Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 73116

I have a little request to BI. Can you please tweak the install program so that you actually get prompted when the install is finished?

Now when I install a beta the install display mentions that the install is finished after 10 seconds while it is by long not finished. So after 30 minutes I just manually stop the install hoping that it is completed. If I end it to soon I have to reinstall it all over again.

Maybe a problem on your side.

I just installed the beta and like any other beta it took 10 secs max with no problems.

I just installed the beta and like any other beta it took 10 secs max with no problems.

I think he's getting confused because ot the fact that the installer animation keeps going, like files are moving.

I have a little request to BI. Can you please tweak the install program so that you actually get prompted when the install is finished?

Now when I install a beta the install display mentions that the install is finished after 10 seconds while it is by long not finished. So after 30 minutes I just manually stop the install hoping that it is completed. If I end it to soon I have to reinstall it all over again.

It's been my experience that when the installer says it's done, it's done. It's actually incredibly fast despite the warning that it could take a while.

Weapon handling for CQB seems to be improved. If you're standing close to a wall and turn around, the character will slightly lift his rifle and turn without a hitch. :)

Something tells me the guy never tried clicking 'OK' button after the the program itself told him that install was finished.

Jeez. It doesn't even update any files like 200 mbs stable patches, it just unpacks 3 files like self-extracting rar or 7z archive. It can't take any longer than 5-10 secs physically.

Weapon handling for CQB seems to be improved. If you're standing close to a wall and turn around, the character will slightly lift his rifle and turn without a hitch. :)
It was that way all the time!

It was that way all the time!

"All the time" is a bit ambiguous. Since when exactly?

"All the time" is a bit ambiguous. Since when exactly?
Since OA at least...and you can still get stuck if you stand to close and your Gun is to long. The lifting was even in ArmA if you turned and an obstacle is in the way. making aiming right down over fences etc. impossible.

BAF FV510 Warrior cannon sounds are still broken when ur outside the vehicle. (Example, when ur a soldier next to the vehicle NOT when u are playing the vehicle )

You are right in a sense.

However, public beta releases are a bit different story.

They allow our user community and mod makers to be able to check builds frequently and provide feedback.

So generally speaking, adjusting mods so that they work with every public beta would not make any sense.

Mods have to adopt to the changes in the official releases, official releases dont have to adopt to mods. Play some flightsims with 6dof and you wil see the same effects as in OA...AND with the activated cameras shaking you have a induced change in viewpoint all the time while manouvering.

For example. These two shots were taken flying straight and level, looking ~10-20 degrees right.

Typhoon without Beta patch

Typhoon with Beta patch

What we're supposed to see here is the white overlay boxes in the MFDs right, not anything with the green HUD/aiming point? I don't fly and can't make mods so this whole thing is a big confusing to me. :)

What we're supposed to see here is the white overlay boxes in the MFDs right, not anything with the green HUD/aiming point? I don't fly and can't make mods so this whole thing is a big confusing to me. :)

Airplane HUDs are generated using the "Class MFD" command. With this patch its behaviour has now changed. Specifically, anything now drawn using this command is no longer anchored to the spot as it was before. it now moves around the screen relative to your viewpoint.

The two pictures i posted are from the V2.01 RKSL Typhoon im working on. You can see the HUD in green on the top left and MFD#3 on the lower right. These are all drawn using the same command but in separate classes. When using the patch (you can see the difference in the 2nd picture) the drawn items are displaced.

This has a negative effect on aiming weapons. In reality the aim point should not move around with the person's viewpoint like this. And in the case of real world 3D holographic HUDs (Typhoon, Rafale etc) would actually move in the opposite direction. Old style HUD displays (A10, Harrier, SU-25 etc) would not move at all, due to the prismatic nature of the projection plate.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

@ Maruk

Thats logical, but in fact most changes from betas made in into next patch, you rarely droped a feature once introduced, exept it rose a true storm of rejections here.

@ RKSL-Rock

I now understand your dilemma as your mod is linked to the HUD functions.

