Sign in to follow this  
Laqueesha

U.S. States and countries with similar GDPs

Better educated people exercise more.

LMAO.

People who work on building sites execise more in my opinion.

The only ones I know who don't look fat are those that do manual labour as part of their job.

Explain all those fat construction workers. :p

Explain all those fat construction workers. :p

Union guys.

Bare in mind, people, that this is presumably not adjusted for PPP.

To make a broad example with arbitrary figures, people in the US might earn on average 50k a year, but accommodation costs them 30k a year, food 10k, buying a car another 10k. In Russia, people might earn 10k a year, but accommodation costs them 1k, food 1k, a car, 1k.

BS. Car prices are even more expensive that the US equivalents, buying your own home, or an apartment somewhere in Moscow is a not only a dream, but insanity.

You got one thing right - you get 10k bucks a year on average in Moscow region. Bear in mind, that those US expenses stay in the country, while the latter nation has black markets of all sorts, plus cash leaking out of the county along with brains.

And then people wonder why a single state/county/conglomeration of somethingsomething has the same GDP as the 'mighty' Russian Federation.

P.S. People burned down their own villages at the time of July-August fires in Russia, expecting to be reimbursed. Mr. Putin did open his mouth on his own, though.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

In laymans terms, if you have a high income, but live in a country with a high cost of living, you're less well off than someone with a medium income, but living in a country with an extremely low cost of living. Thats why GDP adjusted for PPP is more relevant.

Give an example of a country with medium income with an extremely low cost of living.

Mustn't be an island.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Union guys.

This.

As for the poor people being fat in the US: all those Alphabet-soup programs that the Feds have will soon run out of other peoples' money. ;)

Common trend with higher standards of living. Matter of education and what kind people are more educated and who are not.

Poor are less intelligent/educated, less intelligent/educated eats lots of bad food (probably booze and beer included). Large quantities of bad food turns poor person fat. Healthy good food is commonly much more expensive.

What isn't an educated point of view is thinking that poor peoples aren't intelligent, and always less educated. Fortunately, some developed countries (should i say, the more civilized ones ?) allow poor peoples to reach a great level of education.

Edited by ProfTournesol

BS. Car prices are even more expensive that the US equivalents, buying your own home, blah blah blah.

Mate, please don't tell me you're arguing why a clearly made up example using arbitrary numbers is wrong. That's just embarrassing.

Give an example of a country with medium income with an extremely low cost of living.

Mustn't be an island.

Why?

Strange, I've an other chart here which doesn't looks that good for the US of A.

I guess it depends on where the researchers are from who put the graph together... maybe slightly over emphasising certain bits.... if you know what I mean :p

But yeah GDP can be a very misleading figure. A decent example of PPP, (not using countries here) is people who live in London often earn more on average than the rest of the UK but the cost of living can be even higher than the increase in income meaning they are worse off in real terms. Obvioulsy that doesn't apply to everyone in London but I'm sure there are a few people in that position...

Mustn't be an island.

My experience of Italy would fit this. Although its purely anecdotal rather than fact. The problem is it varies so much within any single country its hard to generalise a whole nation as low cost or medium income.

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, Spain would fit the medium income low cost catagory as well, once again thats on my experience rather than tons of economical figures...

Why?

Becuase Iroquois Pliskin can only think of islands that would fit the bill :p

Infact just having a quick look at some PPP numbers, Luxembourg is higher than the USA per capita, using IMF figures luxembourg is at just short of $79,000 per capita, the same check on US numbers shows about $46,000 per capita. Now if you were to look at just the GDP the USA would be well into $14 trillion whereas Luxembourg only gets to around $52 billion. Now if (as it often is) GDP is used as a sign of how well off the populous are then the US looks to have much better off citizens but in actual fact with PPP used as a (more accurate) indicator Luxembourg's citizens are much better off.

Edited by STALKERGB

What isn't an educated point of view is thinking that poor peoples aren't intelligent, and always less educated. Fortunately, some developed countries (should i say, the more civilized ones ?) allow poor peoples to reach a great level of education.

Many less developed countries have very educated poor people who remain poor because the economy has no place for them. But I think the relationship between education and prosperity is more solid in the fat, fat, fat U.S.

LMAO.

People who work on building sites execise more in my opinion.

Might be. But i doubt it. That is what i know about constructions works compared to my experience as lumberjack. With exercise i mean sweaty job which puts lungs and heart to work, increases fat burning etc.

ProfTournesol:

I don't know to what you refer with allowing "poor people to get great level of education", but if he has poor family but he has intelligence enough to get into top university and is able to finish it. Then he probably will start to earn more... Then he won't be poor anymore.

