Sign in to follow this  
hellsgate9999

saved missions and general editing questions.

greetings i hope i am putting this in the right section. I will get right to the point.

I want to edit a few of the offical missions that come with arma 2 OA where are those files saved at and how would i go about editing them?

I like to play around with the editor alot but i absolutely hate populating the maps. It takes forever. since you can go into a random generated map and play sec ops im woundering if there is anyway you can populate a map in the mission editor like that? Like randomly generate a secops map then load it up in the editor some how to edit it and put your own special missions in?

If you think of anything else that is relevent please share. I have much to learn. I have other questions about the editor like how to give your guys diff weps and stuff but im pretty sure i can find how to do that on my own but i could not find the above no matter how hard i looked so any info/help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. =)

greetings i hope i am putting this in the right section. I will get right to the point.

I like to play around with the editor alot but i absolutely hate populating the maps. It takes forever. since you can go into a random generated map and play sec ops im woundering if there is anyway you can populate a map in the mission editor like that? Like randomly generate a secops map then load it up in the editor some how to edit it and put your own special missions in?

=)

Isn't that what the Ambient Life In Civilian Environment module does for you in the editor ?

I'd highly suggest reading the FAQ posts and some of the other recent posts. Also find a nice tutorial for making a mission and walk through that. Take things slow, and start simple. :)

OPFEC's Beginners Tutorial is a great place to start. It's based on an ArmA2 map, but even if you only have Operation Arrowhead you can basically follow along.

i searched Civilian Environment module but i am not finding anything i will google it next but could you post a link in case i don't find it i would appreciate it.

ty again Kylania i am in the process of reading through the post's and stickys but i am still not finding answers to my above questions of course it is entirely possible that i am over looking it. I will keep looking but if anyone could give me a link to the answers to the questions i would very much appreciate it.

really i am messing around with the editor alot but where it stands i don't have any urge to create a full mission yet. i am still playing with the basics and having fun with those but how to auto populate and edit the offical missions is something i really really want to know o_0 lol

I am taking it slower then you might think ^_^

O also in case it matter (I am not sure if it does or not) but i am using the steam version and i have Arma 2 and OA both installed.

To open an official mission you'll need a tool to "unpbo" them. cPBO or Eliteness are both popular choices. One requires you to change some registry settings and the other to download multiple separate DLLs, but both work nicely.

Once open you'll have a folder called missions.pbo or missions_e.pbo and inside you'll find folders of all the missions. Copy whichever one you want into your Mission Editor folder (my docs\arma2 other profiles\your arma name\missions) and then you can open them in the editor.

Be aware though that a LOT of what happens in official missions is hidden and controlled by scripting and FSMs, so it's not all obvious just from the editor.

I want to edit a few of the offical missions that come with arma 2 OA where are those files saved at and how would i go about editing them?

I like to play around with the editor alot but i absolutely hate populating the maps.It takes forever. since you can go into a random generated map and play sec ops im woundering if there is anyway you can populate a map in the mission editor like that?

The Ambeint civilan Module, which spawns Civilians.. Ambient Civilian vehicles module spawns civilian vehicles and Ambient Combat module which spawns opfor blufor and/or resistance units should cover whichever aspect of this you want.

Like randomly generate a secops map then load it up in the editor some how to edit it and put your own special missions in?

A sec ops map just uses the secops module.. which randomly generates premade missions close to you on the map.

Which you could also place.

Using any combination of these modules with your own mission specific objectives should pretty much cover what your looking for if i'm understanding what your wanting.

Check out the linky at bottom for a basic run down of what each can/can't do optional parameters and the basics of getting them working.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:ArmA_2:_Editor_Modules

Edited by Servoinvicem

Woosh!

Awsome. ty for the advice/info. you guys are awsome and get a cookie. =)

Anything else anyone wants to add feel free

I found info regarding Alice on google and i am now reading up on it. once again thank you guys.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Oooooooooooo

i c now it's in the modules. ok now i can narrow my search down by like alot lol. i was searching Alice thinking it was a program and i was googling things like "populating arma maps auto" no wounder i couldent find anything.

