Is there any issues using this with UPSMON ? as when i activate this on our Dedi UPSMON does not seem to spawn any units in , take it off and they spawn in again , but when i test it on local host it all works great !?

Anyone using this on Dedi with UPSMON ?

Other than a lot of smoke, I really didn't have any major issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Here is a simple test harness that I wrote while building something else. Run it once with ASR_AI and once without and compare the results in the .rpt that it outputs. To begin the test, just fire a shot in the direction of the enemy in front of you and wait for about a minute!

SkillsTest

In my own testing, ASR_AI controlled is less accurate - this is because the skills Robalo sets are more specific and usually less than the 0.7 (or whatever) all round that the standard skill_enemy usually gives.

OK, I did a lot of testing with your script set. I cannot say I have a clearer picture now of what's really going on, than before the tests... Over the period of 1 minute, your script clearly shows the AI shoots you more and hits you less. But something was not quite right with those results. So I modified your code a little, to give me the time between the first shot and the first hit, for every guy. And that's when I started to see some numbers to back my general feeling when playing with this mod: Most of the AI, most of the time, kills you with their first rounds. I can see that this mod is doing what it should, and it's a lot better to have it loaded than not, but there seems to be a problem with the way BIS handle the first shots, like disregarding the supposed skill of the shooter.

I said I cannot say I know what's going on because once I started tracking the effectiveness of the first rounds, I got all kind of crazy stuff. For example, the first rounds during the first 20 seconds where deadly, but if I waited 1 min. before starting the shooting, the first rounds rarely hit me, and it took for 2 of the 3 units about 15 sec. before they hit me (the same guys that hit me with their firsts rounds, during the first 15 sec. of the simulation.)

So regarding the original Robalo's assertion that AI is less accurate with this mod than without it, I'd say that overall it is true, but the accuracy varies in time, and so does the validity of the premise.

OK, I did a lot of testing with your script set. I cannot say I have a clearer picture now of what's really going on, than before the tests... Over the period of 1 minute, your script clearly shows the AI shoots you more and hits you less. But something was not quite right with those results. So I modified your code a little, to give me the time between the first shot and the first hit, for every guy. And that's when I started to see some numbers to back my general feeling when playing with this mod: Most of the AI, most of the time, kills you with their first rounds. I can see that this mod is doing what it should, and it's a lot better to have it loaded than not, but there seems to be a problem with the way BIS handle the first shots, like disregarding the supposed skill of the shooter.

I said I cannot say I know what's going on because once I started tracking the effectiveness of the first rounds, I got all kind of crazy stuff. For example, the first rounds during the first 20 seconds where deadly, but if I waited 1 min. before starting the shooting, the first rounds rarely hit me, and it took for 2 of the 3 units about 15 sec. before they hit me (the same guys that hit me with their firsts rounds, during the first 15 sec. of the simulation.)

So regarding the original Robalo's assertion that AI is less accurate with this mod than without it, I'd say that overall it is true, but the accuracy varies in time, and so does the validity of the premise.

I'd say your problem is more with the time after spawning than with the mod in general. The skill settings are applied after spawning, so dependant of the amount of units you're spawning and the amount of other scripts running at mission start, the skill may kick in a little to late for your test. Do you get the same results when running the test scenario for a couple of minutes before testing the results? I've been using this mod since forever but never experienced first shot first kill events in regular missions that much.

Hmm yeah - that mission only has three AI units and a player and there are no scripts running (other than the hit handler and ASR_AI if it's loaded). It could be that the ASR_AI takes a little while to initialise (the processing runs post-init). I suppose that in most missions, you would not be engaging in the first minute anyway so maybe it's not an issue?

@Guess Who: See the test mission posted by Jedra.

Seba, your post suggested it would be kind of systematic. I just stated I had not experienced such a thing like "first shot is always a kill/hit". I play a lot and mostly with ASR_AI in SP and if there would be some sort of systematic glitch I think I would have noticed.

Hmm yeah - that mission only has three AI units and a player and there are no scripts running (other than the hit handler and ASR_AI if it's loaded). It could be that the ASR_AI takes a little while to initialise (the processing runs post-init). I suppose that in most missions, you would not be engaging in the first minute anyway so maybe it's not an issue?

Yes, init takes a while after mission start. I would suggest to run the test mision with a delay of, let's say, at least 120 seconds. Maybe someone can script in some sort of marker that kicks in when a units init is done, just to be sure that the skills are set before you fire the first shot?

Yes, init takes a while after mission start. I would suggest to run the test mision with a delay of, let's say, at least 120 seconds. Maybe someone can script in some sort of marker that kicks in when a units init is done, just to be sure that the skills are set before you fire the first shot?

I'll look into it again. Init time was supposed to be 5 sec. (as per readme). But I'm going to play half an hour with and without the mod, in a real mission, in urban combat. I'll stay more in the open to see specifically if there is some change in the first shots accuracy. Over the time, I've developed the reflex to shot first or hide whenever I see an enemy AI looking at me at some corner, because their deadly first shot/first burst accuracy, but I'll stay for the sake of the test to see if something change. This behavior got worst after 1.60, mostly because the drop of support for the precisionEnemy parameter. BTW the sliders are set to 0.7 for skillEnemy.

How did 1.60 supposedly drop the "precisionEnemy parameter". I still see it within my A2/OA Profile file (and can adjust it). Does it simply not have any impact after 1.60?