But on the other hand I see a imrovement in HUD behavior , be it a realistic behaviour or not, Since the whole hud moves now, it may look wierd for the data frames showing altitude and speed. but the gun pipper now points where rockets and shells will actually impact...thats a big + in my opinion and was missing before. Maybe this can be further refined.

o'rly?

arma2oa2010090416031374.th.jpgarma2oa2010090416040668.th.jpg

____OA A10___________CO AV8____

O.K. I see what you have in mind...I did not notice this becaus I prefer to use a very narrow Field of view in cockpits to have a better visual ID capability on ground objects, in fact I would not see the HUD anymore whenever I look 45° to the left or right. Edited by Beagle

...But on the other hand I see a imrovement in HUD behavior , be it a realistic behaviour or not, Since the whoel hud moved now, it may lok wierd for the data frames showing altitude and speed. but the gun pipper now points where rockets and shells will actually impact...thats a big + in my opinion and was missing before. Maybe this can be further refined...

But that just it. The entire HUD should NOT move. The HUD did not need "fixing". The moving gun piper did.

i agree with rock ' date=' this really needs to be changed back[/quote']thats would also remove a finally working gun-, bomb- and rocket- sight. Nothing won!

I've just been checking out the improved tank AI path finding and it does seem better.

One problem I found was with the placement of Waypoints, if you place them near a junction the tanks stop and won't move again.

Mixed convoys are still not possible as other vehicles still want to do anything but follow the leader.

I think the best solution was to separate HUD and MFD completely. If change in HUD direction is to the wrong side, it should be fixed, but it feels to me like a step in the right direction. It might be used as parallax free weapons sights down the line. When HUDs work like this, it clearly breaks how "using MFD to populate other stuff" is used.

So other than fixing the wrong way HUD, "all" that is needed is a similar class which stays anchored. Or if using the same, maybe a new attribute for each element that achors it?

Improved: Tracers visible in all directions.

Dangit, so much stuff on my wishlist! Are old Arma2 players ever going to get these fixes? Or do we need OA to solve A2 problems?

thats would also remove a finally working gun-, bomb- and rocket- sight. Nothing won!

It doesn't need to be removed, just tweaked and refined so it effects only one thing not the entire HUD. and yeah no effect on MFD since they play a key role on advanced aircraft within the community.

I think the best solution was to separate HUD and MFD completely. If change in HUD direction is to the wrong side, it should be fixed, but it feels to me like a step in the right direction. It might be used as parallax free weapons sights down the line. When HUDs work like this, it clearly breaks how "using MFD to populate other stuff" is used.

So other than fixing the wrong way HUD, "all" that is needed is a similar class which stays anchored. Or if using the same, maybe a new attribute for each element that achors it?

It would still be wrong. I'd much prefer an option in there that allows us to define either an MFD or a HUD setup. And a few more animation sources supported wouldnt hurt either. But to properly illustrate what im saying about it being wrong anyway I've made a mockup.

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/favours/HUD_Explanation.rar (the A10 model is from the BI sample models released for A1)

There are the two pics below and the models i used to make them. You can see for yourselves what im on about.

In the real world there are two main types of HUD commonly used:

1. 2D Projected plate - this is the cheap option. Its not really accurate to call it 2D but the 3D aspects of it are very limited. It uses a bit of trig to calculate deflection etc but the projection is truly a 2D image. As a rule this design doesn't account for angle very well and is now commonly used for cheap helicopter sights. But it is still used on older aircraft.
  2. 3D Holographic HUD - this uses a more advanced system of 3D projection to allow for different angular view points which allows the pilot or gunner to ensure he's lined up properly and accurately. It uses a more sophisticated 3D projection method which allows a greater depth of field and therefore more accuracy.

With the "2D" HUD, you can see from the pic below you can easily see that unless you are perfectly aligned in the centre it gives a false indication of where the target point is.

The thing that is flawed here is the actually target que, not the HUD. Its always been moving in the wrong direction relative to the player's viewpoint. Instead of fixing that this patch has compounded the error by moving the HUD to compensate.

As the player viewpoint is being moved around due to G, manoeuvring or just trackIR/Freelook the target que is being moved around the cockpit. Which is not realistic This moving target que is effectively moving the guns around as if on a turret. Which is just unrealistic and makes it a hell of a lot harder to use ingame.

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/favours/2D_projected_hud.jpg

So what should really happen is this:

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/favours/3D_holographic_hud.jpg

Make the HUD static again and fix the target queuing. It should work just like a proper holographic HUD giving you a proper way to gauge angles etc and line up on targets. Exactly like a conventional iron sight on a rifle.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

a bit unrelated but wouldn't that simulate the parralax effect on eotechs?