Sign in to follow this  
xeno

ACE 1.5 (Advanced Combat Environment) for OA/CO

Welcome back Sickboy, Rocko, Xeno.

Welcome back indeed guys. I got a warm fuzzy feeling when I saw your names back in the BIF. Hehe.

I reintalled Arma2 OA (Standalone), copied @CBA, @CBA_OA, @ACE, extracted userconfig, moved the folder to userconfig at main arma folder, copied @ACEX, @ACEX_SM.

Loaded using:

"...Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -mod=@CBA;@CBA_OA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM

after CD check, just before starting, i get the following error message: ACE2 (Addon 'acex_veh_air_wep' requires addon 'ace_module_easa'

the game then loads and inside, i get another error message:

No entry

'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicle/Ace_USBasicAmmunitionBox.scope'

and this keeps bumping from time to time, like for example after loading the editor.....

@CBA_OA - .version 2

@ACE - .version 399

@ACEX - .version 272

@ACEX_SM - .version 47

Please Help!

Thanks guys, i'm not really 'back' though. Just said hello, thanks, and fixed my sig.

I/we work mods, not conversation :D

Edited by Sickboy

The MP synchronised wind is really cool stuff, adds a bit more atmosphere to it all (also stuff like smoke grenades and the like have become more effective as a result)

I'm not huge on the M16 replacement (the front sight post always looked way too chunky to me) but each to their own

Alright, as I understand it, ACE increases recoil for many weapons. However, now that BI's beta patch recoil system has introduced helium-emitting cartridges that cause the end of your rifle to become as buoyant as a small hot air balloon, automatic fire is utterly uncontrollable. Since the beta patch is all packaged together, I was hoping that I could somehow undo ACE's changes to recoil to compensate for BI's funny ideas. Is there some config I could extract and edit or some .pbo I could delete?

Using Arma2 with an old ACE stable build.

Can anyone tell me how to use the tripwire explosives and the M2 slam, I can't figure out how to get them to work like I did on ACE with ARMA 2. No menu comes up after I plant those types of explosives.

I'm not huge on the M16 replacement (the front sight post always looked way too chunky to me) but each to their own

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/acex/repository/revisions/3cdcca591c1234689b62e73e280ebe34eb77f787

"m16a2 front post thinner" :)

Alright, as I understand it, ACE increases recoil for many weapons. However, now that BI's beta patch recoil system has introduced helium-emitting cartridges that cause the end of your rifle to become as buoyant as a small hot air balloon, automatic fire is utterly uncontrollable. Since the beta patch is all packaged together, I was hoping that I could somehow undo ACE's changes to recoil to compensate for BI's funny ideas. Is there some config I could extract and edit or some .pbo I could delete?

Using Arma2 with an old ACE stable build.

Which version are you running? Maybe try chatting with q1184, as I think he would know about recoil bsns.

Can anyone tell me how to use the tripwire explosives and the M2 slam, I can't figure out how to get them to work like I did on ACE with ARMA 2. No menu comes up after I plant those types of explosives.

This no longer works?

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Explosives+howto

If it is an issue please make a ticket with repro and rpt.

Which version are you running? Maybe try chatting with q1184, as I think he would know about recoil bsns.

QUOTE]

I'm not sure I would understand his chatting. :p

I would like to raise a question to the ACE team about the Abrams armor protection... or lack thereof

I was playing the "Steel Panthers" scenario from OA. I was engaging the wave of enemy T72s from about ~1,800 meters

when my tank was destroyed by a fatal hit to my frontal armor.... from a T72.... from 1,800 meters? It was not a ATGM

as all the IFV's were already destroyed, and while I was not hull down, heck, I shouldn't need to be if my forward arc

is facing them.

I'm just wondering if you intend to address this issue. The reality is the Arams especially after the DU upgrade is virtually impervious to enemy (or even friendly) fire from the forward arc and side turret and still extremely well protected from the sides.