As note i'm talking about structure of western nations with higher level of living standards. Where one from poor background can study in university, possibilities of course swift according to nation (free education offers best base to intelligence based student selections). In poor nations this isn't the case. You are right in that.

Mate, please don't tell me you're arguing why a clearly made up example using arbitrary numbers is wrong. That's just embarrassing.

I'm giving you facts from first-hand experience, rather being an assclown who has illogical assumptions.

Actually come to think of it, Spain would fit the medium income low cost catagory as well, once again thats on my experience rather than tons of economical figures...

Spain is turning out to be another Iceland, Greece, Ireland in terms of their long-term prosperity, which is nil because of all that public debt. And you know how they say that Africa begins South of the Pyrenees. :D

Come on, Luxembourg? Do you know their immigration policies? :rolleyes: Might as well consider it an island. :D

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Many less developed countries have very educated poor people who remain poor because the economy has no place for them.

More often that not this situation is cause by the political climate (oligarchy being the main one). There is little to no work due to absence of the private sector either by lack of foreign investment, or by decree of the people that hold such country by the balls.

You may start a private biz and employ x people, but if you are to get successful, expect a visit from either the mafia, or raiders that will shut you down outright.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Where one from poor background can study in university, possibilities of course swift according to nation (free education offers best base to intelligence based student selections).

"The measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest."

I sincerely wish this to be the case in the 21th Century & Beyond.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I'm giving you facts from first-hand experience, rather being an assclown who has illogical assumptions.

educated person who has an economics degree

-edited to be more polite. ;)

That may be, but you took a post of mine which I made very clear was purely designed to illustrate with arbitrary figures why we must adjust for PPP rather than use pure GDP figures, and tried to argue why fictional made numbers are wrong. Not to worry, next time i'll use "country A" and "country B" so that it isn't too confusing for people who don't understand the concept of making up an example to demonstrate theory. :)

Edited by Pathy

He was talking about in the US. And yes, in the US, there is a big relation between poor inner city kids and the kind of education they can expect to receive, and upper-middle class suburban kids and the type of education they receive. Programs instituted by the government (such as King George the Dumbass' No Child Left Behind) which pay higher performing schools don't help the situation, because it stands to reason that if a school is performing well already, they don't need the extra money.

Also, the person who was freaking out and saying that the rich people in America are fatter than the poor people in america have obviously never been to an American super market. Apart from produce (and potatoes aren't exactly healthy), in general, healthy food is normally about double, if not triple the price of canned/preprocessed.

FYI, I work in inner city school systems everyday. I am not just some asshat typing this to sound smart.

And do you feel that the core problem is that the schools are underfunded, or that the kids are underfunded?

I've worked in sink schools all the way up to the most expensive private ones, for me the key differences were not the schools but the students. And not so much the students, more the parents and the facilities and expectations on them that they received at home.

You know if you don't have your own quiet room to study in, if your parents aren't academic or intrested in academia. If you have a part time job so you are always tired in class.. those sorts of things.

It makes no difference to me how much more expensive health food is. A rich person can just eat double the amount of junk food.

Or even double the amount of health food.

Buying healthy food doesn't mean you eat moderately or exercise regularly. It just means you buy posh food.

A can of tomatoes won't make you any fatter than fresh tomaotes, but they will taste better. So if you are someone "who enjoys your food", you might go for the fresh ones.

Potatoes are perfectly healthy BTW.

Eating at MacDonalds doesn't make you fat. Eating cheap food doesn't make you fat. Eating too much makes you fat.

People want to turn this phenomenon into some great rocket science. It isn't.

If you put more calories into your mouth than you take out via exercise you will get fat.

So while some poor people in the world cannot afford to get fat, many rich people can and do.

No matter how fresh the food you buy, no matter how organic, if you eat too much of it, you will get fat.

Edited by Baff1

adjust for PPP

I've met economically educated people that didn't see the housing bubble coming, I've seen the same people preach that recession is over.

Then I told those people to shove their theoretical thinking, and ever since I've been better off by tens of $K.

A person who does not comprehend the notion that all the goods he listed will have the same price in both countries due to Globaliz(s)ation, doesn't deserve his econ. degree.

-edited to be more polite. ;)

That may be, but you took a post of mine which I made very clear was purely designed to illustrate with arbitrary figures why we must adjust for PPP rather than use pure GDP figures, and tried to argue why fictional made numbers are wrong. Not to worry, next time i'll use "country A" and "country B" so that it isn't too confusing for people who don't understand the concept of making up an example to demonstrate theory. :)

I've met economically educated people that didn't see the housing bubble coming, I've seen the same people preach that recession is over.