I just wanted to update anyone reading this that i am an idiot lol.

i was playing around with it just now and it does not spawn a whole lot and what Ai it does spawn just stands there so i am looking up some modules toturials now hopefully i will find everything i am looking for but if someone wants to post a tip or too feel free i need all the help i can get. =)

i was playing around with it just now and it does not spawn a whole lot and what Ai it does spawn just stands there so i am looking up some modules toturials now hopefully i will find everything i am looking for but if someone wants to post a tip or too feel free i need all the help i can get. =)

Thats what the optional parameters are for. You can customize how much/what how often etc. Takes a bit more time learning than just plopping the modules down but its certainly more simple than scripting the whole thing yourself.

:confused:

ok hours of reading/testing has gotten me no where at all.......

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Combat_Manager

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73393&page=4 Only got to page 4 before punching myself in the face.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=89775&page=4 can't even get this to show up in the modules list wtf am i doing wrong?? i followed the read me to a T and put everything where it's supose to go!

I have been reading guides and tutorials like you would not believe. And i got to the point where i am just ****** off. i know i should be understanding this. but it is all freaken giberish. All of it. please o please o please give me some links to "Modules for dumies" i beg you i am so aggravated it's pethetic.

:(

if anyone could send me some like idiot proof vids or sometihng i would love you forever and if after reading this you think im just to stupid to ever get this just tell me know so i can give up and not waste my time trying anymore. :(

*sigh* im going to get stoned. gnight all.

Update.

Ok after getting nice and baked and getting a goods night rest i am rdy to try this again. Sorry for venting Lol

anyways i sent a IM to the creator of JTD Ambient Civilian Traffic module to hopefully seek some guidence on the installation but i am also gonna try to troubleshoot here. also get a little bit more in depth of what i know and what i need help with so please if you have any advice/info feel free to share.

I downloaded the JTD Ambient Civilian Traffic module and followed the read me

@JTD

Userconfig

and key folders all in my arma 2 root folder which is steam/steamapps/common/arma 2

I then load arma 2 up both reg and combined forces and go into the editor i then (I think it's f7 but i would have to double check) click modules and put down the Ambient civilian module. i then double click and look for yours but it is not in there. at the very least it's not under Jtd anything. i checked double checked and checked again but it is not there. keep in mind i am new to all this so maby there is something that no one is telling me that should be common since that is not cause i am an idiot?

Ok next up. I know how to do waypoints and i know how to put guys in cars and stuff i pretty much know all the basics. I also now how to make artillery work through a number of ways and paratroopers i learned how to do these through youtube vids when i look at directions like these.

You can manipulate several ACM settings by calling pre-defined functions. The ACM needs a little time to initialize, so before calling these functions, please wait for initialization to complete. This can be achieved by looking at a variable stored inside the ACM itself: initDone. Assuming you named your ACM myFirstACM:

//Make a script wait for the ACM to initialize.

waitUntil {!isNil {myFirstACM getVariable "initDone"}};

waitUntil {myFirstACM getVariable "initDone"};

[edit]Example

Here is a basic example of what you would put into your init file for your mission if you were to want specific units to spawn from your ACM. Assuming you named your ACM "BIS_ACM1", if you wanted a second ACM, copy and paste the below code beneath it renaming all the "1"s to 2s, with your second ACM named BIS_ACM2.

Put this near the bottom of your init, have a sleep command before this.

//ACM settings

waitUntil {!isNil {BIS_ACM getVariable "initDone"}};

waitUntil {BIS_ACM getVariable "initDone"};

[] spawn {

waitUntil {!(isnil "BIS_fnc_init")};

[1, BIS_ACM1] call BIS_ACM_setIntensityFunc; //Sets the intensity of the ACM, in other words, determines how active it will be. Starts at 0 ends at 1.0, its been known to fail using 0.7 and 0.8

[bIS_ACM1, 400, 700] call BIS_ACM_setSpawnDistanceFunc; // This is the radius on where the units will spawn around the unit the module is sync'd to, 400m being the minimal distance and 700m being the maximum. Minimum is 1 I believe.

