Sign in to follow this  
BF2_Trooper

From the creators of Birds of Prey: Apache Air Assault.

What do you sim fanatics think of this upcoming "Apache" simulator?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-apache-air/704696

To be fair, it's not from the devs of Il2: Sturmovik. It's from the Devs of Birds of Prey. I think this distinction is important because Il2 Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, and 1946 are sim games for the PC developed by 1c Maddox, and Birds of Prey is an action game for consoles developed by Gaijin.

It looks cartoony but fun :)

The theme for the trailer almost went into dubstep there for a second and then chickened out.

Edited by Max Power

Looks like Comanche 4 on steroids .. i´m in :thumb_down:

Hopefully it´s gonna have coop!

Simulator? Pardon?

[sim-yuh-ley-ter]

1. any device or system that simulates specific conditions or the characteristics of a real process or machine for the purposes of research or operator training: space simulator

Looks like it can be one hell of a nice arcade game though!

Looks quite nice imo, but

:eek:

I got all excited then I saw that :(

Looks awesome, maybe the PC will get an improved version like with Wings of Prey (speaking of which I'm going to try the demo and consider buying it).

I got all excited then I saw that :(

Looks awesome, maybe the PC will get an improved version like with Wings of Prey (speaking of which I'm going to try the demo and consider buying it).

iisnt that what were getting? Storm over britain or something.

Awww, I also got excited when I heard IL-2 Creators and Apache Sim. :(

The theme for the trailer almost went into dubstep there for a second and then chickened out.

Yeah, there was a hint of drum and bass.

Edited by Daniel

Apache air assault? Didn't this come out on PC a few years back and then Longbow apache air assault?

It looks neat but if its a sim why is it only on consoles and no mention of PC? (Console sim?) I see alot of elements that look realistic but a few things that look a bit odd..it looks like it could be fun but I'm seeing a bit too much action here and not enough display of avionics and weapons systems..

I guess I've crossed into the level of 'nerd' when I find something like this makes me more excited than high octane action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ILqIQDaio&feature=player_embedded

On a side note, why game companies keep modelling US Army apache with British apache requipment?

IE sensors on the EFABS and all over the body minus the afghanistan kit (snesors below the gunners door and on the wingtips) pain schemes are curious...The green and tan suggests japan but the model suggests they didn't do their research because the JGSDF longbow's have no 'acne' Then again upon looking every paint set has them so I guess they used the AH MK1 as their base..thats fine..if it were a UK Longbow.

Edited by NodUnit

But does it have Combat Helos Rotor cam? :)

eCkT1q55YQg

Combat Helo looks a lot more simmish I think.

But does it have Combat Helos Rotor cam? :)

Combat Helo looks a lot more simmish I think.

Oh gawd it really is like having your eyeballs torn from their sockets by the stems (quote from the dev blog)..What about tail rotor cam :232:

Edited by NodUnit

@ OP just avoid using the word "simulator" or at least give some warning that it is an arcade game......and there would be less heart attacks upon viewing that video :p ...........might be a nice game though.

Combat helo....now that looks nice......but is the start up sequence in the Apache really that short ? I dont know i guess i am used to switching on large amounts of random buttons in my beloved black shark :rolleyes:

@ OP just avoid using the word "simulator" or at least give some warning that it is an arcade game......and there would be less heart attacks upon viewing that video :p ...........might be a nice game though.

Combat helo....now that looks nice......but is the start up sequence in the Apache really that short ? I dont know i guess i am used to switching on large amounts of random buttons in my beloved black shark :rolleyes:

Western aircraft vs eastern, don't forget the black shark and apache are two different things entirerly, for one you have to do everything in the Ka-50 whereas in the AH-64 two crew perform seperate jobs, plus this was avionics nothing to do with weaponry (hence WIP), no system checks and so on (at least i don't think so but again KA-50 and AH-64 two very different aircraft)

Can't say on the startup time, hard to find videos of it at the moment and many skip segments but remember, the startup was only to activate the avionics, no system check, no weapons, countermeasures,radar and so on.

Edited by NodUnit

The 'western' equipment is usually designed to be very userfriendly and thus you might get the same effect of 15 button-presses in the Ka-50 on one single button in the AH-64. Benefit is that it's easier to learn, and as long as everything works it'll be really quick and easy to use. Downside is that if one system fails you are in more trouble than in the Russian stuff.

The Russian gear is made to last and to work. Pilot comfort and useability is lower priority. Upside is that the pilot has full control of every single system in the helicopter, since there is an actual analog switch for everything, instead of relying on working MFDs to be able to interact with the helicopter.

Thanks all....yeah I understand that for most modern western crafts most of the avionics and electronic equipments are initialized automatically, but for some reason I thought the the engine start up at least would be a bit more involved (obviously i am not talking about system checks here). But any ways it is pointless i guess to comment on the combat helo video because like you said it is wip.

Thanks for the videos NodUnit

depends on what it simulates, either that or people are beginning to stretch the term "simulation' a bit too far.

I might give it a go.

I'm not so into helicopter gunships that I want it to be all that hardcore.

If it's anything like Apache Air assault was for the PC then it won't be too complex...double tap key for the engines to come on, thats your startup.

All weapons useable, hellfires having LOBL launch mode but can be used at any distance, M230 can slave to a target, wheel brakes, you both pilot and gun. If you fly too close to a tree, building or just anything that would smack the rotor then say hello to the ground. (no other damage systems though it looks like they have added some)

Flars dispense in countermeasure or illumination, lights can be turned on and off, radar range can be extended and shorted, flight model seemed okay, inertia is taken into account.. I think that covers it.