roberthammer

DLC - bigger and new maps

Do you want DLC map pack?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want DLC map pack?

• Yes
    • No
    • Better something else

I would pay for a new map like Chernarus (perfect) or at least Takistan (very good).

A nice archipelago could be nice too (lot's of water in between islands like Carrier Command)

For a quality island in the scale of chernarus i would gladly pay.

I would pay for new Sharani, Porto and Chernarus-Map with "OA-Features" ( go inside all Buildings, Interior )

A "Bagdad-Map" (with all points of interest) or the Samawah-Map from JCove (VBS2-Light) would be interesting.

Regards (ST6)Predator

Edited by (ST6)Predator

Since maps are my favourite toys, I would like to see some more big maps as DLC.

regards

im sick of chernarus and takistan mostly because villages etc are like, 1-3km away from eachother. this goes for many popular maps.

im sick of chernarus and takistan mostly because villages etc are like, 1-3km away from eachother. this goes for many popular maps.

How is that a problem ? Too much or too little ?

Is that video of the maps in OA? It looks like there is ambient occlusion on the hills and I'm sure I spotted normal map shading on some of those walls...

I'd probably pay for a map, although the size doesn't really matter (as long as your not paying for something tiny). As long as the map is well thought out I generally find I use it more than maybe a larger one.

I would LOVE new maps!! Thats what we need, more maps.

Chernarus is the perfect size, anything bigger will just take too long and lack detail.

Some new maps would be amazing, desert or temperate.

Better models for buildings or units=smaller and smaller maps over time

This problem was introduced with ArmAII

Thats why we dont have realistic scale territories(witch i ll love..),suitable for

aircrafts.

Personally..i never having problem with the GFX of Sahrani

(only with non-enterable buildings tho..) and today

we could been having REALLY large areas :raisebrow:

you can't really have both.

If you want a island/terrain with real scale, the buildings can't really be enterable.

There is also the matter of cell size

Sahrani is 20x20km with sea areas together - so up to 20x20km should be cool :)

Edited by RobertHammer

For a good, new, big map I think it'd rather suit a proper expansion than DLC, so a 'no'-vote from me. Maps are nice, but from a developer point of view it seems more sane to give a big nice map in the same kind of release as OA.

Better models for buildings or units=smaller and smaller maps over time

This problem was introduced with ArmAII

Wat?

In OFP we had 7 x 7km islands

In resistance that went up to 12 x 12

In ArmA1 that went up to 20 x 20

In ArmA2 that remained at 20 x 20, but was technically a much larger terrain, because it didnt have any sea on 3 borders (~225km^2 landmass, unlike sahrani, which was more like 160km^2 landmass)

And then we get Takistan, which yes, is smaller at 12 x 12

With the exception of Takistan, that looks like getting BIGGER over time to me...

But if you're really going to complain about the size of shapur (which was part of an $10/£8 DLC) then you're beyond help.

Like I said in the beginning of the thread, BIG maps take time to make.

We know from what BIS has said over the years that Sahrani took over 18 months to put together. Chenarus would have taken just as long, if not longer. And its not just terrain you have to create, but all the incidental objects too - buildings, roads, walls, fences, clutter, all that stuff. Thats why you will only ever see smaller maps as part of DLCs, because its too expensive to develop a large map at the DLC price-point, and it takes too long to develop.

new maps are always very welcome and great, but I'd like Bohemia to put more work into AI and vegetation shading. The color textures of vegetation are very basic and they shimmer like hell from some distance.

I'd like them to introduce some dithering into vegetation shading. To dither leave edges looks way better from a distance.

Edited by MrXToTheN

How is that a problem ? Too much or too little ?

where is the fun in being 1km from any settlement? you can't be lost if there are villages everywhere, can you.

Maybe an African map like Duala (Thanks Icebreakr)

also the towns and villages are too close together and also the largest towns or capitals are too small and not vary cityey

Im liking the content the community is making atm.

Get BIS's artists working on Arma 3 man and

for now Arma 2 DLC im still sticking with

AC-130 and module

Someone is probably already making a Medal of Honor type campaign as we speak so im not going to suggest BIS to make one for DLC.

Ill pay for some good engine fixes, but I know BIS is too nice to offer those as such DLC. :)

I'd definetely buy a Map DLC. Especially if I get large Maps for aircombat. Imagine flying in the RKSL Typhoon on a large map! atm it's kinda frustrating that you fly from one edge of the map to the other within seconds.

I'd definetely buy a Map DLC. Especially if I get large Maps for aircombat. Imagine flying in the RKSL Typhoon on a large map! atm it's kinda frustrating that you fly from one edge of the map to the other within seconds.

For this, and for proper mechanized battles, with lots of room for maneuvers. Especially when you throw choppers into the mix.

Air-to-air combat is a little too simple in Arma2, forgivably, but a larger map would make for better strike missions. I've really enjoyed flying CAS in the Su-25 lately, while wishing for a larger map. It would be good to finally have a decent ingress/egress to your CAS station/strike targets/etc. Even in Chernarus, by the time you get airborne you're already on top of your target because the map is too small for (semi)realistic fixed-wing operations.

On a side note, I would love to see a 200kmx200km map, plus a CAS-centric SECOP setup, so you could loiter on station, and respond to random CAS requests, return to base, fearm and refuel, and return to station. Arma2 ain't no flight sim, but the the highly detailed terrain and ground units can make for a very interesting ground attack experience.

Oh yeah, and nobody tell me to go play LOMAC, because I have it, and strafing convoys in Arma2 is still more fun.

Edited by arthur666

If DLCs with new maps start pouring in: that would be great, I could stop working on my map projects and focus on coop missions with my squad ;)

Yes, its a great idea, but I also missing some high mountain with a lot of mountain passes where you can do some Special Operations the same as MoH Tier 1.

Heres are some examples:

bigimage2.th.jpg

bigimage8.th.jpg

bigimage3.th.jpg

What do you think??

Bis could make atleast one DLC with new maps - BIS got new studios ,so they could do something :p

Yes, its a great idea, but I also missing some high mountain with a lot of mountain passes where you can do some Special Operations the same as MoH Tier 1.

Heres are some examples:

What do you think??

They look impressive but the AI still doesn't handle slopes well, they'd need an overhaul first.