Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

First Downloadable Game But Not Impressed

Today I downloaded my first game through Sprocket (British Armed Forces), albeit an expansion. Now, I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive about it as I didn't really understand how downloading games legally worked, :p although when I launched the Sproket.exe I had a good idea how things would pann out. However, when nothing happened after BAF had downloaded I was thinking WTF? Anyway, I fired up OA and selected the expansions option & saw BAF was indeed there (at least listed) but it was displayed as being 'lite' & the illuminating button option 'buy now' was flashing before my eyes :/

I was not impressed to say the least as my sceptism had proved to be right. I tried to relaunch spocket.exe, althought I got the "already downloaded" crap, or words to that affect.

So, the automatic installation had obviously failed, which I'm kind of glad of, as I downloaded the good old fashioned solid installation .exe file through Spocket & had absolutely no problems whatsoever in installing BAF :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since creating this thread you'll see from a few of the replies that I've received quite a lot of heat from a few aggravated members who seem to take issue with me posting my experience & critising the serious flaw with the downloader.

Edited by Infiltrator_2K
inserted additional information

You have to find out where the exe placed some file and click it to activate the mod.(I cant remember where it was)

Weird, you must have done something wrong or not read directions.

I downloaded it fine a week ago. You still have to execute the file to activate the mod and have it installed.

You're not impressed because you didn't bother to figure out how to install it properly?

Once you pay for the game, you will be redirected back to SprocketIdea.com and you will download a small file "sprocket.exe". This is the downloader that will manage the actual data transfer from our servers to your computer.

When you run sprocket.exe it will connect to the server (depending on the choices you made during the ordering process, with regard to the language version and file mirror) and start downloading the installation file. You can pause or cancel the download at any time. The downloader can resume broken downloads.

When the download is complete, the downloader runs the installation.

Source.

Its supposed to work like that, but there might be something stopping it from running automatically. Like anti-virus programs and the like.

You're not impressed because you didn't bother to figure out how to install it properly?

This, read the instructions dude. :rolleyes:

This did not just happen!

I mean, you downloaded it twice because you couldn't be bothered to manually click on the FOLDERS to locate the install?

Edited by Cole

Look in "my documents" for a folder called "sprocket", then install it !

You have to say to say though, its not a very intuitive process for most gamers.

You shouldn't have to look up instructions in how to install something. Either way, I'm very happy with Sprocket.

You shouldn't have to look up instructions in how to install something.

You should if you don't know how to/can't get it to install.

LOL well put.

Failed installation, mine nothing happened.. If successful installation, there would be a BAF logo located at the bottom left hand corner when launched OA

You should if you don't know how to/can't get it to install.

Fully agreed, Im not defending the threadstarter, just saying that the installation is needlessly complex.

Edited by sparks50

This, read the instructions dude. :rolleyes:

What instructions? there are none

Look in "my documents" for a folder called "sprocket".

Cheers, although you'd think it would have put itself in the ArmA2 folder somewhere - I never selected that location :mad: neither did the installer inform me it was downloading the file to that location. I never choose that location & I never wanted it there :mad:

Figure out? why should anyone have to figure out a flawed system when they paid for a trouble free service! Properly? the automatic installer failed, that was the "properly" way of installing BAF :rolleyes:

Source.

Its supposed to work like that, but there might be something stopping it from running automatically. Like anti-virus programs and the like.

Yeah, it would have been nice if it would of worked, better still if it informed me where the file was going

This did not just happen!

I mean, you downloaded it twice because you couldn't be bothered to manually click on the FOLDERS to locate the install?

Folders? what folders? I have thousands of folders on my PC - My Documents is exactly what it says on the tin, they're my documents, with files I have that are important & confidential to me, I never wanted the install to put itself in "my documents" so the last place I'd ever look is "my document"

lol!! Too funny...

What's too funny? your alias? or the fact that you're not aware that there are NO INSTRUCTIONS so it might not be so funny afterall :rolleyes:

The bottom line is the downloader's automatic installer failed & the downloader never asked my permision, nor did it inform me where it was putting the installation file. The "how it works" section of Sprocket's website should have clearly had a troubleshooting section to inform you what to do if the automatic installer failer - instead the put the information at the very bottom of the FAQ section of the website.

You shouldn't have to look up instructions in how to install something. Either way, I'm very happy with Sprocket.

+1

You should never have to look up instructions to install software. If you have to, that is laziness on the part of the developer. Forehead install technology was perfected back in the 1990's there's no excuse these days.

Forehead install: You insert the DVD or click the download link, it pops up a screen asking if you want to install the software, you smash the keyboard with your forehead to say "yes" and it installs everything properly.

So just about everyone in this thread has misunderstood Infiltrator's post :) of course, once you've trawled your PC for the file it installs easily. But I didn't know where it was, and I took a while to find it in my Documents folder. Why it didn't just ask me where to save it I don't know. Why would I want an installable exe in My Docs?

The point of the thread is simple: the auto install didn't start upon download, that's all :) NOT that the install itself was a problem.

Let's be honest, Sprocket have dressed up what should be a simply downloadable file with a front-end GUI download client that sucks. Keep things simple that's the key! Adding a go-between program between Windows & a simple installer is just one more thing to go wrong.

My OA installation didnt start automatically either. I had to search all of my hdd for "sprocket" to find the damn exe.

Its a design failure of sprocket, nothing else.

wow...this thread just goes to show how lazy some people are. There's ONE (1) extra step in the install process and people bitch and moan. Sprocket was the first online distributor I DL'd a game from and I didn't have any problems whatsoever.

Figure it out people, it's not goddamn rocket science

The best way is to constructively make your points and send to sprocket.

There is a contact page on the site, i stated all the things I would like to see for it to run smooth (I had a few niggles when i got the DLC too) and they replied that it was noted, it was "Jan Kunt" who replied, and being British I did frown at the name for about 5mins :)

wow...this thread just goes to show how lazy some people are. There's ONE (1) extra step in the install process and people bitch and moan. Sprocket was the first online distributor I DL'd a game from and I didn't have any problems whatsoever.

Figure it out people, it's not goddamn rocket science

Can I suggest you go back to the beginning of this thread & read carefully because you're missing the point :)

Edited by Infiltrator_2K