Your gunshot hearing works the same as the BIS system, right? Just with the ranges extended to fit the louder weapons of sound mods and the abilities of the human ear in-game?

Hi Robalo,

I have a suggestion for AI improvement, might not be the best of solution but here goes.

Currently there are no FSM that will prevent AIs from entering into a kill zone, and the result of this is that AIs tends to stand or move into the spot where another AI was just killed, resulting in another instant kill for the enemy.

Since with the latest beta that has been a way to do LOS, is it possible to do some improvement in this area where AI will not occupy or move into the spot where another AI just got killed?

Probably ASR mod is the best to have this scripted perhaps? Sorry I have no scripting knowledge what so ever, just suggesting. What do you think?

Not sure about that, sounds a bit too forceful and complex to get it right. Besides, something tells me to stay away from the LOS commands:

be aware that these commands below for LOS checking are computing extensive so use it with extreme caution and only when needed

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

Hi Robalo

When i read this

Just an idea...

Wouldn´t a Debug function not be usefull ? so that i can see lets say as a hint or whatever how far my weapons can be heared from the AI atm?

MCPXXL

Sounds good, will add an option for that. Just keep in mind this is only for the scripted hearing aid, nothing to do with the default AI hearing handled by the engine and tweakable by configs. I don't have the formula for that one.

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Your gunshot hearing works the same as the BIS system, right? Just with the ranges extended to fit the louder weapons of sound mods and the abilities of the human ear in-game?

No, it helps AI hear on top of the BIS system. I did it because often you would shoot and AI would ignore it, at ranges where they would definitely hear it. Could not just simply bump up their sensitivityEar in configs because that would make them hear other things better too, not just weapon shots.

Not sure about that, sounds a bit too forceful and complex to get it right. Besides, something tells me to stay away from the LOS commands:

Cool, wanted to know what your take on it, I do agree it might be complex. Was wondering whether there is a better way to avoid suicidal AIs.

Thank you Robalo. The only thing missing is to stop AI comanders from sending individual units to attack enemys. But I guess this would go to deep

Well you can always use "this enableattack false" in the leader init.

Oh unless you still want the ai to send units just more of them... Yeah that would be nice but I don't even know if its possible for modders.

Edited by -Coulum-

Thank you Robalo. The only thing missing is to stop AI comanders from sending individual units to attack enemys. But I guess this would go to deep

Tonci is correct for use in your own missions; if you want to achieve the same end in a downloaded user or official mission/campaign without the hassle of editing it, use the ai_no_autoengage module from COSLX.

Hi Robalo,

In multiplayer missions like Domination or Insurgency, it seems like ASR AI will override the AI settings which are set in parameters settings.

Is there a way to prevent it from happening?

This AI is lethal, and fire from very long range, I like it. :D

Is there a file I need to edit? I didn't quite get that from the first post.

This AI is lethal, and fire from very long range, I like it. :D

Is there a file I need to edit? I didn't quite get that from the first post.

2. Copy the content of userconfig to a folder named userconfig in your main Arma2 folder.

Optionally, customize your user or server settings by editing the file asr_ai_settings.hpp that should be located in <main Arma2 folder>\userconfig\asr_ai\

You don't need to edit it, but you can if you want to :icon14:

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Hi Robalo,

In multiplayer missions like Domination or Insurgency, it seems like ASR AI will override the AI settings which are set in parameters settings.

Is there a way to prevent it from happening?

It's how the skill settings are designed to work. You can disable it server-wide in userconfig or per mission by editing it and adding a similar structure in the description.ext:

class asr_ai {

class sys_aiskill {
	setskills = 0;                 // Configure AI skills based on their unit type (faction, training etc.) - 0 means disabled
};

};

Just curious if one should take BIS default AI setting or what kind of AI skill/ AI precision is recommended for a less + sometimes strange "single-headshot killing AI"? Something around 0.6 or 0.8?

I noticed, even on regular difficulty setting, AI still do alot of single-headshot kills which is abit overkill.

