Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

Hope the gameplay is something like RUSE!

I just got the new game RUSE and the gameplay is great. This is one of the best RTS games I have played. The gameplay is slow pace compared to most RTS and you must use the land and your head to win the game. I would like to know what you guys think about the gameplay if you played and what do you guys what from CARRIER COMMAND.

You know I really fancied this game, so it actually works and is possibly the great game I had imagined it. Since my PC celebrated its fifth and will be sixth in November birthday I’ve been out of touch with games. The closest I get is on a eight year olds 360 and he owns me on the FPS.

I’ve always liked games that are not rush and kill that you have to actuallu plan a route and consider what the other side will do rather than who can build the most the quickest.

Edited by sav112g

I only tried an early beta version of the game, but it seemed really boring. It may have something to do with the fact that I had no idea what it was I was actually trying to accomplish.

Anyway, BIS has their own vision for CC. I wouldn't try to make such "suggestions", especially ones so general as "make the gameplay like RUSE". I would imagine that if BIS wanted to make the gameplay like RUSE, they would make a clone of RUSE. And that's not their style.

The closest thing I can think of that would make CC more strategic is IF the developers design the game in a way that lets you control your Mantas/Walruses in a strategic way instead of just assuming control of each individual unit as in the old classic.

That's not to say it will be like RUSE per se. Just that it will be more strategic.

As long as they give the player the option to do so, then both hardcore fans and newcomers should be both pleased. Should fans who prefer the old tactical control like to keep it, they just ignore the strategic part and that's that.

Being a fan of the old Carrier Command, I personally can say that I would've liked more strategic options. Back in the day I didn't even think of it because I was a kid and too hooked on the game to think further.

Nowadays after playing numerous games, many strategic, I can definitely say that, while still fun now and again, CC could use such an upgrade in this new incarnation.

As for making CC more like RUSE, try playing Battlestations Midway/Pacific and you basically get what you're looking for.

Having spent many hours days playing the original I’m really looking forward to all the systems of the Ship that simply could not be done back then.

Ship Defence systems and intelligence systems I’m especially looking forward. I think if they can crack the balance right between FP fighting in Vehicles and being locked away in the bowels of the ship working on tactics and onboard systems then it willl be a great game.

I just don’t really want to run up a beach on this playing FPS but if its there then hay. I’d rather mastermind Support, repair and supply to fighting units and plan mass coordinated attacks from the ship along with the odd trip out to fight.

I only tried an early beta version of the game, but it seemed really boring. It may have something to do with the fact that I had no idea what it was I was actually trying to accomplish.

Anyway, BIS has their own vision for CC. I wouldn't try to make such "suggestions", especially ones so general as "make the gameplay like RUSE". I would imagine that if BIS wanted to make the gameplay like RUSE, they would make a clone of RUSE. And that's not their style.

I don' t know why but I find your replay somewhat RUDE!!! Have you played ruse. Do you know what the gameplay will be like with CC? What type of gameplay would you like! Please tell:cool:

The closest thing I can think of that would make CC more strategic is IF the developers design the game in a way that lets you control your Mantas/Walruses in a strategic way instead of just assuming control of each individual unit as in the old classic.

That's not to say it will be like RUSE per se. Just that it will be more strategic.

As long as they give the player the option to do so, then both hardcore fans and newcomers should be both pleased. Should fans who prefer the old tactical control like to keep it, they just ignore the strategic part and that's that.

Being a fan of the old Carrier Command, I personally can say that I would've liked more strategic options. Back in the day I didn't even think of it because I was a kid and too hooked on the game to think further.

Nowadays after playing numerous games, many strategic, I can definitely say that, while still fun now and again, CC could use such an upgrade in this new incarnation.

As for making CC more like RUSE, try playing Battlestations Midway/Pacific and you basically get what you're looking for.

Yes I played both and I must say that midway was far better then Pacific with strategic options. Yes Midway had more game options but it made the game more run and gun if you know what I am saying.

If this game plays anything like ruse with BOHEMIA twist of play then this game is going to be a hit in my eyes maybe not yours. We really have no clue about this game do we.:confused:

The gameplay would be like Carrier Command I guess. I played it abit back then, and I remember it was not RTS. Kinda like a carrier sim... I think, hence the name Carrier Command I suppose... I also did not remember it was any fun back then, probably because I was still a kid, and the word strategy and tactic are like alien language to me. Now, I'm looking forward what it will bring.

As for making it like RUSE, I havent played RUSE but I would expect people that like the original OFP would not like the how current DR played

... I also did not remember it was any fun back then, probably because I was still a kid, and the word strategy and tactic are like alien language to me. Now, I'm looking forward what it will bring.

I think for me it was the fact you controlled so much that I loved. You could send out the Walrus to an island and take off in a Manta and fly it around while your ship was being moved as well all at the same time.