There are stories of enemy fire from as close as 400 meters failing to do more than put a groove in the forward armor. Also there is the story where

several M1's could barely destroy another Abrams stuck in the mud (Tom Clancy's Armored Cav pgs 57-58)

If the current damage model is by design and done for purposes of game balance I can understand, (although I disagree :P)

And, I am NOT saying make it an invincible uber tank, but I definitely think that it should be made so that frontal shots have very little, if any chance of penetration

in order to force side and rear shots... Also susceptibility to damage from IED's (especially VBIEDS) and greater rear/top rear vulnerability is also acceptable.

oh and fyi I was running ACE 2 1.5 stable

There are always weak points, hence penetration is all about probability.

And doesn't the ACE T-72B carry an ATGM?

it may, but I don't believe the mentioned T-72's carry them, or aren't T72B's as I have never (with or without the ACE2 mod) seen them fire a missile... ever. It was a cannon shot.

And while you raise an excellent point that it is about probability, then the probability should be greatly reduced of getting a killing shot (or even penetrating shot) from the front, let alone from that distance.

I don't think 1800 meters is too far for a tank, even an older one. You dying doesn't necessarily mean your tank was penetrated or that you lost any major components. I'd wager only half your crew died and the Abrams didn't burn.

As the game system is only a representation of reality, it's just as likely that part of your gunnery scope flew off and hit you in the forehead. The armor system is designed to be used with the wounding system, allowing for things like concussions an injuries from the shock of impact alone.

Edit: And now you made me want to test it. I've been sitting here doing my homework for like five minutes while a T-72B hits the front of my Abrams with short-rod penetrators from 1000m. He ran through his entire supply of them, and then his first HEAT round caused injuries to my whole crew. (Apparently getting hit with a copper slug at 25 times the speed of sound rattles your teeth a little.) Forgot to enable ACE wounding and I'm using an old 1.2 build but I don't think any tanks have been nerfed since then. We'll wait until he runs out and missiles.

Looks like the fourth HEAT round killed everyone, except maybe the loader. It can take half a dozen before the crew gets hurt, and then the next round usually finishes you all off. No damage to the tank, though.

The Refleks usually doesn't penetrate either. But if it does, your tank and everyone in it are fucked.

As for the T-90, it's long-rod penetrator is something to be worried about, although I sometimes survive a long series of hits. The Invar-M, however, is something you never want to see bouncing towards you.

Really, ACE balances things admirably. For example, the Abrams outclasses the T-90, but if you engage at, say, four kilometers, your APFSDS won't hit very hard and that slow, slow missile will sidle right up and that'll be the end of you.

Edited by maturin

I would like to raise a question to the ACE team about the Abrams armor protection... or lack thereof

I was playing the "Steel Panthers" scenario from OA. I was engaging the wave of enemy T72s from about ~1,800 meters

when my tank was destroyed by a fatal hit to my frontal armor.... from a T72.... from 1,800 meters? It was not a ATGM

as all the IFV's were already destroyed, and while I was not hull down, heck, I shouldn't need to be if my forward arc

is facing them.

I'm just wondering if you intend to address this issue. The reality is the Arams especially after the DU upgrade is virtually impervious to enemy (or even friendly) fire from the forward arc and side turret and still extremely well protected from the sides.

There are stories of enemy fire from as close as 400 meters failing to do more than put a groove in the forward armor. Also there is the story where

several M1's could barely destroy another Abrams stuck in the mud (Tom Clancy's Armored Cav pgs 57-58)

If the current damage model is by design and done for purposes of game balance I can understand, (although I disagree :P)

And, I am NOT saying make it an invincible uber tank, but I definitely think that it should be made so that frontal shots have very little, if any chance of penetration

in order to force side and rear shots... Also susceptibility to damage from IED's (especially VBIEDS) and greater rear/top rear vulnerability is also acceptable.

oh and fyi I was running ACE 2 1.5 stable

Long story short:

Lots of people say the Abrams is overpowered and other people say it's underpowered.

