Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

Holy shite that looks amazing! That looks like a great work on textures and model, damn both!

Yes, well said.

And OT, that is one sweet looking project you all have going on. I for one will spend hours away from my wife playing in this bird.....and then I'll be back to doing house chores for her :)

Looking nice, as usual.

Kinda curious as i haven't seen anyone ask,

How is interaction with the MFD's done?

If you really want to start modding anything,there is really no reason to rip models, there are a lot of friendly people there that are always glad to help you for make one from scratch!

This is what I call Community.

And the screens looks superb!

Looking nice, as usual.

Kinda curious as i haven't seen anyone ask,

How is interaction with the MFD's done?

Via action menu with shortcut keys. We've made use of the Custom User actions for a number of things like page changing, while co-opting other actions like Binocular for burst control.

If you really want to start modding anything,there is really no reason to rip models, there are a lot of friendly people there that are always glad to help you for make one from scratch!

This is what I call Community.

And the screens looks superb!

I sometimes wonder what the problem is because if you need help or advice there are plenty of people in this community willing to help. It's almost as if people are afraid to ask questions, even in private.

this is apache DLC for take on helis? ;)

the quality is just superb, keep on doing magics!!!

Yeap, it will be DLC, free DLC that is ;)

But that is a ways away, when we make the shift to TKOH we want to use everything we can to enhance the addon rather than port it and just give it RTT.

I just have no words!! It's perfect as is. I can't see anything you need to improve. Maybe a standalone simulator, though? :)

I noticed that you've made "motioned" blades. Will it cause lack of pitch animations? You know what I mean. It will be strange effect if there will be motioned blades in angle. Don't know how to explain it more clear. Because of this reason I've decided not to make motion effect for blades on Mi-28.

Perfect? you're too kind, there is still much to be done to make it presentable up close. The blur segments have the same bone structure as the solid blades, so the animations follow the same path. Thickness is the key, you'll want to start the first segment as solid, or painted solid in this case (the actual polygon is wider than what you see) and taper the points up to the end, then weld the vertices on the tip together, this way it starts solid and remains relatively thick yet still tapers off as the blur increases.

Looking very, very nice Franze. The cockpit is looking pretty amazing. Your closing sentiments were nicely put too. Anyway good luck with the continuing work!

I sometimes wonder what the problem is because if you need help or advice there are plenty of people in this community willing to help. It's almost as if people are afraid to ask questions, even in private.

Because people want to do everything and fast. I can understand that. But what they wont understand is that the first model will always have a slow workflow and will always looks weird, second one will be better then the first, the third will be better then the second and so on. It's all about experience,if you just rip models instead of try to make one , you will never get enough skill to make a model from scratch. :)

Via action menu with shortcut keys. We've made use of the Custom User actions for a number of things like page changing, while co-opting other actions like Binocular for burst control.

It's a shame you never got the clickable cockpit working. :( Probably would have made life easier all around. :p Maybe in the future you can revisit it?

One or two pages perhaps but we're looking at 10 for the least, six of which are still being implimented. Then Franze is reworking the data storing and all sorts of stuff that we need to finish functionwise before thinking about much in way of more advanced interaction. Depending on how overhead goes in A2 it might be an entertaining idea later in, but for TKOH we will certainly be looking to see what all we can customize with user interaction.

Good news is that we've gotten past a major hurdle that has been holding us back (my fault, fell into a sort of depressive rut but now I'm back and enthusiastic!) so with any luck things will be more smooth from here.

Edited by NodUnit

It's a shame you never got the clickable cockpit working. :( Probably would have made life easier all around. :p Maybe in the future you can revisit it?