See I came from the BBC etc and Elite and I loved the freedom, Game looked like crap to today’s games but hay back then it was fab.

Imagine commanding a air and sea attack with many units and you can jump into any one of these units and fight or scout and at the same time order you ship to move or jump to battle stations and today you know it will look unbelievable. :yay:

I played the beta of RUSE and liked it, but I haven't bought it yet so I don't know how the finished product is.

I don't know if that's the same type of game play BIS is going for in CC though.

Imagine commanding a air and sea attack with many units and you can jump into any one of these units and fight or scout and at the same time order you ship to move or jump to battle stations and today you know it will look unbelievable. :yay:

I like the sound of that.

Simple improvements over the original that would not touch the spirit of the original (and it's freedom) would be, imho:

- Automated AIs: if you're busy with an important Manta Bombing Run, and some guy's (or enemy carrier) plane comes to attack your carrier, it should use the AI to launch flares and fire the lasers. The oposite is true as well; if you are driving the carrier in shallow waters while shooting an Island with the laser, the AI should control all craft on the field to have them survive/continue attacking. Something simple as Assault/Defence would do the trick.

- Different carrier-types: why not? imagine choosing between Epsilon / Omega from the original (to name these 2 only). Omega had Amphibious capabilites (who needs walruses?), forward firering cruse missile and superior speed. Epsilon had Hull Strenght, Lasers, Walruses(less dangerous in case of failed attack runs), and Flares. An additional type could be a real carrier (lots of mantas) but no walruses (Chopper ACCB drops ?)... etc.

- Map Editors (man I can Imagine twisted Single-Player scenarios already)

- Real-time weather systems (allready tought to be in the game)

- Different manta/walrus types.

- Day/Night Cycles.

- Multiplayer.

I really would like a chopper type of unit to be included. It could have a mix of abilities and load-outs similar to Mantas and Walruses. Like what you said, ACCB drops and troop drops (since we know now that troops will be a part, only they are supposed to be launched from the Walruses.) As for other capabilities, I said somewhere else that the "choppers" should have slightly better armor and maneuverability but reduced speed.

It could have side mounted rocket launchers or laser cannons (if lasers are part of this game) or whatever. Each individual weapon has less damage output than their Manta counterpart to make sure that its ability to fire in two directions at the same time isn't overkill.

More thoughts?

ewww ... RUSE was fail ...

So was ArmA :troll:

RUSE only failed because the devs dropped it, Up to release it was looking very good. And I liked the concepts behind it, too.

Mostly the very well balanced larger scale battles, whilst incooprating tactics using the idea of ruses and deception.

Putting infantry in forests to destroy enemy tanks was fun. :)

So was ArmA :troll:

RUSE only failed because the devs dropped it, Up to release it was looking very good. And I liked the concepts behind it, too.

Mostly the very well balanced larger scale battles, whilst incooprating tactics using the idea of ruses and deception.

Putting infantry in forests to destroy enemy tanks was fun. :)

MR. Dwarden I have to disagree with you RUSE was a great game in concept that play well online but not a lot of people got hooked. It was better then most RTS!

Big ben do you know who Dwarden is! Wow calling him a troll. You have a Big pair of balls and you support codemasters and that game lol. How is OFPRR LOL take care ben hope to see you on ARMA soon!

If I'm not wrong I think he was calling himself a troll for saying what he did to Dwarden? ;)

MR. Dwarden I have to disagree with you RUSE was a great game in concept that play well online but not a lot of people got hooked. It was better then most RTS!

Big ben do you know who Dwarden is! Wow calling him a troll. You have a Big pair of balls and you support codemasters and that game lol. How is OFPRR LOL take care ben hope to see you on ARMA soon!

Haha, I was being sarcastic, just playing a joke.

Because I thought RUSE did alright up until the last minute.

Haha, I was being sarcastic, just playing a joke.

Because I thought RUSE did alright up until the last minute.

Ben I was playing with you! I know you know who he is

You want Ruse, play Ruse. Carrier Command is going to be Carrier Command.

Indeed, it's supposed to be a multi-faceted game with strategy, tactics, simulation and direct-action. Strategy wise it should keep the strategy of the old game while implementing a bunch of tools to aid you, like a more advanced route planning system just to name one example.

You like Ruse? Play Ruse. You like naval strategy/tactics/action? Play Battlestations.

This game will be quite unique and stand out, as it should.

I played ruse for a while but I didnt't like the gameplay, even if it tried to be something new. It was like - rotate quickly your artillery because the enemy is sending his tanks at you from all directions, but only one or two at the time...:j: maybe it impressed console players but if you have played realistic RTS it was lame.

going offtopic closing, this thread was anyway victim of necromancy ...