Abrams front hull armor is equal to 590 mm RHA vs KE ammunition and 770 mm RHA vs CE ammunition. Makes it pretty vulnerable to most of the Russian APFSDS ammunition.

The BI M1A2 TUSK-a-like model is pretty much fucked up modelwise, so don't try this one.

Really, ACE balances things admirably. For example, the Abrams outclasses the T-90, but if you engage at, say, four kilometers, your APFSDS won't hit very hard and that slow, slow missile will sidle right up and that'll be the end of you.

There is no balance set up by ACE. Most of the weapons ingame are ineffective if fired upon the Abrams front turret. Nevertheless a hit to the front hull or the rest of the tank will destroy it.

Same old rule as always: See first, kill first.

Hello together, i have once again the bug with the distance marker.

OyGrQEhJFZelpVS.jpg

He doesent shows me the distance, i have this issue on all devices what can i do?

I loaded the battery and then left clicked somewhere

Thanks!

Clawhammer, Press R to load the battery, and left click to activate.

Are you sure you have the right batteries?

and are you sure you have ran out of juice

Yeah Clawhammer, it should just be the battery thing. It normally looks like that until I hit the r key to load the battery.

@Maturin - That is a very interesting discovery there Maturin, weird. You are definitely right as far as kinetic penetrators losing lethality over range. Generally after 2,800-3k meters kinetic is not going to get you anywhere. While apparently the heat is somehow killing you despite not penetrating (is the heat round defeating the armor?)

@King Homer - I agree about highly polarized parties over discussions of very powerful in game vehicles/weapons/stuff/etc :P I remember the debates about what was a true representation of the Tiger Tank and the JS2 in Red Orchestra (a game based of the unreal engine) and one side would say nerf it, the other side would say its too weak!

However, Maturins experiment results run counter to real life instances (in a story in the book I referred to in my first post there is an example of a Abrams taking several hits to its frontal arc with heat rounds to no effect.) Also the DU layer alone is estimated to be equivalent to up to 610mm of RHA. And while it maybe around ~590mm you have to take into consideration the angle that a round would be striking it, being generous, maybe 30 degrees... that is a lot of armor. This really only leaves the lower hull which is still around 590mm. So to say that striking from anywhere other than front turret will kill it is hardly the most accurate thing.

Edited by berbinator

While apparently the heat is somehow killing you despite not penetrating

Shock waves and spall.

(in a story in the book I referred to in my first post there is an example of a Abrams taking several hits to its frontal arc with heat rounds to no effect.)

I withstood five or six as well. And all HEAT rounds are not created equal. I doubt that Iraqi tanks were using state-of-the-art ammunition.

Also the DU layer alone is estimated to be equivalent to up to 610mm of RHA.

Versus what? It's a virtual rating that varies greatly between Kinetic and Chemical Energy weapons. The Russians have ATGMs with stated 900mm of penetration, for example.

Shock waves and spall

I guess I should have clarified that there was no injury to the crew from the aforementioned hits... as to the inefficacy of Iraqi HEAT rounds vs Soviet that is an excellent point.

As regarding the DU RHA equivalent I am inclined to believe that it is versus KE penetrators as they went on to talk about the great density of DU (which would really only be useful to stop kinetic energy penetration.)

Guys I have a quick question, does the ACE clientside_config part where it has "John Doe" overwrite an identity in the description.ext? If so is there a way to change that?

Guys I have a quick question, does the ACE clientside_config part where it has "John Doe" overwrite an identity in the description.ext? If so is there a way to change that?

AFAIK not. But you will overwrite the identity needed by the script if you use

setIdentity in order to be able to wear any goggle.

Unless it's a singleplayer mission, then the identity does not matter.

Custom identities are not touched.

Yeah Clawhammer, it should just be the battery thing. It normally looks like that until I hit the r key to load the battery.

I pressed r (After pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+R) to reload the battery, the text masseage in the right upper (where the counter with the ammo is) corner is green after pressing r so i thing/so i hope the battery is right and loaded. And i belive the battery i get autmaticly by taking the devices shoud be the right or?

thanks for help!