Curious to know whether there have been improvements to AI behaviour in urban areas so the CQB improves?

Love your work and commitment Robalo as always. Do you know if all of this will transfer across to Arma3?

Read earlier that asr ai is dac compatible. That's good news as asr is one of my must haves while I've just started using dac which is phenomenal .

Anything I need to adjust to get the best experience and make sure asr always get preference once dac has done moving the units to way points.

The only possible conflict I know of is with the DAC unit caching and the ASR_AI "lone guy reinforces another group" features. I've taken measures to disable it for the next version (already included in 1.16 beta1) but to be on the safe side, set this in your mission's init somewhere:

asr_ai_sys_aiskill_join_loners = 0;

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Curious to know whether there have been improvements to AI behaviour in urban areas so the CQB improves?

Love your work and commitment Robalo as always. Do you know if all of this will transfer across to Arma3?

I haven't made any CQB specific improvements other than increasing aiming speed since previous versions and making sure not to mess with the combat stance when units are close to buildings (they're pretty good on their own when they're near objects in general).

Then there's the thing with AI using buildings in combat too.

No idea how much of this will be ported to A3, ideally as little as possible, right ? :)

Edited by Robalo

The AI is much better. Thank you!

One thing i'm missing is that AI-s could garrison/search buildings.

Found another issue with crouching.

In Takistan which is a desert units spot enemies 500m away. It immediately forces crouch stance on them. And then they move to contact crouch-running which means the approach happens at snail's pace. Note that they never came under fire.

i think the ai is too accurate. i'm using regular difficulty. what can i do? sorry if it has been explained.

Use cover, use concealment. Don't stay in the same place for too long letting enemies zero on you. Don't expose yourself. Don't go alone against 3 or more guys.

I guess the only thing added in that aspect was the AI entering buildings. I've got some WTF moments seeing marine buddies shooting from near building's rooftops exactly like I was doing. That certainly boosted immersion to the roof (no pun intended :)).

Seeing enemy infantry running tactically (crouched) behind fences perpendicular to my position is great too.

Found another issue with crouching.

In Takistan which is a desert units spot enemies 500m away. It immediately forces crouch stance on them. And then they move to contact crouch-running which means the approach happens at snail's pace. Note that they never came under fire.

Noted. But I wouldn't call crouch-running snail's pace. And they have more chances getting there undetected if they don't open up. Anyhow, this stance tweaking is the only thing keeping me from releasing 1.16. Reworked it completely a few times and it just always something not right about it. We'll see.

They need to go into that stance and danger mode only when in combat, not when they only see an enemy.

Crouch-running is about 1.5 times slower than the usual jogging pace.

I like the fact they go cautious and not charge in...

Its kinda realistic :)

They need to go into that stance and danger mode only when in combat, not when they only see an enemy.

Crouch-running is about 1.5 times slower than the usual jogging pace.

Well, that's the thing, if they see the enemy, they're in combat.

Default AI handles that well enough.

If they see/know about the enemy they will not run through the open field anymore even while still "aware", taking their way through trees and bushes.

There's really not much difference in their chance of getting spotted while moving standing all crouching since they are moving anyway - but it just makes them move slower and getting tired more.

In fact that getting tired bit is my main concern. It will be nice to know if crouch-running does indeed lower AI accuracy due to fatigue just like it does with human players.

My impression so far is that it does.

I believe it does, but then running faster might even cause more fatigue. It's also per unit's skill, particularly the endurance skill in this case.

Hi somehowe AI didn't rearm themselves with weapons just with one smoke + one hand grenade - standing + waiting close to dead units. Played/tested with vanilla A2OA only, on "Independent" faction/side.

Hi somehowe AI didn't rearm themselves with weapons just with one smoke + one hand grenade - standing + waiting close to dead units. Played/tested with vanilla A2OA only, on "Independent" faction/side.

Hi,

Can you test that with 1.16 beta1 ?

Thanks.

I believe it does, but then running faster might even cause more fatigue. It's also per unit's skill, particularly the endurance skill in this case.

Actually when a soldier is simply jogging - it tires him way less than crouch-running.

Hello, I've mostly been a lurker of these forums for the last 2 weeks and noticed this thread and was quite impressed and intrigued so I decided to register to ask a few questions.

I usually use Six Updater for installing my mods but I read your read me and it's pretty straight forward, however I would like to install it on Six Updater but when I went to the info it said version 1.1 and in the manual download there was 1.9 is it not fully updated on Six Updater? I also saw that there were a bunch of @ASR files would I need them all?

I just generally want the A.I to be smarter in most situations which is what sounds like this mod does exactly, if I leave all of the settings default will it be fine how it is? For example

Features:

- Gives every AI unit randomized skill levels for aiming accuracy, aiming shake, aiming speed, spotting distance,

spotting speed, courage, but within certain ranges, based on unit's type.

The goal was to make the AI better, more diverse and distinct. Some units will be better skilled than others.

For example, a team leader will usually be better than a regular grunt, a SF unit will have the highest skills, while

an armed villager will present the lowest threat.

Users can configure the other skills and set their own levels by editing a userconfig file.

All Arma2, OA, BAF, PMC and ACE units are fully supported by this addon but most 3rd party mods should be too, with

exceptions, like when a regular or insurgent type unit is created based on a SF unit etc.

Third party verified mods: ACE, CWR2, Duala and Lingor units (partially), McNools's Tier1 ops.

- AI radio net (only for servers and single-player).

When a group learns enough about an enemy, it will broadcast information about that enemy over radio to all friendly

groups within a configured range. The info is sent with a delay, so to prevent breaking breaking stealth, quick takedowns

are required. Sending and receiving groups must have radios. No waypoints are set, no orders given, just information sent,

default game AI decides what to do with it.