[["BIS_TK_INS"], BIS_ACM1] call BIS_ACM_setFactionsFunc; // This tells the ACM which faction of units it will spawn. In this case it will spawn Takistani Insurgents

[0, 0.7, BIS_ACM1] call BIS_ACM_setSkillFunc; // This determines what the skill rating for the spawned units will be

[0.2, 0.5, BIS_ACM1] call BIS_ACM_setAmmoFunc; // This sets their amount of ammo they spawn with

["ground_patrol", 1, BIS_ACM1] call BIS_ACM_setTypeChanceFunc; //If you want ground patrols then leave it as a 1, if you don't put a 0. They will use random paths

["air_patrol", 0, BIS_ACM1] call BIS_ACM_setTypeChanceFunc; // Same thing for air patrols

[bIS_ACM1, ["TK_INS_Group", "TK_INS_Patrol", "TK_INS_AATeam", "TK_INS_ATTeam", "TK_INS_Technicals", "TK_INS_MotorizedGroup"]] call BIS_ACM_addGroupClassesFunc; // This determines which exact units will spawn from the group

i can not make heads or tails of any of that. all it does is make me facepalm. I don't know what to type out and where to put valus or anything. please i know i am prolly making you all face palm too at my incompetence but please bare with me here.

this for example

//Make a script wait for the ACM to initialize.

waitUntil {!isNil {myFirstACM getVariable "initDone"}};

waitUntil {myFirstACM getVariable "initDone"};

What does that mean? I click modules and put down a ACM i then Sync it with player char ok i got that. "Make a script wait for the ACM to initialize" What does that mean??? where do i make a script?? how do i make a script?? what do i put in the script? then wait till acm initializes? when does it do that? how do i know when it does that? when i put it down on the map nothing happens. I am going back to finish reading that topic i posted earlyer but in the mean time if someone could dumb this down for me i would freaken love you. I know if i could just fig out a tiny bit of this i know i can do it i know i can fig the rest out.

it's like if you know how to add 2+2 then you can fig out by yourself how to add 5678+6432/ u know what i mean? if i could just get the minimal basics down i am sure i could fig out the rest.

Anyway i am really sorry to be bugging you guys with all these stupid questions. :(

Ok another update after reading through a few things I understand that i need to make a txt document in the mission folder for some of this stuff. That helps. I have some lines of codes copied down and i am gonna test them in a little while after i am done reading through all of this. (It's starting to feel like i am talking to myself here)

Edited by hellsgate9999

For me this is exactly what I like with the game, it's not just the hours of game play it gives you, it's the weeks of learning with each new section you decide to get your teeth into as well.

Stick with it, and once you get your head round some nifty things you can really start to add more depth to your own missions.

Update.

Ok another update after reading through a few things I understand that i need to make a txt document in the mission folder for some of this stuff. That helps. I have some lines of codes copied down and i am gonna test them in a little while after i am done reading through all of this. (It's starting to feel like i am talking to myself here)

Yes create a text document and copy and paste the script you found.. then save it as init.sqf in folder of the mission you want it to apply to.

Reason ur not seeing alot of answers is alot of this is already covered in the Ambient combat module threads.And the lines are noted in that script.. but well break it down a little more for ya.

[1, BIS_ACM1] call BIS_ACM_setIntensityFunc; //Sets the intensity of the ACM, in other words, determines how active it will be. Starts at 0 ends at 1.0, its been known to fail using 0.7 and 0.8

anything after the // is explaining what that particular line does

the number there is the setting. BIS_ACM1 is the NAME of the ACM module u place. So when u place the module your going to name it BIS_ACM1 if your just going to copy/paste that code. If you have any MORE specific questions you can't find on the ACM thread feel free to ask i'll help if i can.

As far as the 3rd party module I don't use it. Never saw the point.. simply using the civilian mod and civilian vehicles mod will make civilians occasionally hop in a car and drive it. Which is good enough for me.

Edited by Servoinvicem

ty servon after spending 5 more hours reading/testing i am rdy for bed again. Im gonna try and catch me some catfish tomorrow (wish me luck) then i will be back at it.

I read the entire ACM thread and after lots of testing i figured out how to work it. (for the most part.) although all i am really doing is copy/pasting code allready written and changing the values when i look at he wiki i still get confused and i still don't know what it's talking about.

what really got it for me was these posts here.

just do these 5 easy steps:

1.) New mission, in the mission create the player/group

2.) Place Combat Module, name it BIS_ACM (for the sake of simplicity)

3.) Save Mission

4.) Go to- My Documents/Arma2/missions, open your mission folder

5.) Create ordinary txt file, paste code supplied earlier, Save As "init.sqf"

When u save a file in notepad you should have 2 lines. Filename and filetype, filetype is a rollout menu. Usually you have 2 choices. Save as TXT or All Files.