I think we will, without a doubt. At this stage there's a lot of irons in the fire and we kind of rotate between them, plus trying to get it done for an A2 release. It seems sometimes things just go quickly and easily, then other times it just will not cooperate no matter how much you put into it, y'know? Some things just end up on the backburner as a result, waiting for that 'oh yeah' moment. :)

I just have no words!! It's perfect as is. I can't see anything you need to improve. Maybe a standalone simulator, though? :)

I noticed that you've made "motioned" blades. Will it cause lack of pitch animations? You know what I mean. It will be strange effect if there will be motioned blades in angle. Don't know how to explain it more clear. Because of this reason I've decided not to make motion effect for blades on Mi-28.

The pitch effects are still there, they just don't show through very well in screenshots (since camera kills your controls). If you're aiming for as much detail as you can I think it's worthwhile but there will definitely be a switch to turn it off due to issues that NouberNou has pointed out to us with multiplayer and the animate command.

I think we will, without a doubt. At this stage there's a lot of irons in the fire and we kind of rotate between them, plus trying to get it done for an A2 release. It seems sometimes things just go quickly and easily, then other times it just will not cooperate no matter how much you put into it, y'know? Some things just end up on the backburner as a result, waiting for that 'oh yeah' moment. :)

Yah I know how that goes... :p Well if you ever need any help with the concept/design of getting it to work in A2 let me know. :)

Yah I know how that goes... :p Well if you ever need any help with the concept/design of getting it to work in A2 let me know. :)

I'll probably hit you up on that when the cockpits are done, right now still sorting out all the pages for the Ds.

Simple video showing rotor anims and how they work with the blur model.

Nice! really loving the progress but there are 3 things.

1) no clicking during start up? (I can't recall was causes it i think it was the Generator though.)

2) No cruise sound yet for the cockpit?

3) Who uses MSN still? :P

Keep up the good work guys, can't wait.

When I heard the old familiar sound of MSN, my mind and body were teleported out of this realm and thrust into the depths of what we call nostalgia, and I eventually came back questioning my life..

Good video!

Simple video showing rotor anims and how they work with the blur model.

Franze, I mention this because it was tough to tell in the video, so ignore as you see fit, but...

On the screen that shows the engines and rotors, the power turbines (the two lines on the outside of Nr) should be, for the most part, matched with Nr (the center column). It looked like they would sometimes go low when you picked up in the hover. Again, it was a quick glimpse, so I may have just seen it incorrectly, but thought I'd share. Generally, Nr can go higher than the power turbines, but the Np isn't normally going to go higher than Nr (since it's always driving the rotor to its speed).

looks cool. I'm guessing the no rotor sounds in the cockpit is just for test versions. Also I'm guessing that's stock BIS rotor sounds?

Nice! really loving the progress but there are 3 things.

1) no clicking during start up? (I can't recall was causes it i think it was the Generator though.)

2) No cruise sound yet for the cockpit?

3) Who uses MSN still? :P

Keep up the good work guys, can't wait.

No sounds at all yet, using BI AH-64 sounds for now.

Still using MSN for file transfers and that sort of thing. :p

Franze, I mention this because it was tough to tell in the video, so ignore as you see fit, but...

On the screen that shows the engines and rotors, the power turbines (the two lines on the outside of Nr) should be, for the most part, matched with Nr (the center column). It looked like they would sometimes go low when you picked up in the hover. Again, it was a quick glimpse, so I may have just seen it incorrectly, but thought I'd share. Generally, Nr can go higher than the power turbines, but the Np isn't normally going to go higher than Nr (since it's always driving the rotor to its speed).

This is because most of the stuff you see on the ENG page derives animation sources from two things: rotor RPM and torque. If it isn't linked to those two then it's just set on a simple timer based routine. There are hooks in the scripting for more complex engine management, but in the short term I needed to keep it simple to make sure all the animations worked as desired.

Note also that the helicopter starts up instantly with no APU, ENG1, or ENG2 start! :)

No sounds at all yet, using BI AH-64 sounds for now.

Maybe you can ask LordJarhead to make the sounds?

He makes very good work and i'm sure, his sounds would be an enrichment for your mod. ;D