- When crewmen or pilots have to bail out of their vehicle because it was damaged, they won't be as willing to charge

the enemy as before. They might flee or run for cover instead, until they get into another vehicle when they gain some

courage back.

- AI spotting distance automatically reduced at night (and restored at day). Default is half distance at night, can be changed

in userconfig.

- AI hears gunshots. Default distance is half the range defined for shooter's weapon sound range.

Coefficient can be set in userconfig.

- Dynamic view distance adjustment on dedicated servers. Based on the initial VD setting, servers will continually readjust VD

depending on fog and darkness. Can be turned off in userconfig.

- AI use smoke grenades for concealment when wounded.

I like these features are these automatically enabled or will I have to edit the file?

Thanks for making an awesome mod, I've been enjoying playing with my 3 friends on insurgency with Ace/Acre! Much appreciate your hard work.

Edited by xSeQueL

Anyhow, this stance tweaking is the only thing keeping me from releasing 1.16. Reworked it completely a few times and it just always something not right about it. We'll see.

AI is not and will never be the way we all would like it to be, just leave some loose ends. Your "reworking completely" a feature that most of us are really enjoying like it is now, is worrying me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Press the pause button buddy :). Maybe this much attention your mod is getting is giving you some headaches. Most of us can live with a few bugs. Let the rest suffer ;).

I also like that the AI goes to a more carefull state when they see enemys. It looks realistic and improves their survivability

Another issue I've noticed. After AI commanded squads go into danger mode they sometimes never return from it. It's as if it's always enforced on them so they are permanently doing bounding overwatch even if it's safe and crouch isn't enforced. Probably something gets broken in danger.fsm?

Hi Robalo, yes I did test it with latest ASR_AISkills addon. Vanilla AI (machinegunner) wasn't picking up any weapon on his own doesnt matter which dead body + weapons was there just 1x smoke grenade and 1x hand grenade. Going to test it with 1.62 and see if there is a change....

Hello, I've mostly been a lurker of these forums for the last 2 weeks and noticed this thread and was quite impressed and intrigued so I decided to register to ask a few questions.

I usually use Six Updater for installing my mods but I read your read me and it's pretty straight forward, however I would like to install it on Six Updater but when I went to the info it said version 1.1 and in the manual download there was 1.9 is it not fully updated on Six Updater? I also saw that there were a bunch of @ASR files would I need them all?

I just generally want the A.I to be smarter in most situations which is what sounds like this mod does exactly, if I leave all of the settings default will it be fine how it is? For example

I like these features are these automatically enabled or will I have to edit the file?

Thanks for making an awesome mod, I've been enjoying playing with my 3 friends on insurgency with Ace/Acre! Much appreciate your hard work.

Hi,

I think you got the version numbers mixed up. Latest version on Six Updater is 1.15.1.

There's also v1.16 beta1 on the main download location (dev-heaven) in first post if you're feeling brave or if you want to help test it.

You have lots of options at disposal, but the mod is set to run out of the box, all features enabled. You just install, activate, run.

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Hi Robalo, yes I did test it with latest ASR_AISkills addon. Vanilla AI (machinegunner) wasn't picking up any weapon on his own doesnt matter which dead body + weapons was there just 1x smoke grenade and 1x hand grenade. Going to test it with 1.62 and see if there is a change....

Works just fine in my tests. Just keep in mind it could take a couple minutes for AI not in your group to rearm.

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

Another issue I've noticed. After AI commanded squads go into danger mode they sometimes never return from it. It's as if it's always enforced on them so they are permanently doing bounding overwatch even if it's safe and crouch isn't enforced. Probably something gets broken in danger.fsm?

The pre-danger behavior should be saved and restored after it's clear. Will check.

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

AI is not and will never be the way we all would like it to be, just leave some loose ends. Your "reworking completely" a feature that most of us are really enjoying like it is now, is worrying me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Press the pause button buddy :). Maybe this much attention your mod is getting is giving you some headaches. Most of us can live with a few bugs. Let the rest suffer ;).

I just hope to get it as good as possible and will then think about providing some options.

Thanks for the support :)

Thanks for the response, I ended up downloading all of the stuff off six updater that had ASR in it and it downloaded a pretty cool weapon mod pack aswell called RH.

I started getting errors though from UKF but I just deleted them and now it works fine.

Robalo thank you, for your awesome mod . I love it and next to JSRS its a must have mod for ARMA II , and i hope there will be an ARMA III version of it , if needed OFC :D .

I´ve spoke with Gnome on your TS3 Server already and i would like to know if your mod causes a few problems in missions and campaigns .

The Mission Amphibious Assault in the Harvest Red Campaign couldnt be completed because after i reached the friendly troops with the APC´s , the Trigger for ending the mission doesnt activate.

I also remember playing a custom Campaign and several Missions couldnt be completed because the ASR AI mod of yours messes with the triggers, i think .

Is this something you can fix ? Or is it something the Mission creators have to take in mind ?

The Mission Amphibious Assault in the Harvest Red Campaign couldnt be completed because after i reached the friendly troops with the APC´s , the Trigger for ending the mission doesnt activate.

I also remember playing a custom Campaign and several Missions couldnt be completed because the ASR AI mod of yours messes with the triggers, i think .

Is this something you can fix ? Or is it something the Mission creators have to take in mind ?

Hi,

There's too little info, please open a ticket on the tracker. Most important is to post the .RPT so I can see mods used, versions, error messages.

There is no messing with triggers or waypoints, that would be against this mod's design principles. I actually completed the Arma2 campaign not long ago with ACE, ASR_AI and TPWC_AIS without any problems. Of course, the more complex and feature rich it gets, changes for something to break are increasing. But I need solid info to work with, in order to avoid conflicts, full details with repro missions.

Thanks

Edited by Robalo