Choose all files and put .sqf at the end of your file and it will be a sqf file.

waitUntil {!isNil {BIS_ACM getVariable "initDone"}};

waitUntil {BIS_ACM getVariable "initDone"};

sleep 1;

//Sets frequency and number of patrols (0-1). BIS_ACM is module name

[1, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setIntensityFunc;

//min max spawn distance

[bIS_ACM, 100, 500] call BIS_ACM_setSpawnDistanceFunc;

//factions to be spawned

[["USMC", "INS", "CDF", "RU", "GUE"], BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setFactionsFunc;

//Skill range for spawned units

[0, 0.6, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setSkillFunc;

//Amount of ammo spawned units possess

[0.2, 0.5, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setAmmoFunc;

//Type of patrol. With 0 meaning no chance of appearing, and 1 meaning 100% chance. -1 removes patrol type completely.

["ground_patrol", 1, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setTypeChanceFunc;

["air_patrol", 1, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setTypeChanceFunc;

Note that the values range from 0 to 1 where 0.5 is middle value.

-Frequency wich is the top value as you can see sets how intense it will be. How much patrols will be spawn all the time.

-Next value is 100, 500 wich means meters closest they spawn and meters furthest away from player they spawn.

-Next is the factions to spawn. I added all. Remove some if needed.

-Skill and amount of ammo is self explanable.

-Last but not least is how much GROUND or AIR should be involved. 0 means nothing 0.5 means more and 1 means full load. So for little air but lots of ground forces you would set air to maybe 0.something and ground to 1.

All very informative and easy. wrote the code out and then explained what all of it did step by step. of course i had to wade through a whole bunch of gibberish to get there. this post really sums up how i felt at first.

My problem exactly. I was really happy when I heard about the ACM, but then I look at DnA's post and get instantly disheartened.

---

Some guy: -"Hey, DnA, how does the player choose which factions and units are to appear, and where?"

DnA: -"Oh, pffft. That's easy. All you have to do, is this:"

*Writes down a mile long list of nigh unintelligable gooble-gooble-goo moon language techno gibberish that makes absolutely no sense to anyone not completely into coding, with sentences consisting of words you've never even heard before, with all sorts of commas, brackets and general punctuation in places they seemingly have no buissness being.*

"... And then, all you have to do is write this down into the init-field of the Game Logic, although sometimes you are supposed write it into the init-field of the group leader, although sometimes you're not supposed to write it anywhere, but scream it out loud at your monitor while you're playing. If it still doesn't work, just do this:

*Writes down another mile-long list of even more technobabble.*

that being said are there similar threads or directions for the other modules on this forum? i will prolly start looking tomorrow (although i must admit having to wade through 30something pages to get what i want is not something i want to do again) but if you or someone could link me (i wont be on here till late tomorrow prolly) I would once again greatly appreciate it.

the next module i want to figure out is Alice and the parked vehicle one. more specifically how to spawn more civs and make them walk around and do something besides just stand there lol.

if there is a guide that list all the commands and how i should put them in that is simpler then that dang wiki link me up please. gnight.

caught me a big ol cat =)

anyways i am sad that i have no links. (Sniff) but im off to try to look up some toturials for Alice. soooo yea i will prolly be in here in a few hours crying about how i don't know whats goin on and this is all to hard before i get ****** up and go to bed to try again tomorrow after work.......fair warning.

Alice help would be apriciated.

OK so i got that module working i downloaded awile back but i still can't figure out how to make civs do stuff and spawn more with the ambient civ module i really require some guidence here.... Also another question. how do i loop waypoints? if i was a squad to sentry back and forth or in a circle how would i make the waypoint loop??

Edited by hellsgate9999

caught me a big ol cat =)

anyways i am sad that i have no links. (Sniff) but im off to try to look up some toturials for Alice. soooo yea i will prolly be in here in a few hours crying about how i don't know whats goin on and this is all to hard before i get ****** up and go to bed to try again tomorrow after work.......fair warning.

Alice help would be apriciated.

OK so i got that module working i downloaded awile back but i still can't figure out how to make civs do stuff and spawn more with the ambient civ module?

Ambient civs will already walk around talk to each other etc. As for spawning more Alice is nice in the fact that u can just plug those optional params into the init file you already made such as.

