Sign in to follow this  
bfcrusader

Satellite View

Ok, so there has to be a satellite view for planning routes and such. How will it look?

Will the game follow the same general idea of how Supreme Commander 1 & 2 do it with zooming in and out on the map? It would be a very cool feature if they can implement that. It would bring so many strategic options with it. If you want it that way that is.

Will there be waypoints instead of A -> B sailing available? I think so anyway, kinda has to have it since back then it was because of limitations that it didn't have it.

Will it give you the ability to do satellite specific stuff, like thermal scan and stuff?

As Weather seems to play a part in the game this could be on the Satellite too. Pushing an attack in bad weather appeals to me.

Yes, but in order for the satellite to not be too powerful a tool, it should have a limit.

Hmm, maybe the satellite could be controlled by the carrier in such a way that it follows it in orbit and has a specific radius around the carrier it can scan. Thus it can't, for example, find the enemy carrier off the bat.

The islands' positions should already be known at all times, no matter the distance. However they wont be able to be scanned unless the carrier enters a specific range. I also like the weather idea and the weather prediction range of the satellite would be about the general range between islands.

That makes it an invaluable tool to make sound decisions regarding which island to take next, if one island is beset by a storm.

I know a good limit, which was also in Battlezone.

You could build a radar building in that game, and if you used it the enemy could detect you using it.

It basically gave you away to the enemy while also revealing some of their units, which means it was a risk to use and the player should decide if it's worth the risk to get that extra intel or just probe the enemies defenses with scouts.

Adding weather having an influence on this would be great too.

Yes, that's a nice limit. Would this radar building be part of any island types or what did you have in mind?

I'm thinking that perhaps defense islands are supposed to have it. Or perhaps there could be dedicated intel islands altogether?

be smart if you could just fire near orbit sats off the ship and they can be shot down....

I guess it would be nice to be able to build this on an island instead of shooting a satelite into space. In space, it's just gonna be there. But when put on an island, that makes that island of extra strategical importance.

Protecting it or capturing it becomes that much more important. Dedicated intel island sounds nice.

Personally the more choices the player gets, the more i enjoy the game so that would indeed be excellent. Depending on the amount of intel islands you have, the radar becomes more effective and gives away more of the enemy.