Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

Which respawn method do you like?

What is your favorite respawn method in coops?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite respawn method in coops?

• Bird - No respawn
    • Group - Respawn into existing AI group members
    • Base - Unlimited respawns at a specific point
    • Revive - Norrin's pride and joy
    • ACE - Not respawn, fancy medical scripts that require ACE

What type of respawn method do you like when you play coop missions online (besides domination/evolution type missions)? The real question is, what type of respawn type will produce the least amount of complaining among the masses :)

For me, when I join a server with good teamplay and comm I preffer the revive system

But, most of them dont care about teamplay so, respawn at base or AI, doesnt matter

ACE is the best

I chose base. Assuming it included ambulances and medical bays as a respawn point too, in addition to strongpoints and main bases (like warfare)

Custom. My dream respawn system is Base Respawn with a custom timer depending on how quickly you tend to die. I want Domination elements of spawning in the field, but there should be an impact for doing so, i.e. getting the same equipment you died with (incl ammo count per mag). Also you should spawn as bird when all lives was depleted, and slots with emptied lives should not show up in the MP joining screen. Furthermore I'd like to see elements from revive, but where in some cases (smashing into ground from high altitude, nearby explosions, head shots etc) it meant a full respawn (impossible to revive). A wounds/bleeding system where you also had possibility to stop bleeding using common medical equipment, and medics could only heal you partially (fix parts but not general health status, meaning the next shot will hurt more). So now I'm with ACE wounds.

For some hardcore missions, bird respawn seems to work pretty good.

So there is no perfect alternatives, at least for me. A lot needs to be scripted, and some needs addons.

A normal mission with no "capture the country with your 7 buddies" should have no respawn.

I had to choose Bird - no respawn. Playing with one life really makes you play differently :) Although I'd have to say I'd augment it with something like ACE medical system over that. I've never actually used it (hardly ever do MP) but I've seen Youchoobs of it and it looks pretty nice.

Revive is awesome, it makes the ppl stick together as a group even more.

Another thing is the 'no enemy around' respawn on another player from Insurgency. If the enemy is too strong you cant respawn anywhere else than base.

Base with script that gates open only when at least 3 players are inside the spawn zone. The gates can be opened from outside anytime.

I like revive, as it gives the medics something to do/some element of 'heroism' but I just don't like Norrin's scripts (though I have much respect for his efforts) I don't like the revive camera, with the ugly black bars, I think the GUI needs a rethink personally.

I much prefer the default BIS advanced medical system.

Ideally I'd prefer a system where the team leader can drop a fallback position eg: a backpack heap, where the squad respawns. Representing a squad downing bergens/heavy equipment before an engagement. So far I haven't seen anything like this, though I guess it's similar to spawn on team leader.

I had to choose Bird - no respawn. Playing with one life really makes you play differently :) Although I'd have to say I'd augment it with something like ACE medical system over that. I've never actually used it (hardly ever do MP) but I've seen Youchoobs of it and it looks pretty nice.

bis medical is actually better than ace's, in ace potentially everybody is a medic

I like group respawn.

bis medical is actually better than ace's, in ace potentially everybody is a medic

Because soldiers irl receive no medical training whatsoever :rolleyes:

Can be changed with modules anyways.

Ideally I'd prefer a system where the team leader can drop a fallback position eg: a backpack heap, where the squad respawns. Representing a squad downing bergens/heavy equipment before an engagement. So far I haven't seen anything like this, though I guess it's similar to spawn on team leader.

I'm considering something like this for my alpha assault and bravo support teams (but not for charlie weapons [MG/Heavy Tubes], delta sniperteam or echo SF/CSW teams) in Domino. Those squad leaders "perk" in the past was based on a radio simulation (which I'm no longer able to implement due to switch to kbTell system), so I have to come up with a replacement "perk".

The idea is that having a squad leader around (he doesn't get much weaponry, and all he gets is a dummy ruck for radio) should make it easier on those choosing the grunt roles. Grunts are more easy to replace than specialized and trained snipers or special forces units.

Technically, it's the same as BASE_RESPAWN, but where you have to choose where to respawn; Base (but limited ways to get back out there), The Only MHQ (HMMWV MEV), or Deployed Squad flag (only for two of the teams) or whatever.

But right now, it's just an idea at the back of my head.

I like group respawn.