And they are only using rifles with iron sight.

Edited by ryan80

Well, probably, but it depends on their position, yours, and so on. Playing against other players you'll receive a lot of headshots, even with iron sights, if you let somebody take time to aim at you.

I guess it's only fair if the AI can do the same.

Roballo, great work. Keep it up, I enjoy your mod.

I have a little problem though.

When I disassemble a gun and tell my two AI squad-mates to carry it they often change it for something else when they have time to do so. I can disable rearming globally but it obviously is not the best way to "solve" the problem. Would it be possible to at least disable AI rearming per unit via command menu without any mission editing (as I often play generated missions and don't have much time to mess with it)?

Thank you!

Brief issue I ran into while trying to disable building searching and lone unit joining in a mission via the description.ext.

My .ext entry:

class ASR_AI 
{
class sys_aiskill 
{
	buildingSearching = 0;
	join_loners = 0;         
};
class sys_airearming 
{
	feature = 0;             
};
};

Gives an error in the .RPT/screen:

File x\asr_ai\addons\sys_aiskill\fnc_GetUnitSkill.sqf, line 9
Error in expression <");};_skill = asr_ai_sys_aiskill_sets select _sc;;_i = 0;{if ((typeOf _t>
 Error position: <select _sc;;_i = 0;{if ((typeOf _t>
 Error Zero divisor

I can disable the entire sys_aiskill feature without problem, however.

Hi Robalo,

Your Mod is epic but I found out that AI has too much accuracy in some cases, for example from 700/800 meters I can barely see the enemies and the too much accurate machinegun shots hit me deadly.

does aidispersion can cause this?

thanks

I noticed, even on regular difficulty setting, AI still do alot of single-headshot kills which is abit overkill.

And they are only using rifles with iron sight.

Hard to believe, since it's not designed this way and that part hasn't been touched in a very long time and saw lots of gameplay since. Maybe from another mod ?

Anyway, you can tweak the accuracy.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Hi Robalo,

Your Mod is epic but I found out that AI has too much accuracy in some cases, for example from 700/800 meters I can barely see the enemies and the too much accurate machinegun shots hit me deadly.

does aidispersion can cause this?

thanks

Funny thing, I'm actually going to improve the machinegunners, check a few posts/pages back and see what other players say about them being useless :)

Also see above reply.

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

Roballo, great work. Keep it up, I enjoy your mod.

I have a little problem though.

When I disassemble a gun and tell my two AI squad-mates to carry it they often change it for something else when they have time to do so. I can disable rearming globally but it obviously is not the best way to "solve" the problem. Would it be possible to at least disable AI rearming per unit via command menu without any mission editing (as I often play generated missions and don't have much time to mess with it)?

Thank you!

Not possible at the moment. I guess you are giving the AI a weapon without ammo. With ACE it would be easy to fix, by just putting it on the "back" slot. It's a valid feature request, hope to find some time for it eventually.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

Brief issue I ran into while trying to disable building searching and lone unit joining in a mission via the description.ext.

My .ext entry:

class ASR_AI 
{
class sys_aiskill 
{
	buildingSearching = 0;
	join_loners = 0;         
};
class sys_airearming 
{
	feature = 0;             
};
};

Gives an error in the .RPT/screen:

File x\asr_ai\addons\sys_aiskill\fnc_GetUnitSkill.sqf, line 9
Error in expression <");};_skill = asr_ai_sys_aiskill_sets select _sc;;_i = 0;{if ((typeOf _t>
 Error position: <select _sc;;_i = 0;{if ((typeOf _t>
 Error Zero divisor

I can disable the entire sys_aiskill feature without problem, however.

My bad, for giving a wrong example. If you are adding the asr_ai class in the description.ext you must include all of it because all values will be read from there then (or at least the whole subclass per addon, unless you are disabling it with feature=0)

Edited by Robalo

Funny thing, I'm actually going to improve the machinegunners, check a few posts/pages back and see what other players say about them being useless

Also see above reply

your mod is the only one installed, I meant Machinegunners on a russian APC...could you tell me how to increase bullet dispersion please?

