Don't use SLX. It's outdated and ruins some fixes BIS did in 1.60

They won't notice each other even when not wounded either because there's a huge flaw in findcover pbo that forces AI to first seek cover and then shoot. Unless they find that cover memorypoint - they won't engage each other even when being in direct view.

Don't use SLX. It's outdated and ruins some fixes BIS did in 1.60

They won't notice each other even when not wounded either because there's a huge flaw in findcover pbo that forces AI to first seek cover and then shoot. Unless they find that cover memorypoint - they won't engage each other even when being in direct view.

I see. I was actually using the "updated" version of SLX done by Gunter Severloh that's has been cleaned up and cherry picked to work with Arma CO. Thanks for the info. I will disable Findcover pbo to see the difference.

Gunter didn't fix scripts inside though.

Also disabling findcover pbo leads to disabling whole SLX (since sys_AI depends on it and everything else depends on sys_AI).

You may see the flaw more clearly if you will do a test mission "enemies come at each other from behind the corner". With SLX there's a high chance that upon seeing each other up close they will simply rush away into some cover.

With ASR AI only (or without AI mods altogether) they will shoot each other almost immediately and only then maybe will run for cover (AI thinks that there probably can be more enemies).

Also disabling findcover pbo leads to disabling whole SLX (since sys_AI depends on it and everything else depends on sys_AI).

Well, in the link below it says that Findcover has no dependencies.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15379

UPDATE: Findcover in my testing does required Wounds pbo, and Wounds pbo requires other stuff too.

UPDATE: Lol, @Metalcraze, I've just gone to the COSLX thread and you raised the same issue there:

"So I've tested SLX AI (slx_ai, slx_ai_dodge, slx_findcover, slx_netcode) with ASR AI and ACE

Seems to work good and some possibly non vanilla behaviour like lying soldiers rolling on the ground to the left or right instead of turning and crawling, some soldiers ducking while moving in combat - is that SLX's things?

OTOH can't be quite sure whether it's a vanilla thing or not - but both an enemy and a frienly AI in the same yard take some time before they spot each other even when running directly into one another."

Edited by Lorca

Hi Robalo, I really like your mod but I think I may have found a minor hiccup. in the user config you can assign different addon units different levels of skill by specifying their class names. This is great but I don't believe it works. My us marines (reg 2) are consistently getting owned by african rebels (which I have assigned to the ins 2 class in my user config). after a bunch a tests I have found the rebels have faster spotting and similar aim as the marines even though I have set up the marines to the have significantly better skills in both these categories in the user config. I also tried other addon units with similar effects. It doesn't, seem like this feature is working unless of course I am doing something wrong. I only play with ace and I have all it's ai related pbos deleted. Has anybody else run into this problem? Can you look into it when you have time Robalo?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Hi Robalo, I really like your mod but I think I may have found a minor hiccup. in the user config you can assign different addon units different levels of skill by specifying their class names. This is great but I don't believe it works. My us marines (reg 2) are consistently getting owned by african rebels (which I have assigned to the ins 2 class in my user config). after a bunch a tests I have found the rebels have faster spotting and similar aim as the marines even though I have set up the marines to the have significantly better skills in both these categories in the user config. I also tried other addon units with similar effects. It doesn't, seem like this feature is working unless of course I am doing something wrong. I only play with ace and I have all it's ai related pbos deleted. Has anybody else run into this problem? Can you look into it when you have time Robalo?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Please create a ticket and attach your settings. I will look for a way to let you enable some kind of debugging to the userconfig for the next update.

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/asr-ai/issues

Okay, I think I was wrong. assigning units to a certain skill level in the user config does work, but I believe the rebels didn't have a camouflage value assigned to them in the ai sensors pbo so they are harder to spot which leads them to spot other units quicker than they themselves are spotted. Does this make any sense. If so I will definitely make a ticket for it.

@fruity rudy, lol! that vid is funny as hell!

Okay, I think I was wrong. assigning units to a certain skill level in the user config does work, but I believe the rebels didn't have a camouflage value assigned to them in the ai sensors pbo so they are harder to spot which leads them to spot other units quicker than they themselves are spotted. Does this make any sense. If so I will definitely make a ticket for it.

@fruity rudy, lol! that vid is funny as hell!

Yeah, thanks for that :D

Coulum, it's possible but I don't know which units you're talking about. If you give me more info I can verify.

