Yep for ages.

It might be an anim config issue and therefore fixable by a config tweak.

The problem is that even disregarding all bugs AI will never use a pistol unless it runs out of ammo for the main gun.

Pistols are utterly useless for the current AI and only cause problems.

You of course can manipulate the costs for sniper I guess which forces him to use pistol in under 50m engagements but won't it just cause more bugs?

The problem is that even disregarding all bugs AI will never use a pistol unless it runs out of ammo for the main gun.

That's not true. See #1 in my previous post. Properly configured, AI is using the pistol when the target is very close and is scoring way better with it than it would with, for example, M24 or M107.

I'm looking at the animation configs, but it's a whole new world to me. I'm sure the fix is in there somewhere.

In the meantime, vote: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/3168

I wish AI can make good moment in fight,hide, look like a true man

Updated to 1.5 in first post

AI spotting distance is reduced at night (and restored at day). Spotting distance coeficient can be

changed in userconfig (asr_ai_sys_aiskill_nightspotting = 0.5 default, which means half spotting

range at night). Setting this to 1 effectively disables this feature.

AI radio net now enabled all the time.

Half of the group rearming at once while the other waits.

When AI needs new weapon, and has choices (eg. weapon crate), will pick a better match for its unit class.

(sniper tries to get sniper rifle, machinegunner takes MG, Javelin dude takes Javelin etc.)

Snipers always taking pistols.

After taking a primary weapon, AI will switch to it immediately if it was holding a pistol.

Performance optimizations.

@Robalo_AS

I'm really looking forward to testing the new version 1.5. Thanks for all the hard work and communication over the last few days! I'll be sure to report back on the experience.

Nice one! This is by far the best AI mod I could enjoy ever. Playing it with EOD Alpha and Bravo missions is really amazing.

Just come across this mod.

Couple of questions as I am currently using Zeus AI. How does it perform compared to Zeus as I have been using the latter for some time now and this mod looks a lot more detailed?

Does it work on MP (not dedi)?

You can use it together with Zeus.

Just add rearming pbo if you just want rearming

Or replace zeus_core_ai_skills with ai skills pbo from ASR if you want Robalo's AI skill settings to be applied

(note that I'm using ACE version of Zeus so it has some not really needed PBOs stripped away)

Just come across this mod.

Couple of questions as I am currently using Zeus AI. How does it perform compared to Zeus as I have been using the latter for some time now and this mod looks a lot more detailed?

Does it work on MP (not dedi)?

First, this is not a replacement for the Zeus mod. In fact, you can use this with Zeus if you like. The only thing my mod and Zeus have in common is, I think, they both assign better basic skills for the AI.

In my opinion Zeus goes a bit too far with how much it's changing the configs, and with the elements included from GL4 and SLX it tends to break missions unless they're designed for it.

My principles are, the game defaults are mostly OK, try to improve the game with minimal changes, let the user decide how to set things up via userconfig.

This works for all SP, MP, dedi or not. It controls the AI that belongs to the machine where the mod is installed.

You can use it together with Zeus.

Just add rearming pbo if you just want rearming

Or replace zeus_core_ai_skills with ai skills pbo from ASR if you want Robalo's AI skill settings to be applied

(note that I'm using ACE version of Zeus so it has some not really needed PBOs stripped away)

Better: if you want just rearming, set this in userconfig:

asr_ai_sys_aiskill_feature = 0;

For ACE with Zeus and my mod, I would remove these:

zeu_ACE_c_wep_dispersion.pbo

zeu_c_ai_recognition.pbo

zeu_c_ai_rof.pbo

zeu_c_ai_skill.pbo

and play with Veteran and these settings in game/server config:

skillFriendly=0.75;
	skillEnemy=0.75;
	precisionFriendly=0.5;
	precisionEnemy=0.5;

Edited by Robalo_AS

Thanks for the fast replies. I will give it a go!

Thanks for your hard work too on improving the game.

Great updates realy getting the polish :)

I ended up staying away from Zeus, as been said that and GL4 after using for some time was just having to many strange results and also could be unforgiving and I like that way you handle this and also with ACE combined and the new patch I dont think I will mix it up any more.

I had one question (sorry if repeated haven't read the entire thread):

About Radio:

The info is sent with a delay, so to prevent breaking breaking stealth, quick take downs are required.
How long is the delay? Is it fixed or random? Could this be added as a config time limit value at all?
Sending and receiving groups must have radios.
This is a stupid question on my part but are Radios a script value or a physical kit for leaders? I just cant recall giving a radio to a unit .. I think im having a brain fart here, anyone care to un-fart my brain.
just information sent, default game AI decides what to do with it.
So I assume this means that its fairly random as regards if it actually gets ignored or used, what's the probability of it being used as an a attack with the engine?

Some mix of silly questions, but I was just wondering, I keep mixing this up with GL4's reinforcements calling but I assume this is just a "aware" sharing an nothing more advanced. I know that GL4 not balanced using that feature meant you could possibly have an entire army on your one small squad :)

Also the night view values, what are they in comparison to vanilla after the patch that dealt with it? Does 1 = vanilla?

Edited by mrcash2009

Thank you SO much. I tested this last night and it works like a charm!

It was also nice to see your feedback on running with ZeusAI as we also run that too.

For ACE with Zeus and my mod, I would remove these...

