page cycling and gun tracking modes.

Ah, well in that case, nice job, still waiting with impatience...

I'm curious, why have a separate key to switch chain gun burst sizes instead of just using the usual "f" weapon selection system?

To simplify selecting weapons - cycling through 4 different modes to get to the next weapon seemed cumbersome.

Imagine pressing F to go through 10-20-50-100-all just to get to the pylon weaponry, not ergonomically sound, not to mention many people find the weapon selection in Arma 2 annoying as is, imagine their faces when you multiply that by 5 presses ;).

Edited by NodUnit

OMG this mod will be awesome...

Cant wait till realease xD

But, there is one question i ask myslef,

will ACE been supported?

Edited by B1n4ry

Nothing is finished yet so any other mod support is indefinite at this time.

I'm curious about something...

On H-60s there's a mixer unit in the flight controls that helps compensate for helicopter aerodynamics when moving the controls. IE: when moving the collective, it also changes the tail rotor pitch to help counter the change in the main rotor's torque.

Does the AH-64 have something similar, and do you guys model it in the rotor pitch simulation?

The only thing that changes anything about the tail rotor on the apache is pedal (yaw) inputs. Collective inputs adjust the M/R swashplate which in turn changes the angle of the blades. Cyclic controls pitch and roll

The only thing that changes anything about the tail rotor on the apache is pedal (yaw) inputs. Collective inputs adjust the M/R swashplate which in turn changes the angle of the blades. Cyclic controls pitch and roll

So the apache has no active stability control...

That sure would be strange if the two helicopters grew up together and had flight control measures such as a moving horizontal stabilizer but only one would get a mixer unit. That said, this is the first time I've heard of such a thing for any helicopter..will investigate.

A bit of a moot point for now though since A2's flight model doesn't alter course when ascending or descending.

Edited by NodUnit

The only moveable control on the T/R is the swashplate...there is no T/R mixer assembly. T/R blades do not articulate like they do on the M/R head. AFAIK the Blackhawks is the same way. There is a horizontal stabilator that helps with aerodynamics, but that has nothing to do with a mixer assembly.

Edited by islesfan186

I think he meant that when the collective is raised a signal is sent to the components to move the swashplates of both main and tail rotor, to counter the torque.

Edited by NodUnit

Yeah, I think what he was saying was there is an electronic control that stabilizes the helicopter given different control inputs.

I don't think -64s have that. Yeah it has been 18 months since I ETSed but in my 7 years of working on them I never heard or or worked on anything like that on the apache. Then again theres a bunch of things that I've never touched either.

Edited by islesfan186

Huh. Even the AH-1F had a stability control augmentation system... it even helped align the armaments.

Edited by Max Power

Maybe he's talking about Force Trim? I dunno. I know the horizontal stabilitaor moves up and down automatically (and can be moved manually) to keep the aircraft more aerodynamic with the up/down, but T/R just controls left and right. I'm pretty sure he's talking about the stab though. Could be wrong.

Edited by islesfan186

I'm curious about something...

On H-60s there's a mixer unit in the flight controls that helps compensate for helicopter aerodynamics when moving the controls. IE: when moving the collective, it also changes the tail rotor pitch to help counter the change in the main rotor's torque.

Does the AH-64 have something similar, and do you guys model it in the rotor pitch simulation?

The H-60's tail rotor is mounted at an angle while the AH-64's tail rotor is mounted straight horizontal, so the H-60s have a unique requirement. I'd have to ask my father again but I'm pretty sure H-60s still need pedal inputs to counter collective and cyclic inputs (or maybe Gatordev can swing by and clarify for all of us?).

Yeah, you guys are confusing the various inputs/reactions to controls. I don't know the details about the Apache, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar. For the -60, it breaks down like this:

-SAS (Stability Augmentation System): this is an electronic "inner-loop" system that makes inputs into the flight control system (actually into the mixing unit through the pilot-assist module). You don't feel the inputs in the stick, which is why it's called "inner loop." SAS has fast reactions, but limited authority (10% total, at least on the Navy versions).

-Trim: This is an outer-loop system, in that the effects are felt in the controls. This is a slower reacting force, but has 100% authority (which kind of makes sense).

-Stabilator system: This is a fly-by-wire system that takes 4 inputs...Collective position, lateral acceleration (fancy words for the bubble of air that hits the stab at various speeds and control positions), airspeed, and pitch-rate. Basically, this is what makes a helicopter fly relatively level even when going fast AND helps keep the nose more level when decelerating.

-Mixing unit: This is MECHANICAL and pre-set. Basically, regardless if the head is spinning or not, any input into one of the three controls (pedals, collective or cyclic) causes inputs into the other two systems. This is to counter the various geometries of how the rotors are set up (among other things). So, as was mentioned, when you pull up on the collective, it actually causes cyclic input as well as pedal input. Likewise for each other control. You can actually feel the controls move sometimes when you move another control. Even if you have a complete T/R failure, if you move the pedals back and forth, you'll feel the aircraft pitch fore and aft because of mixing.

If you really want to get into the nitty-gritty of what each part of the mixing unit does, I can type it out, but it gets boring pretty quick. There's basically 4 (I think) mechanical mixing reactions, one electrical (for the T/R trim) and one aerodynamic reaction.

I understand this is beyond the realm of the Arma2 engine, but figured it might help with the confusion.

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

The H-60's tail rotor is mounted at an angle while the AH-64's tail rotor is mounted straight horizontal, so the H-60s have a unique requirement. I'd have to ask my father again but I'm pretty sure H-60s still need pedal inputs to counter collective and cyclic inputs (or maybe Gatordev can swing by and clarify for all of us?).

Re read the above and.... Mixing isn't just for the cant, it's also for the tractor (or push, depending on the system) force of the T/R. The Apache may have one less requirement because of the reason you stated, but there's other forces that can be countered with mixing.

Edited by gatordev