The units I used were the African rebels included in Isla Duala. There classnames are:

ibr_rebel11

ibr_rebel22

ibr_rebel33

ibr_rebel44

ibr_rebel55

ibr_rebel66

ibr_rebel77

ibr_rebel83

ibr_rebel95

ibr_rebel102

ibr_rebel111

ibr_rebel125

ibr_rebel132

ibr_rebel145

ibr_rebel151

ibr_rebel162

ibr_rebel173

ibr_rebel184

ibr_rebel195

ibr_rebel206

ibr_rebel217

I also used Afghan army and police units from here

There classnames are

ANA_Soldier

ANA_Soldier_GL

ANA_Soldier_AT

ANA_Soldier_MG

ANA_Soldier_AR

ANA_Soldier_Medic

ANA_Soldier_SL

ANA_Soldier__Light

ANA_Soldier_Crew

ANA_Soldier_Scout

ANA_Soldier_Night

ANA_Commander

ANA_Soldier_Marksman

The bottom portion of my user config regarding ai skills looks like so

/* By default skill levels between 1 and 10 are used;

8 and 9 are special skillsets for pilots, not so great infantry combat skills but good spotting

level 10 is also a special level for trained snipers

Defaults listed below, to change, simply edit the values: */

asr_ai_sys_aiskill_sets = [

/* 0 (perfect) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[1.00,0.00],"aimingShake",[1.00,0.00],"aimingSpeed",[1.00,0.00],"spotDistance",[1.00,0.00],"spotTime",[1.00,0.00],"general",[1.00,0.00]],

/* 1 (sf 1) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[0.95,0.05],"aimingShake",[0.95,0.05],"aimingSpeed",[0.95,0.05],"spotDistance",[1.00,0.00],"spotTime",[1.00,0.00],"general",[0.95,0.05]],

/* 2 (sf 2) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[0.90,0.10],"aimingShake",[0.90,0.10],"aimingSpeed",[0.90,0.10],"spotDistance",[0.95,0.05],"spotTime",[0.95,0.05],"general",[0.90,0.10]],

/* 3 (reg 1) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[0.80,0.15],"aimingShake",[0.80,0.15],"aimingSpeed",[0.80,0.15],"spotDistance",[0.90,0.05],"spotTime",[0.85,0.05],"general",[0.80,0.15]],

/* 4 (reg 2) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[0.75,0.15],"aimingShake",[0.70,0.15],"aimingSpeed",[0.70,0.15],"spotDistance",[0.85,0.15],"spotTime",[0.80,0.15],"general",[0.70,0.15]],

/* 5 (ins 1) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[0.50,0.15],"aimingShake",[0.50,0.15],"aimingSpeed",[0.50,0.15],"spotDistance",[0.80,0.15],"spotTime",[0.65,0.15],"general",[0.50,0.15]],

/* 6 (ins 2) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[0.40,0.15],"aimingShake",[0.40,0.15],"aimingSpeed",[0.40,0.15],"spotDistance",[0.75,0.15],"spotTime",[0.60,0.15],"general",[0.40,0.15]],

/* 7 (civ) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[0.20,0.15],"aimingShake",[0.20,0.15],"aimingSpeed",[0.20,0.15],"spotDistance",[0.70,0.15],"spotTime",[0.20,0.15],"general",[0.10,0.15]],

/* 8 (pilot 1) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[0.50,0.15],"aimingShake",[0.50,0.15],"aimingSpeed",[0.50,0.15],"spotDistance",[1.00,0.00],"spotTime",[0.75,0.15],"general",[0.50,0.15]],

/* 9 (pilot 2) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[0.40,0.15],"aimingShake",[0.40,0.15],"aimingSpeed",[0.40,0.15],"spotDistance",[0.95,0.05],"spotTime",[0.65,0.15],"general",[0.40,0.15]],

/* 10 (sniper) */ ["aimingAccuracy",[1.00,0.00],"aimingShake",[1.00,0.00],"aimingSpeed",[0.75,0.15],"spotDistance",[1.00,0.00],"spotTime",[0.75,0.15],"general",[0.75,0.15]]

];

/* Add class names below to override their assigned skill set */

asr_ai_sys_aiskill_levels_units = [

/* 0 (perfect) */ [],

/* 1 (sf 1) */ ["sf_18d","sf_18c","sf_18z","sf_18b","sf_18e","sf_18a"],

/* 2 (sf 2) */ ["ibr_mutant"],

/* 3 (reg 1) */ ["bink_usmc_tl","bink_usmc_sl","bink_usmc_dmr","bink_usmc_scout","bink_usmc_scout_l","bink_usmc_tl_des","bink_usmc_sl_des","bink_usmc_dmr_des","bink_usmc_scout_des","bink_usmc_scout_l_des","rb_teamleader"],

/* 4 (reg 2) */ ["ibr_bodyguard","ANA_Commander","ANA_Soldier_Marksman"],

/* 5 (ins 1) */ ["ibr_arl_officer","ibr_arl_sniper","ibr_arl_sab","ANA_Soldier","ANA_Soldier_GL","ANA_Soldier_AT","ANA_Soldier_MG","ANA_Soldier_AR","ANA_Soldier_Medic","ANA_Soldier_SL","ANA_Soldier__Light","ANA_Soldier_Crew","ANA_Soldier_Scout","ANA_Soldier_Night"],

/* 6 (ins 2) */ ["ibr_rebel11","ibr_rebel22","ibr_rebel33","ibr_rebel44","ibr_rebel55","ibr_rebel66","ibr_rebel77","ibr_rebel83","ibr_rebel95","ibr_rebel102","ibr_rebel111","ibr_rebel125","ibr_rebel132","ibr_rebel145","ibr_rebel151","ibr_rebel162","ibr_rebel173","ibr_rebel184","ibr_rebel195","ibr_rebel206","ibr_rebel217"],

/* 7 (civ) */ ["ibr_arl_stoner1"],

/* 8 (pilot 1) */ [],

/* 9 (pilot 2) */ ["ibr_arl_pilot","ANA_Soldier_Pilot"],

/* 10 (sniper) */ []

];

The rebels inherit their config from the USMC units and I can't override their config without creating a dependency for Isla Duala:

class ibr_rebel11 : USMC_Soldier2 {

They inherit all the camouflage, sensitivity, body armor etc. Poor choice of a base class. So between them and the marines, it's only the skills and the equipment that's different. It would be interesting to see your exact scenario.