Do those recommendations also apply if just running ASR AI & Zeus AI?

i.e. without ACE

@mrcash2009:

The delay is at least between 10-25 seconds, plus a number of seconds depending on how many units are present - I can't give or make an exact value because of the way processing is delayed for performance considerations.

At most, it may take up to total_nr_of_groups + total_nr_of_units/10 + 60 seconds.

Having radios means radio items found in unit's gear:

1. with Vanilla: "itemRadio" by default, all units have it.

2. with ACE, it can also be a backpack radio

3. with ACRE, any radio device

I could teach them to grab these too automatically, but I have never played any mission where the units had the radios removed.

The AI units just become aware, I did not script any specific actions for what they will do. It's up to the engine or any custom scripts you might be running.

For example, AI leader might order some units to attack/engage, or you could have a ZU-23 on a ridge 500m away that was looking the other way, until their friends tell them about you, then it's usually game over for you :)

Night spotting: since I was setting spotting distances up to 2.5 times the original settings, depending on the type of the units, they were a bit too good at seeing through the darkness, even if the engine handles that. To overcome that, I applied a "night-time" coefficient to the spotting range, default is 0.5 meaning night time they see half as far compared to day time. To disable put 1 because when you multiply or divide with 1 you get the same. Or you can set it 3 and pretend you're fighting some aliens that can see 3 times better at night :)

@domokun:

i.e. without ACE

No, only with ACE and the 2.

Edited by Robalo_AS

i.e. without ACE

Without ACE I have GLX.pbo, zeu_sys_AI and netcode removed as they break AI a lot with or without ASR

Thanks for detailed reply Robalo.

I did seem to have memory loss based on radios question after reading your post. I just had this moment of thinking "need to be added" as opposed to "already have in general".

Ok 0.5 for night is good, and in some ways pretty obvious, so glad that's in. Makes stealth missions at night that little more interesting to play, as opposed to placebo effects and trial and error with Zeus and other mods with no values to look at so much.

I applied a "night-time" coefficient to the spotting range, default is 0.5 meaning night time they see half as far compared to day time
Does this value raise via engine when enemy have NV goggles? Obvious in some ways but not sure if yours "caps" the view no matter what or engine will take over, or can you add this ability if not? IE enemy with NV = value of 0.8 or something.

Think this is a mainstay for me now.

Edited by mrcash2009

Good point ! But I have already removed those 2 pbos..

I'm just a little concerned because there's no way we could play with those settings, e.g. precisionEnemy=0.5;

Even at 0.4 we get regularly p4wned by some guy with a rusty AK, 400 yards away and with his first shot!

So we reduced precisionEnemy=0.4 to precisionEnemy=0.35

Or maybe it's just because we're rubbish ;)

Seriously, we only game together 2-3 times a month.

Good point ! But I have already removed those 2 pbos..

I'm just a little concerned because there's no way we could play with those settings, e.g. precisionEnemy=0.5;

Even at 0.4 we get regularly p4wned by some guy with a rusty AK, 400 yards away and with his first shot!

So we reduced precisionEnemy=0.4 to precisionEnemy=0.35

Or maybe it's just because we're rubbish ;)

Seriously, we only game together 2-3 times a month.

Perhaps you were running other addons that change weapon dispersion, like:

zeu_ACE_c_wep_dispersion

Thanks for an awesome addon Robalo_AS.

One question though, do you need to modify the Userconfig by default as in some testing, a Russian KSVK sniper ranked up to Sergeant with full skill only sees my squad leader from approx 200 metres away standing up and jogging.

This was on the Utes runway, both facing each other at either end of the runway.

Thanks for an awesome addon Robalo_AS.

One question though, do you need to modify the Userconfig by default as in some testing, a Russian KSVK sniper ranked up to Sergeant with full skill only sees my squad leader from approx 200 metres away standing up and jogging.

This was on the Utes runway, both facing each other at either end of the runway.

That's how it is I'm afraid, even if you double the spotting distances, but then everything changes once the shooting starts. I will see if that can be improved.

Hi!

do you need to modify the Userconfig by default

Aren´t the Features of ASR AI Skills disabled (commented) by Default in the Userconfig, Robalo?

I have made an interesting Discover. I have done a similar Test as aeggwards1 did.

I´ve put a BLUFOR and OPFOR Sniper on both Ends of the Runway. One as Player and the other Playable. No Init Commands used. First, i look with the Player Sniper through the Scope without shooting, so i can only see the other. Then i switch to the playable Sniper and do the same. Both start to Fire over long distance. The Problem seems to be that the Snipers from the Start only looking over their Rifle. Since they´re looked through their Scope and see the Enemy, the Firefight begins.

Aren´t the Features of ASR AI Skills disabled (commented) by Default in the Userconfig, Robalo?

All features are enabled by default. You can leave the userconfig alone or you can go disabling/tweaking stuff.

All features are enabled by default. You can leave the userconfig alone or you can go disabling/tweaking stuff.

Ah, I am confused now then!! In the config file (asr_ai_settings.hpp) both;

asr_ai_sys_airearming = 1;

and

asr_ai_sys_aiskill_feature = 1;

are commented out. From this, I had kind of assumed that they were disabled by default. In the missions that I want to use these features, I was setting those values to 1 in the init.sqf.

Have I misunderstood how this works?