I don't think the init time will be more than 30 seconds at absolute worst.

Mando Missiles uses an enormous scripting base for its functions, and if you don't have good FPS the whole mod stops working. And yet it never took longer than 30 seconds to initialize, and that was for complex gunship FCS.

How did 1.60 supposedly drop the "precisionEnemy parameter". I still see it within my A2/OA Profile file (and can adjust it). Does it simply not have any impact after 1.60?

Not supposedly. There is a statement by Suma and a long and heated discussion in the multiplayer forum.

I don't think the init time will be more than 30 seconds at absolute worst.

Mando Missiles uses an enormous scripting base for its functions, and if you don't have good FPS the whole mod stops working. And yet it never took longer than 30 seconds to initialize, and that was for complex gunship FCS.

ASR_AI has to init every infntry unit on the map, spawned or pre placed. I don't know enough about scripting to determine init times for that to run. What I do know is that the menu for disabeling the rearm feature which comes with ASR_AI sometimes takes longer than 30 seconds after mission start to show up. I guess only Robalo can clearify that.

@ seba: I usually set skills between 1.0 and 0.9 in the options. Works great with ASR_AI.

Well for me, the disable feature option comes up immediately in the menu after the mission start, but soldiers start rearming after some time...between 30 secs and a minute, I think.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?129395-precisionEnemy-in-1-60

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27417

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27851

Basically, what Guess Who told you.

I've encountered a weird issue. Sometimes the AI will pick up NVGs from the dead and use them as binoculars. I've disabled the corresponding line in the useconfig ( binocs = 0 ) but it hasn't helped.

I've encountered a weird issue. Sometimes the AI will pick up NVGs from the dead and use them as binoculars. I've disabled the corresponding line in the useconfig ( binocs = 0 ) but it hasn't helped.

The fact that they use NVGs as binocs is not up to me. I suspect there's a bug with how the item's simulation type is determined.

For the other thing, are you sure they still pick them up after you disabled it in userconfig ? Have you restarted the game after making the change ?

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Well for me, the disable feature option comes up immediately in the menu after the mission start, but soldiers start rearming after some time...between 30 secs and a minute, I think.

Rearming initializes after 15 seconds but may take up to a few minutes depending on how many units are present.

Skill assignment is another story, it is done in parallel for all units 5 to 10 seconds after the mission starts.

The fact that they use NVGs as binocs is not up to me. I suspect there's a bug with how the item's simulation type is determined.

For the other thing, are you sure they still pick them up after you disabled it in userconfig ? Have you restarted the game after making the change ?

Yes i'm sure. I disabled it after the first time i saw it, some time ago. Yesterday after noticing it again i checked the settings file and it still reads binocs = 0. So to summarize. Before disabling the corresponding setting the AI was picking up binoculars as it should have been doing. After disabling it, the AI stopped collecting binoculars but it started picking up NVGs. I'm not sure how often this happens. As i've stated it's been a while since i changed the settings file and it seemed to have worked until yesterday.

Edited by verde13

Yes i'm sure. I disabled it after the first time i saw it, some time ago. Yesterday after noticing it again i checked the settings file and it still reads binocs = 0. So to summarize. Before disabling the corresponding setting the AI was picking up binoculars as it should have been doing. After disabling it, the AI stopped collecting binoculars but it started picking up NVGs. I'm not sure how often this happens. As i've stated it's been a while since i changed the settings file and it seemed to have worked until yesterday.

Ok I just verified and the setting is only for binoculars. The AI will pick NVGs if they think they'll need them. As for why they're using them as binoculars, ask BIS :)

Ok I just verified and the setting is only for binoculars. The AI will pick NVGs if they think they'll need them. As for why they're using them as binoculars, ask BIS :)

It's fine then, i thought that it was a bug but i was obviously mistaken.

Excuse me but was there ever a version that was compatible with A2?

Over on Dev Heaven I saw several versions from 1.7 to 1.14

Edited by domokun

I saw the same behaviour in a test of a COSLX variant (without ASR_ai running). Dunno if they were picking up NVG's but using them as binos looks pretty weird - especially if they are already wearing a pair!

Robalo, thanks a bundle for your great work on this mod - since 1.60 the game would be virtually unplayable without something that can address the issue of the AI laser accuracy.

BR

oRCINUS

Excuse me but was there ever a version that was compatible with A2?

Over on Dev Heaven I saw several versions from 1.7 to 1.14

Can't remember exactly which other scripting commands that I used are not available in A2.

At least the rearming feature requires OA, then the configs are made for OA/CO.

It was always developed with CO actually.

OK thanks. I guess that my friends who are stuck on A2 (misers) will have to realise that all the best mods now require OA ;)

Hi.

first i want to say thanks for make this game better for us.:D

in the #20 post there are some codes recommended for your mod,but i dont know where/how to input them,

some help please,

thanks.

pd:find out how to make it,one more question,what happens if i activate:UltraAI=1;with your mod?

Edited by Metavisor

You are scared :)?! Try it :D

Already did it,better experience. :pistols:

But now i have a problem,when im playing inception with Asano, i find the(dead)contact. then, i cant retrieve documents...

i havent that problem before,only with this addon.

help(playing on expert).

Pd:figured it out.

Edited by Metavisor

Hi Robalo, will you be using this new setUnitRecoilCoefficient command in your mod to stablize the MG gunner or snipers?