So basically what you are saying is that US marines and African rebels have the same stats in terms of camoflauge and the only way to change this is by changing the isla duala mod itself. The thing is the even when set to lower spotting abilities, the rebels seem to spot the marines faster.

As far a the scenario, it was just a simple one. placed a group of 10 rebels about 400 metres away from a group of 10 US marines on utes airfield. both have limeted, aware waypoints leading directly infront of the other. When the mission starts The Rebels spot the marines first every time and the marines do not spot the rebels until they have been under fire for a couple of seconds. According to the spotting values I have set in the userconfig it should be the opposite way around however.

If you want to download the scenario it is here along with the userconfig I was using. I used ace2 but without the ai pbos.

So basically what you are saying is that US marines and African rebels have the same stats in terms of camoflauge and the only way to change this is by changing the isla duala mod itself. The thing is the even when set to lower spotting abilities, the rebels seem to spot the marines faster.

As far a the scenario, it was just a simple one. placed a group of 10 rebels about 400 metres away from a group of 10 US marines on utes airfield. both have limeted, aware waypoints leading directly infront of the other. When the mission starts The Rebels spot the marines first every time and the marines do not spot the rebels until they have been under fire for a couple of seconds. According to the spotting values I have set in the userconfig it should be the opposite way around however.

If you want to download the scenario it is here along with the userconfig I was using. I used ace2 but without the ai pbos.

The skill assignment happens after 5 to 10 seconds from the start and in your scenario I see both teams spotting each other before that.

Tried it with your userconfig and the marines killed the rebel team and suffered only 1 KIA. For 10 vs. 10 at around 350m I think the marines had a pretty good win. The rebel team even had a slight weapon advantage because of those 2 PKMs.

Anyway, you did make me look at the code again and realize I gave some misleading answers earlier in the thread regarding the asr_ai_sys_aiskill_levels_units override - all classes must be listed there as needed, not just their base classes.

Thanks!

Okay thanks. I tried giving the units a bit of time before getting close to one another and then things work out like I expected them to. Sorry bout that. Thanks for your help.

Looks like a really cool mod. Please tell me, is it compatible with DAC AI?

Yes, it's compatible. If you design a mission with DAC (or UPSMON) and ASR AI in mind you can, if you want, use the variables to disable redundant features, although I don't think this is really needed.

Yes, it's compatible. If you design a mission with DAC (or UPSMON) and ASR AI in mind you can, if you want, use the variables to disable redundant features, although I don't think this is really needed.

One other question, Robalo: DAC replenishes AI via camps - will ASR capture the new AI which are created dynamically during the course of a mission? Thanks again!

One other question, Robalo: DAC replenishes AI via camps - will ASR capture the new AI which are created dynamically during the course of a mission? Thanks again!

Yep, it will initialize all spawned AI.

Excellent Job Robalo.

AI is superb

I could not play with out your AI enhancements.

Thanks for all your work.

I'm going to try this on my server.

Should I be changing my server AI skill / difficulty settings to what's posted in #20?

Edited by Tankbuster

I'm going to try this on my server.

Should I be changing my server AI skill / difficulty settings to what's posted in #20?

Yes, I recommend starting from those values coupled with the mod's userconfig defaults, then you can tweak if/as needed.

Excellent, thanks mate. Changing them now. Heard lots of good stuff about this and looking forward to them kicking my arse. :)

I have been trying this mod with the latest beta build, I am getting completely dumb team mates (they stay in the open under fire, they don't shoot, in few words they got slain like sheep) while I get enemies that look like elites...the last of the Chedakis can match up with the best of Seal Team Six: they engage from the distance, keep up suppressive fire, some of them fire and others advance. What the hell?

Been playing on Veteran difficulty, I thought to lower AI skill in the userconfig file, but won't this get me even more idiot mates?

I have been trying this mod with the latest beta build, I am getting completely dumb team mates (they stay in the open under fire, they don't shoot, in few words they got slain like sheep) while I get enemies that look like elites...the last of the Chedakis can match up with the best of Seal Team Six. What the hell? Been playing on Veteran difficulty, I thought to lower AI skill in the userconfig file, but won't this get me even more idiot mates?

Hi,

If you create a ticket with full details like your .RPT, configs and test mission I can have a look and tell you what the problem could be:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/asr-ai/issues