Then I told those people to shove their theoretical thinking, and ever since I've been better off by tens of $K.

A person who does not comprehend the notion that all the goods he listed will have the same price in both countries due to Globaliz(s)ation, doesn't deserve his econ. degree.

If you say so. Given that you're intelligent enough to try and argue that made up figures are made up, because they don't match the real world, and intelligent enough to carry on arguing it despite clarification that they were always intended to be made up, i'd say you're intelligent enough for me to 'shove my theoretical thinking', and just listen to what you have to say instead.

So, please go on. I think you were getting to the part where prices in every country in the world are the same (due to Globalisation). How about you educate us all.

Edited by Pathy

I'll just say that you've not been out of your castle a whole lot. Come back to me when you've re-payed your education debt and traveled the world.

Make sure to include the Russian Federation along with any other corrupt economies of the old Soviet Union to make your point; be sure to count every landmower, landrover with a trailer and a private boat strapped to it, house (not '50-70 era apartments) and so forth, you see on your journey.

There is a reason why the cargo ships sail due East to the West Coast of the US, not Vladivostok.

Mustn't be an island.

Trinidad and Tobago, A friend of mine is living and working there as underwater welding diver since 1999 and is payed in British Pound via a bank account on the cayman islands. The buy value of the pound in Trinidad is 5 fold compared to the UK.

I'll just say that you've not been out of your castle a whole lot. Come back to me when you've re-payed your education debt and traveled the world.

Make sure to include the Russian Federation along with any other corrupt economies of the old Soviet Union to make your point; be sure to count every landmower, landrover with a trailer and a private boat strapped to it, house (not '50-70 era apartments) and so forth, you see on your journey.

There is a reason why the cargo ships sail due East to the West Coast of the US, not Vladivostok.

Oh my fucking word, you are thick skulled aren't you? How many times do we have to go over this? My example was not a real world example. It used the names of 2 real countries, which confused your simple little brain. Now, this is about the 4th time i've had to try and point this out to you, and you're getting increasingly irrelevant, and increasingly personal in your attacks. I've tried not to get personal back, but excuse me if i'm getting a little exasperated with such blatant idiocy.

What you're doing is the equivalent to going into a forum where they're discussing Orcs in Lord of the Rings and shouting "Thats BS! I've never seen an Orc - they don't exist, so you're all wrong!" - technically, yes, you'd be correct, in that, no they don't exist - but thats not exactly the point of the discussion they were having, is it? If you did that, you'd look like an utter idiot for arguing the obvious & completely missing the point. Funnily enough...

...In the same way, arguing that my example is wrong because it is made up - well-fucking-done, you figured out that a made up example is made up - Want a medal? You can start going on about traveling to Russia (By the way, Russia is on my moderate list of 'have already traveled to' countries), and how in real life Russia this, and Russia that - it's besides the point, it was a fictional example, so you going out of your way to prove that everything I said was fictional infact proves nothing that wasn't already blindingly obvious.

And if, at the end of the day, you're not just rejecting my fictional example, but the entire concept of PPP, then I cordially invite you to write up your thesis presenting the alternative, and send it to an economics journal for publication, because if you're right, then you've better knowledge of how global economics works than anyone else alive. Alternatively, you're just talking out of your arse.

Edited by Pathy

I just had spaghetti i made. It's the fucking bomb. It's great and the sauce is awesome. I live in Washington also knowm as gdp=Turkey maybe I shoud have eaten something no spaghetti. but that's not the point. the point is orcs and the lord of the rings. Yeah orcs aint real, but neither is uh fuck it I give it up. I'm drunk.

Continue your gdp debate.

...Lord of the Rings isn't real?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't fall into depression but study your Tolkiens with more care and you shall find aid in these moments of disturbance.

Tolkien himself clearly pointed to fact that Sun's 4th Era was fall of Middle-Earth culture and creatures while world started to form into The Earth how/as we know it. World was getting more and more into shape which you see in today's maps of Earth.

There are clear marks of rise of Satan, God and other today's (and past's) pantheons as we know them. It was his Silmarillion which gives insights in this, if i recall. Could be some Tolkien other (unfinished) works as well. My Tolkien-knowledge is rusty these days.

So clearly you have no need to fall into depression. :yay:

Reading the last two posts shows a perfect example of this community's diversity :lookaround:. That's why i like it.

Heh, the Czech Republic is landlocked, just like Nebraska!

What's the state with the same GDP as singapore?

South Carolina.

Edited by Laqueesha