So

BIS_alice_mainscope setvariable ["civilianCount","round (%1 / 10)"]; 

Or you can plug it into the INIT of the module itself

in the init line of the module would be

this setvariable ["civilianCount","round (%1 / 10)"];      

Basically they use a variable formula that you can switch.. or simply remove the formula and do something with a set number which is what i usually do mainly cause i hate having to do tons of math simply to figure out how many civs im going to see on average.

Which would look like this

this setvariable ["civilianCount","25"]; 

Edited by Servoinvicem

ty for the post. I appreciate it

i am missing something i think cause when i put it down (I have not tried your advice yet) but when i put it down the civs it spawns just stand there i mean i have seen a couple walk back in there houses but they don't act like civs do when i manually put them down and waypoint them into dismiss. Any thoughts?

also just so noone post is up i figed out how to loop waypoints was not too hard to figer out.

off to bed.

Cheers.

o just to make sure i got this right. The INIT file i already have for ACM i can put the alice code in there and it wont mess eachother up? I just space a few times and copy it in and not have to worry about it?

i also assume from the example you gave me the Alice mod would have to be named BIS_ALICE. right? i am not sure what you are talking about when you say i can put it in the INIT of the module itself. do you mean in the editor? In the initialization box? so to make more civs spawn i would put

this setvariable ["civilianCount","round (%1 / 20)"];

Or would it need to be like this?

this setvariable ["civilianCount","round (%5 / 10)"];

In the initialization box Right? Would i still have to name the module or no? ty again for the help.

Edited by hellsgate9999

ty for the post. I appreciate it

i am missing something i think cause when i put it down (I have not tried your advice yet) but when i put it down the civs it spawns just stand there i mean i have seen a couple walk back in there houses but they don't act like civs do when i manually put them down and waypoint them into dismiss. Any thoughts?

Other than what they do and how often is kinda random so sometimes they do more than other times.. I've noticed alot less civilian action on Takistan map if your doing that. Also it usually takes them a few mins of being out before they start going on their "daily routine" so if your constantly moving then your just gonna see them coming out of their houses as thats the first thing they do when they spawn.

do you mean in the editor?

Exactly. You can use copy or ctrl+C to copy stuff and Ctrl+V to paste stuff directly into the editor.

In the initialization box? so to make more civs spawn i would put

Or would it need to be like this?

In the initialization box Right? Would i still have to name the module or no? ty again for the help.

no need to name it anything specific if u place it in the initilization box and use This instead of the name it knows your talking about itself. This tells it This module.

Edited by Servoinvicem

Wow that was some really helpful info. Thank you =)

i just got back from work but i am getting ready to play with it a bit.

quick question what does Ambient civs (expansion) do? i think that is how it is listed anyway i will look in a min and confirm but what exactly is it? is it just a better version then ambient civs or does it add civs from OA? can i use the same code in it? Should i just use it or stick with the normal one?

Wow that was some really helpful info. Thank you =)

i just got back from work but i am getting ready to play with it a bit.

quick question what does Ambient civs (expansion) do? i think that is how it is listed anyway i will look in a min and confirm but what exactly is it? is it just a better version then ambient civs or does it add civs from OA? can i use the same code in it? Should i just use it or stick with the normal one?

It supposedly has more advanced coding doing more. But the only difference I have noticed personally is the default civs. Expansion defaults to takistani civs while the normal one gives you chernarus civs.

Edited by Servoinvicem

Hey i have another question lol could someone please link me to a complete weapon/ammo list. also could you please confirm i am doing this right.

in a soldiers INi box to change his equipment i would post.

removeallweapons this;

To remove all weapons and then i would put in

this addmagazine "";

with the mag name in between the " marks right?

this addweapon "";

And then that for my wep right? just confirming i have the code right.

Edited by hellsgate9999

One little thing.

You add the magazine before the weapon so the gun is loaded, if you add weapon first you have to reload the gun before you can use it.

awsome! ty i was just woundering about that.

ty for the link boots i can not seem to find the nade ammo for the GL attachments. where can i find the nade ammo codes? i might have missed it but i went through everything in there and i was unable to find nades or sachel charges or anytihng like that ied's (if they are in the game even) and so on. did i miss them or are they found somewhere else?

Awsome ty Zigzag.

just copied them all down for easy referance.

and now i am off to bed! gnight all. =)

Ahh real quick i still don't see Satchel charges in the list. is the TimeBomb the satchel? that is the only thing in the list i seen that could be a satchel charge. anyway *yawn* Ok im out.

Edited by hellsgate9999