Sign in to follow this  
Pipemould

Constant BSOD in OA

I managed to pick up this game earlier this week but since I got it I am constantly plagued by BSOD's with the error either saying 'Hardware Error' and nothing else, or this - http://i52.tinypic.com/slmzv6.jpg

- Win7 64bit

-Asus P7 P55D-E LX

- i5 760 2.8 OC@3.8

- 4gb DDR3

-GTX460 1gb

-1tb (About 800gb free)

-Patched to 1.54

- Operation Arrowhead only

- No Mods

- Target Line on Shortcut is default

- Playing Single Player only (Haven't managed to make it through the first mission due to problem)

I have logged it through the CIT(?) but not really getting any results so just thought I would try here as well.

The PC is 3 weeks old and was custom built by a PC shop. I have had no errors or BSOD's outside of Operation Arrowhead and can run pretty much everything I've tried at max settings. With OA I have tried turning everything to the lowest setting (apart from screen resolution which has stayed at 1920x1080) but still getting this problem.

I have tried a vanilla install, the 1.52 patch and the 1.54 patch as well as the new beta patch but same thing every time.

Would love to get into this after many years on Op Flash and only just getting something capable of playing Arma II. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Pipemould

Im pretty sure the BSOD have little to do with Arma. What i think is happening is that when you start arma your processor gets loaded pretty hard and u get the BSOD due to your overclocking. You overclocked by 1000Mhz - this should be ok for your i5 but when load gets on your processor the troubles starts to kick in. What you describe is excactly what happened to me when i overclocked, some more volts to the processor cured the prob. Carefull now, you might fry the i5 if you dont know what you are doing.

Start running Arma with no oc to your cpu - if no prob there you know where the troubles are located (oc). Remember that Arma is very hard on the processor, and that might very well be why you only seem to have the BSOD when running this game/sim.

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

The latest NVIDIA drivers give me BSOD on my SLi 285s, I rolled back to the previous ones and the problem was gone. Don't know how they would effect the 460 but it is worth a try.

If you got an extra PCI soundcard check if its IRQ is shared with the gfx card. I had BSODs after 45min in ArmA until i put the soundcard into another slot. System felt much more responsive (even in windows) and no more BSOD since then.

)rStrangelove;1745661']If you got an extra PCI soundcard check if its IRQ is shared with the gfx card. I had BSODs after 45min in ArmA until i put the soundcard into another slot. System felt much more responsive (even in windows) and no more BSOD since then.

Interesting :) How do you do this (checking the IRQ) ? Do you need to physically remove the card from its slot and plug it somewhere else ?

That's one hefty overclock, Pipe! Are you overclock-savvy or did you just buy it all tweaked out without expecting (or knowing how) to change any of the settings?

The first thing you have to do is to put your i5 at stock settings and see if the problem goes away. Even though OA is the only app giving you trouble, your OC may still be the problem. Often, only a few, specific apps give you trouble when OC'ed. For example, I could game forever at 4Ghz on my E8500 but I could not even start any sort of backup application.

Note that if you do change your bios settings, you may not remember all the values you need to put it back the way it was. Who knows what tweaks were done. If you find that the problem is gone, you may still be able to OC but maybe not as much as 1Ghz.

If you got an extra PCI soundcard check if its IRQ is shared with the gfx card. I had BSODs after 45min in ArmA until i put the soundcard into another slot.

WOW - there's a blast from the past! Looking at the "details" of the device under Device Manager, I think, will show you the IRQ being used.

EDIT - Wow, I just looked at your BSOD...that looks like some heavy duty s#%* that line about a clock interrupt not being received. Bets are now being taken on it being your overclock.

Edited by DesertJedi

That's one hefty overclock, Pipe! Are you overclock-savvy or did you just buy it all tweaked out without expecting (or knowing how) to change any of the settings?

The first thing you have to do is to put your i5 at stock settings and see if the problem goes away. Even though OA is the only app giving you trouble, your OC may still be the problem. Often, only a few, specific apps give you trouble when OC'ed. For example, I could game forever at 4Ghz on my E8500 but I could not even start any sort of backup application.

A friend of mine who is a bit of a OC genius (not being sarcastic) adjusted it bit by bit. The PC, being watercooled managed to still maintain a nice low temp setting.

EDIT - Wow, I just looked at your BSOD...that looks like some heavy duty s#%* that line about a clock interrupt not being received. Bets are now being taken on it being your overclock.

Well I just got home from work a few hours ago and first thing I did was wind the clocks multiplier down from 22 to 20 (CPU speed is now at 3.5ghz) and then tried OA, game ran fine, was able to finish the first mission without a hitch and play part of the second one. :yay:

Cheers for all input everyone.

Interesting :) How do you do this (checking the IRQ) ? Do you need to physically remove the card from its slot and plug it somewhere else ?

Start/All programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information.

Open Hardware Resources then open IRQs, wait for refresh.

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Anyone happen to notice this post, 2 above this one?

Game crashing to desktop or freezeing or BSOD

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76670

Do a search first before posting.

I hope that wasn't a dig at me. ;) I did a search previously and I submitted a report to the CIT about 4 days ago which you can see here....

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/13576