Sign in to follow this  
AnimalMother92

[Request] Frosty screen resource

I've been using cameraView == "INTERNAL" || cameraView == "GUNNER". Any advantages to using positionCameraToWorld?

No, in fact cameraView looks to be the ideal option. I just wasn't aware of its existence. :)

Just tried that and it actually works pretty well. I created a second overlay by rotating the first by 180°, then had them fade in/out alternatively at 5 second intervals. I also reduced the opacity on the overlay a bit, because I felt it was a bit too intrusive on the screenshots.

This looks great! :yay:

This looks great! :yay:

I expanded on it a bit by creating 4 different images and writing a scripted loop that fades to a random one every 5 seconds (and never the same one twice in a row). The only downside to this is that having 4 versions of the overlay weighs in at ~5MB.

Anyway, I uploaded the whole package including a sample mission. :)

Download FrostyScreenOverlay 2.

Nice for singleplayer immersion (no problems getting 20-30MB missions with lots of sounds and images) or addon maybe. But nah, I don't think I'm willing to put much into a MP mission. Considering I'm pushing 4MB soon already... :(

Nice for singleplayer immersion (no problems getting 20-30MB missions with lots of sounds and images) or addon maybe. But nah, I don't think I'm willing to put much into a MP mission. Considering I'm pushing 4MB soon already... :(

Still, I would recommend using one of the new images instead of the first one. It's more subtle. :)

I uploaded the whole package including a sample mission. :)

Download FrostyScreenOverlay 2.

When I use this the overlay is in the middle of the screen and not on the edges:confused:

What do I have to do to get it so its only around the edges??

I haven't tried it yet, but I had a look at description.ext. Try to replace:

x = -0.3; y = -0.12;

w = 1.6; h = 1.24;

with

x = safeZoneX; y = safeZoneY;

w = safeZoneW; h = safeZoneH;

That should stretch the image to the full screen regardless of aspect ratio and resolutions. I'm not sure what happens on triplehead displays though.

Nice to see how this idea has really taken off, gotta try out that new version MDX, looks sweet :)

Too bad my mission folder is around 10mb now >.<

I haven't tried it yet, but I had a look at description.ext. Try to replace:

x = -0.3; y = -0.12;

w = 1.6; h = 1.24;

with

x = safeZoneX; y = safeZoneY;

w = safeZoneW; h = safeZoneH;

That should stretch the image to the full screen regardless of aspect ratio and resolutions. I'm not sure what happens on triplehead displays though.

Ah yeah, the safe zones. Had heard about those but completely forgot about them when I made the example. Great to hear that it works better that way. :)

I bow to your superior scripting knowledge. :notworthy:

Nice to see how this idea has really taken off, gotta try out that new version MDX, looks sweet :)

Too bad my mission folder is around 10mb now >.<

There are several possibilities to get a smaller size:

1. Only use two of the images for the cross-fade. Still looks pretty good and reduces the overall size by half.

2. Downsize the images to 1024x512. Should make each image 75% lighter. On the downside, they will look less sharp in game.

By using both methods, you have <1MB for the effect instead of 5MB. But you would also trade off some quality. I think I'll give this a try and see if it still looks okay. :)

Update: Tried it with smaller size (1024x512) and only two images instead of four. Still looks great, even at 1920x1080. :D

Edited by MadDogX

ROFL, yeah right :D Just had to scrap the entire nights work and remove one of them simple features :p

Speaking of resources, anyone have a some kind of oxygen mask view overlay? Dust goggle overlay would also be nice. I kinda drew something myself in PS but it's just a placeholder for now.

ROFL, yeah right :D Just had to scrap the entire nights work and remove one of them simple features :p

Speaking of resources, anyone have a some kind of oxygen mask view overlay? Dust goggle overlay would also be nice. I kinda drew something myself in PS but it's just a placeholder for now.

Yeah, this would be great.

Maybe some ambient overlays too (black borders that look like drawn or somewthing).

I could give it a shot if you want. The frosty overlay took me about 2 hours to make, so goggles should be done pretty quick, as long as I know what I'm aiming for. :)

5000988304_1cd2f54696_z.jpg

Well, this is what I have now for a dust goggle, lol. I might do a little hue on the interior. Big issue for me is efficiency, the one I have here is only 86kB in size. I also have 10 "clouds" (used on the satellite view) which is only 6kB in size each, and that is with having a 3x3 tiling built in :p

But, these together adds only 140kB to the mission. Complete with logos, screen blood, and screen dirt etc, I'm passing 1MB just in graphical resources. So it's already getting a bit out of hand (for a MP mission).

What am I looking for? Something very small in file size (40-80kb) that has a resemblance to what looking out of real goggles do. I wear glasses myself, and even them I tend to notice are there, despite being thin in the frame. And they also have a function in the mission; during these dust storms (wind and no rain), if you look into the wind (depending on wind strength), you will get slightly blurred vision.

For the oxygen mask (forced during HALO while in freefall), I'm envisioning slightly more obstructed view, although I don't really have a clue how it would look like from inside the helmet.

Hmm, looking at this, maybe one could get away with just an additional resource along the bottom of the screen, using HALO and dust goggle at the same time. Would save some bytes...

What do you think of this?

goggles.jpg

It's fairly simplistic, but works. The .paa file is only 512x256 (~57KB) but still looks good at 1920x1080. :)

I also added a slight yellow hue, but that's easily changed. :)

Infinitely way better than mine, that's what I think :) Yeah I wouldn't want more hue than that, just about perfect I think.

Of course this will come with the ability for the soldier to wipe it off when they feel it distorts their vision too much right?

Because that would be realistic, anything less is just a fantasy.

For the record, I've worked in snow and -32 degrees in the past and never had this problem, so I'm thinking this must be for some mission where a soldier was buried in the snow or something, like that zombie mission, yea, that's it frozen zombies, how yummy.

Edited by callihn