Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

[SP] Day At The Airbase (A2 / AO)

Hi Guys,

New Version posted 06-Dec-10. Please find changelog and link(s) below. Added new objectives and many improvements.

This is a singleplayer mission ready to play. The idea is to have a taste of a number of combat roles for different aircraft, but roll it into one mission.

It was designed as a flying mission, however you can leave your vehicle in the helicopter missions to help out the ground forces if you wish. For each mission to end, you need to fly your aircraft or helicopter back to base and land at the specific locations marked on the map. After turning your engine off, an auto-teamswitch feature will be triggered which selects the next pilot and give you a new mission. There is a readme in the archive to tell you more about the mission.

Day At The Airbase:

Game version: ARMA2: Combined Operations.

Addons: None.

Version: v1.04 [Updated 06-Dec-10].

ss3.jpgss2.jpg

ss1.jpgss4.jpg

Features:

* Teamswitch [Auto\Manual] implemented.

* Featuring 4 aircraft: F35b, A10, Ah64, UH-60S.

* Live airbase [Thanks Ei8ght for the Fortress Template!! I modded it slightly with some ambient aircraft etc.]

* Custom Scripts for various mission features.

* Singleplayer only

* Up to 8 different objectives or side missions.

Note: On the helicopter missions, you can land and assault by foot [clear the areas], but the vehicle must be in a flyable state ie [canmove], otherwise the task will fail and the auto-teamswitch feature will kick in.

Day At The Airbase (@)

Alternative Link

CHANGE HISTORY

===============

Version | Date

v1.0 | 23-Sep-10

* Release Candidate.

v1.01| 26-Sep-10

* Hotfix Release to fix potential crew loading issues in MH60 support objective.

v1.02| 18-Nov-10

* Added new final mission "Defend Fortress".

* Added Xeno's clearcorpses script for dead body cleanup [+performance].

* Some more trigger fixes for tasks.

* [set as current objective] now works as it should (for tasks with definative location).

* Changed setdown locations for A10 and F35b to allow acccess of aircraft for final mission.

* Some scripting performance improvements.

v1.03| 22-Nov-10

*Action added to recruit a Co-Pilot if your origional is killed during the base defence mission.

v1.04| 06-Dec-10

*Further mission performance improvements.

*AI reduction and scripting improvements in objective 6.

*Co-Pilot recruiting scripts changed and improved for Airbase defense mission (objective 8).

CREDITS

=======

Ei8ght's excellent "Fortress" airbase template.

Kronsky for UPS script.

Mikey, SHK and Galzohar for briefing help & ideas.

BAS-f for readme form.

Xeno for his clearcorpses script.

Cabby77 for his mission testing & feedback.

kylania for scripting help.

Apologies to anyone else I accidently missed.

If you play it..please feel free to leave feedback, I hope you enjoy the mission. :)

Thanks again

Rough Knight

Edited by Rough Knight

Sounds like a great mission! I have been waiting for missions like this (air missions which let you choose from multiple planes/choppers). Will try it first thing when I get back home from work.

Good job!

I have troubles in getting the mission started. I board the Blackhawk and wait for troops to get in. But when I start flying, I get the message that not all troops or crew members are aboard. Have tried this many times now, always the same thing.

This is with the latest beta and ACE 1.5.

cannot get this to work with OA

you must tell people it works with combined operations only?

Hi Guys,

I have been away for the AFL grand final this weekend, so sorry about the late replies.

I have troubles in getting the mission started. I board the Blackhawk and wait for troops to get in. But when I start flying, I get the message that not all troops or crew members are aboard. Have tried this many times now, always the same thing.

Cabby, I have not experienced that before other than when all the troops have not boarded the helo. Maybe one or two are getting stuck behind something like a wall. I am certain there is no problem with the mission that would cause this. If this is the case, just fly the helo to near them and they will jump on board. I haven't tested the mission with ACE, but I doubt if that is causing the problem for you either, you could however try without ACE and then report back as to whether the problem still exists for you. You can also try the other parts of the mission by teamswitching manually to one of the other pilots, you don't have to get stuck on the first mission.

you must tell people it works with combined operations only?

Directly from the readme:

06. REQUIRED ADDONS

===================

To play this mission the following addons are required:

ARMA2.

ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead.

Also I guess thats what I meant in the title:

(A2 + OA)

To save any future confustion I will add another section to the main post.

played it twice now. great mission.

more of this, please!

Thanks, it also illustrates that Cabby has something strange happening. I am glad you enjoyed it : )

Please continue to feedback any other issues. I have tested this mission very extensively, so there should not be any major bugs.

Thanks again

Rough Knight

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

New Version 1.01 released

v1.01| 26-Sep-10

* Hotfix Release to fix potential crew loading issues in MH60 support objective.

This release hopefully resolves the issue cabby was having.

As a side note Cabby..You can actually carry on with the mission even if all the insertion squad do not embark on the chopper [although there is no reason they shouldn't].

The message you where getting is just a hint, it doesnt mean it will effect the mission outcome other than you will have fewer re-inforcements to help carry out the objective.

Anyway, I hope you can play the mission now.

Thanks

Rough Knight

Edited by Rough Knight

Hi Guys,

Maybe the wrong avenue to ask this question, but is this sort of mission best written as a campaign?