Because soldiers irl receive no medical training whatsoever :rolleyes:

Can be changed with modules anyways.

exactly why bis system works just fine for the "GAME"

normal soldiers can first aid until the injured unit get to the medic

for a "magic healing"

on topic

group respawn and bis medic modules for larger co ops or just no respawn for smaller scale "old school" missions

this vote is daft anyway all respawn types have there place in different mission/ game types

Revive is what I consider best for public games, mainly because people group together much better, like ArmA 2 is suppose to be like. However, the ACE method gives a more realistic and interesting way of "respawning" in

a private match where people actually bothers to do more "complicated" tasks, like giving morphine, bandages, etc.

In Co-Op missions I like a system that emphasizes revive over respawn or no respawn at all.

When you have unlimited respawns then the goal is less on a combined teamed accomplished to a more inevitable individual accomplishment. As an example, say that the goal is to blow up an objective and that goal is guarded by a certain number of AI troops. Well, I know that if I spawn endlessly, then it's just a matter of me having to keep killing a few AI each time I spawn and eventually I will succeed in killing them all and blowing up the objective.

When I can't respawn, then I have to be more careful and I have to be more attuned to what my team mates are doing because it will be very risky to attempt to complete the objective solely on my own. If I get killed, then I am one less for my team to use in completing the goal and that makes their efforts harder or maybe impossible. However, a good mission design means that there is no guarantee that I won't get killed despite my best efforts while completing my teams goal. So, there is more "drama" and more "tension" possible... but accidents happen and when they do it's no fun that the game has to end.

This is where it is nice to a revive option, but not one so simple and so effortless that you push a button and "erase" the accident, that is almost as bad as unlimited respawns. It should mean something to have to stop and maybe focus less on the team goal and make a new goal that focuses on getting team members out of trouble and restore the team strength before continuing. I think that does more to increase the "story telling" element and multiplies the value of the experience beyond just playing a mission and blowing up the objective.

Edited by Spamurai

The same respawn type that the mission was designed for... But overall Bird if the mission scales based on number of players, and Group if it doesn't.

I went for Revive as I tend to play small team coop and it suits the missions better. It really depends on players' thirst for reality, so my ideal would be staged treatment - for small wounds yourself/teammate can dress, larger wounds need a defined medic to heal (possibly only in a deployed MASH at an emergency RZ with the heap of backpacks etc), then finally a mortal wound/death where base respawn occurs. Maybe this could be modded to be selectable via slider at the game start - one extreme allowing arcadey 'instant healing', while the other end is instant death/welcome to life as a bird after taking a shot, and smaller wounds seriously impacting player ability.

Doubt you will satisfy everyone, and to be honest sometimes I want to get back to the action quickly and sometimes am happy to see how things pan out without me in the squad.

No respawn or waking up in a medic tent/MASH away from the combat zone. Just feels very wrong and non-immersive to be respawned just by teammate/or in a base. (For testing and for fun matches its ok.)

The Base respawn would be good under ideal circumstances; that is, if the First Aid modules wouldn't bug out the second you respawn as well as the enemy becoming unresponsive due to a setcaptive bug. This goes for any kind of respawn though I guess, except of course Norrin's revive script as it completely skips the first aid modules and includes its own system (and the same probably goes for the ACE scripts but I wouldn't know about that; never played on ACE).

If the first aid modules would be fixed at some point, or respawning in general really (ie more integrated into the game, perhaps the same way the artillery works now: First Aid module should perhaps be on by default and you can turn it off mission-side for all units or selected/named units), then respawning in any form would be greatly improved. As it stands, respawning always comes with a certain degree of annoyance because you know things will start not working properly anymore.

Try playing a mission with first aid module on the enemies and you'll realize how ridicules it is and why it's not on by default. Then again when used on players in long coop missions it does bring gameplay benefits at the cost of a lot of realism.

I like both. A respwan base and advanced medical stuff.

I would just have been great if they also had ready backpacks at base you could pick up that already included everything adv medical stuff you needed.

As for first aid module on enemy AI there are some mission where it could be useful. Like "Where is Waldo" on the target and instead have a time limit until he died of blood loss or similar.

I chose Group but Bird is also okay. When I implement the built-in first aid modules in my custom maps, I assign them to units with a low chance they will activate which helps make it a little more realistic while still giving players a reason to stick together.