Edited by Bogart

your mod is the only one installed, I meant Machinegunners on a russian APC...could you tell me how to increase bullet dispersion please?

Try vanilla. ASR AI affects only infantry units.

I thought it was only a vehicle but unfortunately it's the infantry which exactly know where I am, so, even if I try to run 600 meters away through a forest they hit me from far away, unbelievable! and as Ryan80 said they are surprisingly accurate which makes the game almost impossible to play.

I thought it was only a vehicle but unfortunately it's the infantry which exactly know where I am, so, even if I try to run 600 meters away through a forest they hit me from far away, unbelievable! and as Ryan80 said they are surprisingly accurate which makes the game almost impossible to play.

You could check some pages back and you will find this was talked and tested a lot. I think you're either missing something (some other addon, some high difficulty setting that's slipping through, etc), or you're exaggerating a little, because I agree with you that the problem of super precise AI (specially during their first shots) is real, but this mod doesn't make it worst, I mean, it's vanilla behavior since 1.60. I have this crazy theory that BIS' random numbers generator tends to zero during their first iterations, and I stand for it. It's the mother of all problems for all I'm concerned :).

I like taking on the impossible. It forces me to improve my game. ;)

Can't say I've noticed them being too accurate. A was running a config with 70-75% accuracy for the regular soldier as well. I like the AI to shoot just as accurately as a human player could. That's why I love ASR_AI - it's so easy to customise. Can't wait for the new version with stance tweaks!

@Bogart & Ryan80:

Check out Jedra's Skills Slider. It works fine alongside ASR_AI (best not to run the JSS_Config, though - see the thread). JSS allows you to fine-tune all the AI skills, so you can tweak the settings to make the AI less accurate but still have them react quickly, etc. Try to find a level where the enemy fire is dangerous but not instantly lethal, & then up it in increments as you get more familiar with the game & better-skilled.

Sorry, don't have time to post the link, just search in "Addons & Mods - Complete"

because I agree with you that the problem of super precise AI (specially during their first shots) is real

I have never notied this. infact, sometimes I will be only 10 metres away from and ai and he has the drop on me, takes a shot and misses... and I set the ai accuracy pretty high via asr.

I'm playing the first mission of this campaign http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11547 and I bet you'll find it really difficult too, maybe the problem is that this guy put every soldier skills at the maximum level.

I have never personally played that campaign but the problem you describbes seems more like a problem with mission design and not a problem with asr ai. Also keep in mind that the mission might not have been built to be playable with certain mods like asr.

Can't say I've noticed them being too accurate. A was running a config with 70-75% accuracy for the regular soldier as well. I like the AI to shoot just as accurately as a human player could. That's why I love ASR_AI - it's so easy to customise. Can't wait for the new version with stance tweaks!

Yep, customization is great. That's one of the main reasons I prefer this ai mod over others. Well that and the fact that it is still being updated and expanded on. Can't wait until the next release. I feel its really going to increase the ai's life span, and if not at least it will make the ai look like they fear for their life. Thanks alot Robablo!

I'm playing the first mission of this campaign http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11547 and I bet you'll find it really difficult too, maybe the problem is that this guy put every soldier skills at the maximum level.

Vehicle accuracy seems over the top indeed, especially in Chernarus. As far as I know I haven't changed that. But in that mission it seems you go against the Russian army which has well equipped regulars and spec ops, a few tanks, a few APCs including one BTR90 and some AGS UAZ that come after you and you and your peasants have to hold them with AKs, a Kord and a few RPGs. What can I say, that seems hard...

A quick note about the default settings: they are made for small coop games, like 4-6 players and medium difficulty, balanced missions. So out of the box, it may not be suited for SP unless you have enough friendlies fighting with you or other counter-balancing features.

Edited by Robalo