In the campaign format I can probably achieve a better FPS result as you then can limit the number of AI more effectively.

I find the number of AI drasticly effect the mission performance. I have never written a campaign before, so that would be an experience. It wouldnt probably be a campaign where one mission success or failure effects the outcome of the campaign, at least not in its current format.

My thoughts are I will just leave the mission as is and maybe concentrate on a new campaign of a similar nature for the flyboys out there.

A penny for your thoughts?

Thanks

Rough Knight.

PS: An update [v1.02] is coming soon with a new mission and some more fixes and improvements, I have had some positive feedback on armaholic.:yay:

PPS: Thanks cabby77 for your feedback, I have credited you in the next version based on your PM's :)

Edited by Rough Knight

New Version posted guys [Well really 3 updates in one]. Here is the changelog.

v1.02| 18-Nov-10

* Added new final mission "Defend Fortress".

* Added Xeno's clearcorpses script for dead body cleanup [+performance].

* Some more trigger fixes for tasks.

* [set as current objective] now works as it should (for tasks with definative location).

* Changed setdown locations for A10 and F35b to allow acccess of aircraft for final mission.

* Some scripting performance improvements.

v1.03| 22-Nov-10

*Action added to recruit a Co-Pilot if your origional is killed during the base defence mission.

v1.04| 06-Dec-10

*Further mission performance improvements.

*AI reduction and scripting improvements in objective 6.

*Co-Pilot recruiting scripts changed and improved for Airbase defense mission (objective 8).

CREDITS

===========

Ei8ght's excellent "Fortress" airbase template.

Kronsky for UPS script.

Mikey, SHK and Galzohar for briefing help & ideas.

BAS-f for readme form.

Xeno for his clearcorpses script.

Cabby77 for his mission testing & feedback.

Apologies to anyone else I accidently missed.

kylania for scripting help.

Thanks again

Rough Knight

Tried this today, it looks great but for me it's unplayable. My pc can handle most other missions but this lags so much it's very hard to fly. Is it just me?

Hi Dave317,

I had a look at the mission again and you do need a pretty decent machine to run and play it smoothly.

I installed the "Fortress" template on my old machine and it immediatley took a 25fps dive (it's not that great a machine) i.e. from 55 to 27 fps. That's pretty heavy, and also that is without the initial AI and scripted AI that come into the game for different missions. The mission itself cleans up many obsolete and dead units once missions are over.

In the airbase template, I am not sure how many editor objects there are but it may be the problem that there are just simply hundreds (if not in the 1 or 2 thousands) of editor placed objects. I will see if I can play with the template and figure why the massive hit with fps but I suspect this is why.

My decent machine runs the mission at 35 fps minimum however, so I wonder on your machine specification. What rig have you got?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do.

Frosty.

Edited by Rough Knight

Hi Frosty thanks for the reply. I'm running an amd athlon 64 6000+ 3.1 ghz processor with a nvidia gtx 260 card and 4 gb of ram. It's not ligntning quick but it seems to handle most other missions very well. I tried the a10 mission which was alot smoother than the 2 chopper ones.

@J fost,

Nice mission. One annoyed thing is that you didn't optimize it, as the mission going on, the FPS drop too much, I think there must be too much active units consump the CPU. So my suggestion is that trigger and spawn the enemies for each task

Although it actually plays ok for me I have been playing around removing the Fortress airbase template and get a massive rate of rise with fps which may relieve the frustration of some.

I have to re-configure the airbase into something which looks and feels like a real airbase, that should then relieve those problems from those having them.

There are not to much AI on the map, the mission does cleanup after itself, I may have to reduce the AI on the last mission however as the airbase would be able to be breached much more easily.

I'll work on a new version to hopefully realease around the weekend.

Thanks

Frosty

Don't suppose you ever thought about releasing the airbase template did you? This is a great mission but without a doubt the thing that captivated me the most was the sheer complexity and detail of the airbase! It's really nice, my templates are all rubbish lol.

Hi Mate,

Lol I can't take credit for the airbase, that was built by Ei8ght and can be downloaded here.

I did nearly finish a new update for this mission, but have been busy with my Carrier-Ops Duala campiagn.

Yeah, he did an awesome job. I made a few mods to allow planes to land because some of them clip the barriers at the end of the runway. He may have resolved that in the new version 1.0 however?

Thanks

Rough Knight.

Love this mission! Anyone else find it very hard? I was playing on Veteran so I'll try turning it lower next time.

I almost had forgotten about this mission. I am glad you are enjoying it, let me know how your performance goes as some felt it was pretty taxing on their system.

If you like this mission, have you tried my carrier operations mission in my signature. Many of the missions are based on "Day at the airbase's" objectives. Only thing is it uses a few addons which was unavoidable.

Cool thanks I'll give your other mission a shot! Performance for me was ok. I lowered one of my settings (object detail), so it's not as high as I usually play it on OA maps, and more in line with how I play on Chernarus. Still looks nice though. I also tried it on lower difficulty and I wupped them :) So I'm glad I can go through the difficulty levels now to push myself. It's a shame missions like this aren't more integrated with the game, because anyone who doesn't know about modding is really missing out! This is just one mission and yet alone, it almost transforms this game in to a flight sim :P