Sign in to follow this  
nkenny

New Recoil and the AK-74 Series

I have to agree with the OP too , woud be cool if this gets looked at by BIS for the next update ;)

This is a very old thread but I decided to bump it instead of creating a new thread on the exact same topic.

In the Operation Arrowhead config, the AK-74's recoil is the same as the AKM.

recoil_single_primary_5outof10";
recoilProne = "recoil_single_primary_prone_5outof10";

This is way too much for the weapon. It's easy to find out how much the AK-74 series recoils compared to other guns, because many people in the United States own semi-automatic AK-74s and are happy to share their experience. By all accounts, recoil is less than the AR-15 series of weapons, because the 5.45mm is less powerful than 5.56, there is muzzle-break on the end of the barrel, and the basic AK-74 is heavier than the M4 or M16.

For example:

DefenseReview is actually a fan of the AK-74 5.45mm Russian rifle, which is very controllable in both semi-auto and full-auto modes. Understand that the AK-74 weighs roughly the same as a 7.62x39mm AKM rifle, while firing a softer-shooting cartridge and adding a muzzle brake. This is what makes the AK-74 so controllable on full-auto, more controllable than an M4/M4A1 Carbine
I have an Arsenal Inc. SLR107fr (basically a 5.56 AK74) and I am very surprised at the recoil or lack of. It's like shooting a .22 rimfire, and I'm not joking, it actually feels like there something wrong, like it's not really shooting a 5.56. I have never thought much about the recoil of my AR's until I got this 107, not saying the AR's recoil is bad or anything, just really surprised that the SLR107 has none, it has to be fired to understand, it must have something to do with that AK74 muzzle brake, i guess?
My 74 has a brake, so it's hard to compare with a ar without a brake, but the 74 feels like a BB gun. I think the 5.45 would have less recoil than 5.56 even without the brake

Reducing the AK-74's recoil to less than that of the M4 in the game would not only help with realism, but also would help balance the two weapons, since the AK-74 does less damage and seems to be harder to aim at longer ranges.

I see a Community Configuration Project ticket on Dev-Heaven which says work has been completed on this and is due "next full patch", but I'm not sure if that has already been released and if it is related to BIS or not.