Sign in to follow this  
Deemsee

Flashing white screen-game unplayable

Has anyone got a solution for this?

Whilst playing the screen turns a blinding white and flashes...it's like having a spotlight in your face and no amount of turning or adjusting video memory seems to help.

I've updated to the latest patch and I'm running on an Radeon HD4870X2

I'd really appreciate some help!

I get this a bit with my 4870x2, i found HDR 16 or 32 and PP off pretty much gets rid of it, still occasionally does it but its playable now.

I get this a bit with my 4870x2, i found HDR 16 or 32 and PP off pretty much gets rid of it, still occasionally does it but its playable now.

thanks...how do I change the HDR setting?

Hey Dude, question for you, is the number in the cfg for example,

the higher the number the less HDR, or the lower, ect, know what Im asking?

As right now mine says:

HDRPrecision=8;

but i dont have white screen or flashing ect, Im just trying to figure out how to

turn the hdr down so that when you go from light to dark or vice versa it isn't so erratic

where its a huge change, i wish i can just turn it off I really dont care for it.

hey mate its higher number = sharper (or more accurate) HDR effect, it seems that way for me anyway.

Edited by NevilleBartos

Thanks Dude...it helped. Sort of.

I'm with Gunter on this one, I'd like to turn HDR off completely..it seems to be borked for ATI cards...

If any BIS staff are reading this...any chance for a hotfix?

I can pay you in beer :bounce3:

It does seem to work,

i did a test where I set the time of day to like mid after noon, and was by some buildings,

and I noticed when i looked at the sun that the dimming isn't as much, it seems more suttle,

or less, and then when i look the oppisite the sun (east) then it gets brighter,

but not by much, and i have the HDRPrecision=16;.

I also tried a different scenerio with a soldier in a spotlight, and i looked int to the spotlight at night,

and you still go somewhat blind but only after you dont look anymore, it goes like pitch black,

so i can only assume that with a higher number that it wouldn't be as strong of course your

looking into a spotlight what you expect, but it did help with the sun aspect.

well, I just solved it...sort of anyway.

My rig (AMD Quad core with 4870X2, Win XP) simply cannot deal with this game.

I tried it on my kids PC, (another AMD quad core but with a 3870X2 on Windows 7) runs it like a treat.

Win 7 = good

4870X2 =bad

I think this really does deserve a patch from the devs..this is simply a compatibility issue that should have been picked up in testing.

Truth be told, I'm really really sick of the shonky quality PC releases of the last few years.

A working product, straight out of the box is clearly the exception to the rule these days. If producers and devs spent half the time and energy on quality of product, instead of futile anti-piracy shenanigans, I'm sure that would be reflected in sales.

oh well...

I tried it on my kids PC, (another AMD quad core but with a 3870X2 on Windows 7) runs it like a treat.

Win 7 = good

4870X2 =bad

I think this really does deserve a patch from the devs..this is simply a compatibility issue that should have been picked up in testing.

Truth be told, I'm really really sick of the shonky quality PC releases of the last few years.

A working product, straight out of the box is clearly the exception to the rule these days. If producers and devs spent half the time and energy on quality of product, instead of futile anti-piracy shenanigans, I'm sure that would be reflected in sales.

oh well...

I use two 4870x2s, game runs fine.

32HDR is best, and Default Video Memory setting in game.

10.4a 0r 10.9ahotfix are the Drivers you should be using. all the rest are garbage for the 4870x2. This is a ATI issue (they sux) with some AI cat "enhancement" for CF...

Win 7 = good

4870X2 =bad

oh well...

It's not the game but the video card. I had the same issue and found that default memory setting caused the flashes for me and by turning it too high or normal eliminated this . Also you need to turn catalyst a.i. to high for crossfire to work. Just my experiences and I run a lan set up with 6 computers with various hardware configs.

It's not the game but the video card. I had the same issue and found that default memory setting caused the flashes for me and by turning it too high or normal eliminated this . Also you need to turn catalyst a.i. to high for crossfire to work. Just my experiences and I run a lan set up with 6 computers with various hardware configs.
CF works on standard or high. It just has to be on. For me and the the way the game uses Vidram, over 512MB should use default. This is with ATi, The real fix is using 32HDR.

This problem has existed since June, last year.

Every time they release a patch/beta patch it will mystically go away or come back again. I really hoped they'd have fixed it by now, also using a 4870x2 and nothing seems to work.

Basically, it happpens when I go above 60fps, forcing the game on max settings for everything works, but in areas with not much details or indoors, fps goes to 60 and the flickering occurs, absolutely unplayable. It brings a new meaning to epilepsy warnings!

Waiting for the next gen of cards to come out as I can't warrant replacing my card as it still plays everything perfectly fine. Until then, no solutions posted by other people have fixed it for me :(

I just wait for patches to come out and hope it goes away like it has some times.

I was using 10.4 until last night when I decided to upgrade to the newest (10.9) and experienced this flashing. Has anybody experienced this with any card other than the 4870X2?

So from reading this thread I gather I should firstly use 10.9a, second put the HDR to at least 16.

Also, since we're all here, anyone else find anything that got them extra performance on the 4870X2?

By the way, where can I find the 10.9a drivers?

Edited by [RIP] Alan.rio

Alan.rio;1768450']I was using 10.4 until last night when I decided to upgrade to the newest (10.9) and experienced this flashing. Has anybody experienced this with any card other than the 4870X2?

So from reading this thread I gather I should firstly use 10.9a' date=' second put the HDR to at least 16.

Also, since we're all here, anyone else find anything that got them extra performance on the 4870X2?

By the way, where can I find the 10.9a drivers?[/quote'] yes the 10.9a is the one to use;

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst109Hotfix.aspx

this is for any 4xxx CF/CFX set up

And yes i have had the flashing on a few different MultiGPU setups NVDA included.

For me its default vidmem, and 32hdr to limit it. its a nonfactor after they are set up.

10.9a isn't supported on XP. :(

Yes..as it looks-they don't

I have a 5970 and when i installed the 10.9 i got the "flashing" problem-

..so i got back to cd-packed drivers (8.xx i think..)..but i m sure the CF doesn't work.

Unfortunately..i saw this post about HDR adjustments,after reinstalling

the "old" drivers.

So..10.9 (winXP) its good driver(?)-and it does make the CF to work??..or do i have to rename the .exe??