Sign in to follow this  
Laqueesha

U.S. States and countries with similar GDPs

Just saw something interesting and decided to share this all with you.

http://bigthink.com/ideas/21182

350816052_0a392a0d28_o1.jpg

Interesting to see how a single American state can have a higher GDP (and in some cases even populations) than many developed, first-world countries. For example, a single American city (Washington, D.C.) has a GDP comparable to that of an entire country, in this case, New Zealand, at less than half a quarter of its population. California alone has a population larger than that of Canada and New Zealand combined and a GDP larger than the former.

Another interesting fact, the United States GDP alone is almost larger than the GDPs of Germany, Japan, China, and the United Kingdom combined.

Edited by Laqueesha

What I find intresting is that California has GDP equivalent to France, but another U.S> state has a GDP equivalent to only Indonesia.

The gap between rich and poor in the U.S. is clearly very large.

Were you seriously expecting these countries to have a similar GDP to the entire US? Its a superpower.

You may almost as well call the European union a country. Its nice how all the US states have stuck together.

Its a bit like China in that sense. A country of very divided people.

LMAO which state is that that has the same GDP as Greece!!!

Sucks to be them.

Were you seriously expecting these countries to have a similar GDP to the entire US? Its a superpower. You may almost as well call the European union a country.

Interesting note: If every country in the E.U. were to federate and combine, the European Union would become the world's next superpower.

Sucks to be them.

Connecticut.

Funny I'm Pennsylvania Dutch, and we're the Netherlands on that map.

Sucks to be them.

No, Greece has over 3x population of Connecticut. Meaning that 1 man from Connecticut is worth roughly the same as 3 people from Greece.

This is because the map uses GDP instead of the more relevant GDP per capita.

GDP alone(as shown on this map) is largely irrelevant. People in really big countries like to count stuff(sports medals, olympic, private economy etc) by GDP rather than per capita, because their higher population puts them at the top of GDP lists automatically.

For instance, according to these numbers, the US is the most successful summer olympics country in the world.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/spo_sum_oly_med_all_tim-summer-olympic-medals-all-time

Click on per capita, and it falls down to number 28, below Jamaica, Virgin Islands, Romania, Cuba, and Tonga, which is a country ive never even heard about.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/spo_sum_oly_med_all_tim_percap-medals-all-time-per-capita

Edited by sparks50

Don't worry. Give us a few years.... we'll be lucky to top Botswana....

I still find it pretty funny that Russia's GDP is equal to that of New Jersey (and vice versa). Perhaps New Jersey could be a superpower? :p

I still find it pretty funny that Russia's GDP is equal to that of New Jersey (and vice versa). Perhaps New Jersey could be a superpower? :p

You know, about Russia, the majority of adolescents there still compare their country's might to the USA, with some nostalgia kicking in about the Soviet Union, like it ever came close to the quality of life of the United States.

Jersey has the nickname "Peoples Republic Of New Jersey". Still fitting.

Coincidentally, Tennessee and Alabama (two very religious states) have similar GDPs to Saudi Arabia and Iran, respectively, which are two very religious countries. Also, Louisiana's GDP is comparable to that of Indonesia, and both of them have been ravaged by natural disasters in the past decade.

Edited by Laqueesha

No, Greece has over 3x population of Connecticut. Meaning that 1 man from Connecticut is worth roughly the same as 3 people from Greece.

He surely weigh as much :D

Coincidentally, Tennessee and Alabama (two very religious states) have similar GDPs to Saudi Arabia and Iran, respectively, which are two very religious countries. Also, Louisiana's GDP is comparable to that of Indonesia, and both of them have been ravaged by natural disasters in the past decade.

Coincidence, I tell you. :868:

Morocco has two Cs in it. Now I'll take my djellaba and my lobster and go home.

Edited by maturin

The gap between rich and poor in the U.S. is clearly very large.

Yes, I'm sure in every other country there is no gap and everyone is the same social status.

Brilliant observation, thanks for sharing... :j:

He surely weigh as much :D

Well done, sir.

If this was a map of Europe, remember, all of these states would be sovereign and independent. Given that that would deprive them of the resources available to them through membership in the most powerful commercial and military empire the world has ever seen, I think the comparison is not necessarily unfavorable to the smaller countries on this map.

N.J. is really equal to Russia GDP? wow, However i would like to see a map that compare improt and exports via states and Compares it to other nations. It would be a intresting look.

I can't ge tover that the GDP of Russia is equally to N.J. Well I guess with a superpower that kinda makes sense. I didn't see my mother Srebia on there. Sad us.

Well, New Jersey does have a lot of industry there, maybe that's what makes its GDP so high.

Its a bit like China in that sense. A country of very divided people.

Lol, I have plenty of friends in California that seem to be quite un-divided to me. And rhode island. And wyoming. And new hampshire....

I think he meant diverse; the USA and the PRC are both very massive and diverse countries.

You know, about Russia, the majority of adolescents there still compare their country's might to the USA, with some nostalgia kicking in about the Soviet Union, like it ever came close to the quality of life of the United States.

It's not just the Russians who do that either. The Cold War may have ended, the Soviet Union may have collapsed, but they still have the exact same ability to reduce your entire country to ash as they always have had for my entire lifetime.

Quite a few countries do.

It's not just the Russians who do that either. The Cold War may have ended, the Soviet Union may have collapsed, but they still have the exact same ability to reduce your entire country to ash as they always have had for my entire lifetime.

Quite a few countries do.

The nonsense continues... Do you really believe all the crap you spew out? Or do you just say stupid shit like that to attract attention?